SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

Monthly Nominations > June 2013 Science Fiction Theme Nominations: Galactic Empires

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2013 08:55AM) (new)

The voting is over for the June Science Fiction theme and it's a runaway for Galactic Empires.

There is so much to choose from out there and so many good series. The only two I'm going to veto up front are The Galactic Empire from Stars Wars and anything from the Star Trek Universe. Both have far too many books to choose from and a runoff between the two could split all geekdom in half. Beyond, that, the multiverse is the limit.

I'm going to assume that a Galactic Empire doesn't necessarily have to span the entire galaxy ....

Remember our few rules:
1. They must be available as an ebook
2. One nomination and one seconding per person
3. No nominating your own book and
4. Mods can veto a nomination if they decide the book doesn't fit ... :)

And, as always, authors selected in the past 12 months may not be nominated. For a list, you may check here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Nominated and Seconded
The Risen Empire by Scott Westerfeld
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks
The Praxis (Dread Empire's Fall) by Walter Jon Williams
In Her Name: Redemption by Michael R. Hicks

Nominated
The Vang: The Military Form by Christopher Rowley
Balance of Trade by Sharon Lee
Dawn for a Distant Earth by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

message 2: by Charles (last edited Mar 10, 2013 10:16PM) (new)

Charles (nogdog) I'll nominate the only thing I can find on my to-read list that seems to fit: The Hydrogen Sonata by Iain M. Banks.

The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture, #10) by Iain M. Banks

message 3: by Peter (last edited Mar 10, 2013 09:44PM) (new)

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 418 comments If we want Galactic Empires that how about Azimov's Foundation Trilogy? The Foundation Trilogy

The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3) by Isaac Asimov

message 5: by Carro (last edited Mar 11, 2013 03:29AM) (new)

Carro | 47 comments Um. When I hear "Galactic Empire" it says to me that this is a big, held together by military sort of empire. But is that so?

One candidate with military galactic empire I am not nominating would be David Webber.
Another who is not eligible is due to having a book in the last 12 months would be Bujold. (Well there are multiple systems under the Barrayarans.)

So - does a galaxy spanning trade empire count? If yes, then one of the Liaden series perhaps. I'd suggest Balance of Trade.

Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe, #3) by Sharon Lee

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Trade empires count. If you like that sort of thing, have you looked at Nathan Lowell's Golden Age of the Solar Clipper series? Only the first 3 or 4 or the 6 are available on ebook but I have to say I really enjoyed them. The first in the series is Quarter Share.

message 7: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments Foundation Trilogy should not actually count as it's three books, not one.

Foundation is the book that should have been nominated.

message 8: by Joe (new)

Joe Emtigoe (joeemtigoe) | 5 comments I'm going to nominate both of the books "The Risen Empire" and "The Killing of Worlds" by Scott Westerfeld.

Apparently, this was originally one book that was split by the publisher. Either way they are a good examples of a Galactic Empire writing taking in what is happening at all levels.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 11, 2013 06:43AM) (new)

I took the first of the Westerfeld books since I didn't see a good combined book for them. I did the same thing for Foundation since I didn't see an ebook version of the entire trilogy.

And, I'm going to second the Westerfeld book since I enjoyed the other book by him I've read ...

I nominate the first of the Dread Empire's Fall series, The Praxis by Walter Jon Williams.

message 10: by Carro (last edited Mar 11, 2013 07:19AM) (new)

Carro | 47 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Trade empires count. If you like that sort of thing, have you looked at Nathan Lowell's Golden Age of the Solar Clipper series? Only the first 3 or 4 or the 6 are available on ebook but I have to say I really enjoyed them. The first in the series is Quarter Share. "

Nope. Must take a look. If someone would care to nominate then I'd second.....

I know that is backwards but... :)

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I'll second Foundation. I've been wanting to re-read it.

message 12: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments Charles wrote: "I'll nominate the only thing I can find on my to-read list that seems to fit:
The Hydrogen Sonata
by Iain M. Banks.

The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture, #10) by Iain M. Banks"

I would second this.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second The Praxis.

message 14: by JSWolf (last edited Mar 11, 2013 03:24PM) (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments I would like to nominate Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

JSWolf wrote: "I would like to nominate Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton"

That's a great choice - I like Hamilton. But he's the reason we started the no repeats for 12 months thing ... he was selected in Sept and Oct 2012... :-(

message 16: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments Geoffrey wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "I would like to nominate Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton"

That's a great choice - I like Hamilton. But he's the reason we started the n..."

