Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > The Character's Chinese Zodiac Sign & Element

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

★RavenclawReader★ (stargazer101) | 299 comments If you've read The Fire Horse Girl, or any other book about historic China, Chinese people, etc., this is a very fun thing to look up. You may know your Zodiac sign, but what's your Chinese Zodiac Sign? Does it reflect your personality?

In The Fire Horse Girl, Jade Moon's zodiac animal is a horse, and element is fire.

There are a set of animals in the Chinese Zodiac, based on a legend in Ancient Chinese Mythology.
The Animals:
• Monkey
• Rooster
• Dog
• Pig
• Rat
• Ox
• Tiger
• Rabbit (also known as a cat in some versions)
• Dragon
• Snake
• Horse
• Sheep

Monkey
Years: 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016
The Sign of Monkey is the most versatile Sign in the Chinese zodiac. Clever, curious, and mischievous, they adapt well to changing environments and could be manipulative in order to achieve their own goal. Quick-witty, they have the ability to understand what is happening, and then make a right decision. Monkeys usually have a happy childhood, but bthey could get into upset and confused stage in their mid-age and their plans are often miscarried. As they grow older, Monkeys will be able to increasingly enjoy a simple, everyday life.

Rooster
Years: 1921, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005, 2017
The Sign of Rooster symbolizes the character traits of pompousness, confidence, and motivation. Roosters like to be noticed and flattered. They are conscious about clothing and appearance, and always manage to look attractive. Roosters have a strong “sixth-sense”. They are sociable and good at small talks. Although sharp, practical, and resourceful, Roosters are dreamers too. They tend to seriously pursue their dreams and push their life to the high points and low points along the way, both in business and in love life. Through the turmoil of emotional entanglement and financial instability, Roosters will struggle to achieve happiness when they get to older age.

Dog
Years: 1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, 2018
The Sign of Dog is the most likeable symbol in the Chinese Zodiac. Loyal, compatible, faithful and honest, Dogs have the most profound sense of duty. Dogs are sensitive to others and empathize with them. Dogs’ friends are most likely turn to Dogs for help in a crisis. Dogs, on the other hand, are always prepared to sacrifice their own desires and ambitions for the sake of others, especially for those they love. Dogs value the friendship as the most essential and important part of their lives. Dogs may suffer anxious and uncertainty in life, and feel defeat because lots of work are to be done.

Pig
Years: 1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019
The sign of Pig may be the most generous and honorable Sign in the Chinese Zodiac. Pigs believe in the best side of mankind and don’t consider themselves to be superior. They are intelligent, and forever study to gain greater knowledge. Pigs love to give and help others. Honesty is what Pigs give and it’s what they expect to receive in return. Pigs are modest. They generally don’t say much and prefer to work quietly behind the scenes to offer their support.

Rat
Years: 1912, 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008
Being the first animal sign in the Chinese horoscope, the Rat is considered a symbol of opportunity and good prospects in Chinese culture. The Rat in the eastern culture is revered for its quick wits and its ability to accrue and hold on to items of value. The Rat has very bright personality and most likely to have high achievement in life, especially wealth. However, the Rat needs to avoid over selfish and greedy. The Rat knows exactly where to find solutions and can take care of himself or herself and others. The Rat’s sharp and charm nature, funny demeanor make it an appealing friend for others.
The Rat usually can achieve abundant when get to middle-aged and accumulate great wealth or get to high position as growing older. However, if fate is destructed by unlucky star, the Rat could be rich but may not reach perfect happiness.

Ox
Years: 1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009
The Ox is the sign of prosperity in the Chinese Zodiac. The Ox in Chinese Astrology is not a bull. Solid and hard working, this powerful sign of Ox is a born leader. Being dependable, calm and modest, Oxen possess the ability to achieve great things in life. Strong-minded and highly intelligent, their balance and strength inspire confidence. Lady Oxen have the tendency to trust the wrong partner, so it is important to always get an outside opinion from someone they trust and who is wise before they make a commitment. Oxen usually have happy childhood without incident in their childhood and youth. Oxen may encounter difficulties in their marriage in their middle age. However, they usually are able to smooth them out and achieve peaceful and happy life in their older age.

Tiger
Years: 1914, 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010
The Tiger Sign is the symbol of strength and power. Brave, dynamic, enthusiastic, and determined, Tigers are born leaders. Tigers’ magnetic characters and natural air of authority attract followers and admirers. They gain respect for their courage, even from those working against them. Tigers have positive attitude in life to achieve goals. They love to be challenged. They may become aggressive if trapped in a difficult situation. Solitude is often the price Tigers pay for their position of authority, which they become accustomed to it.

Rabbit
Years: 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011
The Sign of Rabbit symbolizes a character of creativity, compassion, and sensitivity. Rabbits are delicate, cautious, and reserved creatures. They enjoy scholarly or intellectual activities, but shy away from competitive or aggressive situations. Rabbits tend to live a very normal and average life unless they can overcome their over conservative nature.

Dragon
Years: 1916, 1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012
The Sign of Dragon is the symbol of force and power. It is the mightiest of all the twelve signs in the Chinese Zodiac. Being chosen as an imperial symbol to represent the Emperors in Chinese culture, it symbolized power and wealth. Being born thinking they are perfect, dragons prefer to live by their own rules. They are idealists and perfectionists, often inflexible and egoistical. Dragons also possess a mystical way of luck.

Snake:
Years: 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, 2013
The Snake Sign symbolizes character traits of intelligence, gracefulness and materialism. The Sign of Snake, in Chinese culture, is not perceived as the demon who seduced Eve into sin, it is rather a creature with wise, materialistic personalities. There are also subtle, secretive, elusive, and mysterious elements surrounding the Snake's personalities. Being a deep thinker, Snakes can make their decisions quickly and firmly. Snakes have a very strong "sixth sense", for they heavily rely on their own feelings or their first impressions.