Can't we make it just six months instead?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

JSWolf wrote: "Can't we make it just six months instead? "

I might have nominated this book myself -- but I do think a 12 month break between authors is a good idea. It helps keep the nominations fresh and interesting; otherwise a few popular authors would battle it out in cycles of eternal recurrence.

message 18: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 42 comments Greg wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "Can't we make it just six months instead? "

I might have nominated this book myself -- but I do think a 12 month break between authors is a good idea. It helps keep the nominations..."

You are so right. I see this happening in other groups and it can get annoying.

message 19: by Clay (last edited Mar 12, 2013 02:51PM) (new)

Clay | 126 comments Okay...this one just might barely squeeze in as Galactic...The Forever Hero by L. E. Modesitt Jr. This is actually an omnibus of the three novels in the trilogy: (the first book is Dawn for a Distant Earth)
The Forever Hero (Forever Hero, #1-3) by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

message 20: by Clay (new)

Clay | 126 comments I need clarification. I was going to nominate one of Weber's series (instead of the Modesitt book I DID nominate)...but I got the impression from an earlier post that his is not qualified. I did not see him listed in past winners...is there a reason he is not qualified?

message 21: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) Clay wrote: "I need clarification. I was going to nominate one of Weber's series (instead of the Modesitt book I DID nominate)...but I got the impression from an earlier post that his is not qualified. I did ..."

Only such issue I see was with Peter Hamilton, so feel free to edit your previous post to a Weber novel if you'd prefer -- as long as you get it done before Geoffrey makes your original nomination quasi official by adding it to the first post and/or someone seconds it. :-)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Clay wrote: "I need clarification. I was going to nominate one of Weber's series (instead of the Modesitt book I DID nominate)...but I got the impression from an earlier post that his is not qualified. ..."

The group did read On Basilisk Station from 12/01/2011 to 01/01/2012, so the author is eligible again. Just not that specific book.

message 23: by Clay (new)

Clay | 126 comments Actually, I was thinking of his Starfire or Dahak series :) but I will let my nomination stand.

message 24: by Bigal-sa (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments How about In Her Name: Omnibus by Michael Hicks?

Or if that's not empire enough, what about The Mote in God's Eye by Niven & Pournelle?

message 25: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 89 comments An omnibus is not a single book. If you are going to nominate an omnibus, please tell us which book from the omnibus you want.

message 26: by Bigal-sa (last edited Mar 14, 2013 05:01AM) (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments JSWolf wrote: "An omnibus is not a single book. If you are going to nominate an omnibus, please tell us which book from the omnibus you want."

? It has one cover, so must be one book (or in the case of this group, it's a single file).

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I think if an omnibus exists, it can be nominated either in its entirety or just a single book in the collection.

In some cases, for example Wool Omnibus, it makes sense to read the the entire thing as the entire omnibus is the length of a single novel. However, The Deed of Paksenarrion is three large novels and would be a bad choice.

In the case of Foundation, I didn't see an ebook version of the trilogy as a single unit, so I went with the first book.

I don't know offhand how large the limit is, but looking at In Her Name: Redemption it's 692 pages which is large but not impossible. Is that the trilogy being nominated?

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 14, 2013 06:32AM) (new)

Regarding The Forever Hero, that's 700+ pages per goodreads ... do you want to nominate the trilogy or book one? .... I'm thinking that's getting a little large but I'm open.

message 29: by Bigal-sa (last edited Mar 14, 2013 06:54AM) (new)

Bigal-sa | 28 comments Geoffrey wrote: "I don't know offhand how large the limit is, but looking at In Her Name: Redemption it's 692 pages which is large but not impossible. Is that the trilogy being nominated? "

That is the one. The Mote must be pretty close to that number of pages.

message 30: by Clay (new)

Clay | 126 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Regarding The Forever Hero, that's 700+ pages per goodreads ... do you want to nominate the trilogy or book one? .... I'm thinking that's getting a little large but I'm open."

OH..I am Nominating the first book, of course Dawn for a Distant Earth! LOL. Sorry. I just don't know if the books are available as e-books separately.

And I will second In Her Name: Redemption

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a good list. Off to make the poll now ...