Horse
Years: 1918, 1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978, 1990, 2002, 2014
The Horse Sign is seen as the most 'free-spirited'. Sharp, charming, and cheerful, the Horse is an extremely likable character. Horses are quick-witted, independent, and determined. They are gifted in talents and love to be in the center of the stage. There are contradictions in the character of the Sign of Horse, though. Horses are proud yet sweet-natured, conceited yet humble, envious yet tolerant, and arrogant yet modest in their approaches in many aspects of life.

Sheep
Years: 1919, 1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1979, 1991, 2003, 2015
The Sheep Sign is the most feminine sign of the Chinese Zodiac. It symbolizes prosperity and comfort. Sheep are gentle, righteous, sincere, artistic, and elegant. They like to exercise moderation and be cautious in life. They are romantic and likely would choose partners who would protect them and give them the room to grow. Food, shelter, and clothing are three basic things which remain most important in a Sheep’s life. They usually possess their three basic necessities even in toughest circumstances. Sheep are shy sometimes. They have a tendency to be overcome by their emotions and become pessimistic and withdrawn.

(Visit ettp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Zodiac for more info and element details.)

This was just for fun, but hopefully you understand Jade Moon's (and all of the others - Sterling Promise, Harry, etc.) characters better :)

message 2: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments So I'm a rabbit. That's cute :) I hate confrontation, but sometime it's inevitable :)

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Mar 10, 2013 06:25PM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments I'm a Horse.
Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that! LOL!
(Oh jeez, we are narrowing our age down on here! LOL!)

message 4: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments lol . . . Let's say you are a pony :) it sounds cuter.
Dang, I shouldn't have posted here. There goes my biggest secret!

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I'm a tiger and I must say it fits pretty well, except I'm rarely alone! I'm just glad I'm not a PIG because that would explain too much! Lol

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Gis, I wuv wabbits!!! Lol

Trisha, a horse is my favorite animal!

message 7: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments lol Vic, you are such a hoot!

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Hoot hoot!! Lol

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments lol... You are an OWL!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (simplysarah13) | 315 comments My sign is a pig.
I really didn't wanna say.. "I'm a pig."
LOL.

★RavenclawReader★ (stargazer101) | 299 comments My sign is a rabbit, too :)! It actually fits pretty well, I guess.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 7950 comments I'm a Dog, and I admit I hate lying and I can't do it convincingly if I tried. Everything else seems to fit too, more so than my Zodiac sign Cancer, I don't know. :)

message 13: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Sarah wrote: "My sign is a pig.
I really didn't wanna say.. "I'm a pig."
LOL."

Oh Sarah. I am laughing so hard right now. But pig is kinda cute :D

message 14: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I am a Sagittarius :) but I also think Chinese Zodiac is more accurate :)

message 15: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments ★RavenclawReader★ wrote: "My sign is a rabbit, too :)! It actually fits pretty well, I guess."

Yay Another Bunny!!! :)

message 16: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 672 comments I am an Ox, cool(I am a born leader??). I haven't actually read a novel with Chinese zodiacs but I have read a manga :)
I am a Sagittarius too! :)

message 17: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments cool :) Harshini. Bought 2 manga last month. Finished only one. :P

message 18: by ★RavenclawReader★ (last edited Mar 11, 2013 01:47PM) (new)

★RavenclawReader★ (stargazer101) | 299 comments Yeah... I'm a Leo in Astrology, but yeah, Rabbit/Bunny (LOL) fits me better.

message 19: by Yoly (new)

Yoly | 696 comments I´m a dragon :)

message 20: by Anna (Bunny) (new)

Anna (Bunny) Engelman (bunnyboo123) | 155 comments oink oink oink I'm a PIG.
(Pretty Intelligent Girl(lol))

message 21: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 672 comments Oooh nice Anna lol!

message 22: by Megan (new)

Megan Brooker | 490 comments I'm a sheep which would be totally awesome if I actually was gentle and/or elegant et cetera, but alas I am not. I think I'm more of a snake type of person.

message 23: by Amanda (last edited Mar 27, 2013 03:07PM) (new)

Amanda | 4439 comments I'm an Ox.

message 24: by Janna (new)

Janna Marie (jannamarie) | 640 comments I'm a horse too, Trisha :)

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Reads (summerfirefly) | 371 comments I'm a Pig and that's not really accurate to me at all haha!

message 26: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments I'm a tiger. It pretty much fit me lol

Shuhan [On Leave] (Inyourclosetinyourhead) Im Chinese. All chinese people must know their zodiac. Im dragon because Im from 2000.

Shuhan [On Leave] (Inyourclosetinyourhead) My baby sisters old babysitter had a book about these...in chinese so ill explain. i was with my cousin when she told us about our personalities. not to offend anyone but this is what i can remember. my cousin was a horse and somethinf i remember is that people born in that year dont like saying sorry or losing. thats prettu like her.

me a dragon and this is a little fact: we feel really bad when we accidently hurt someones feelings. more than normal like. thats like me! i usually cant sleep peacefully worrying...

Shuhan [On Leave] (Inyourclosetinyourhead) My baby sisters old babysitter had a book about these...in chinese so ill explain. i was with my cousin when she told us about our personalities. not to offend anyone but this is what i can remember. my cousin was a horse and somethinf i remember is that people born in that year dont like saying sorry or losing. thats prettu like her.

me a dragon and this is a little fact: we feel really bad when we accidently hurt someones feelings. more than normal like. thats like me! i usually cant sleep peacefully worrying...