The Genesis Machine The Genesis Machine discussion

Lack of Optimism

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Pierce I think that the reason James P. Hogan's novels are rated lower now than in times past is simple. Optimism is frowned upon in today's society. Pessimism is king, therefore relieving anyone of responsibility of their own failures. Mr. Hogan's works held a hopeful wonderment of the future, sort of an "I can make a difference." appeal to them. A large majority of today's science fiction writers were indoctrinated by an educational system that holds humankind to blame for everything from a hangnail to the cause of the red shift. I cannot wait for the day when vampires and werewolves drain their last drop of ink.

message 2: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Parks Excellent point. One of the things I've always loved about science fiction is the competent, effective hero. The Genesis Machine is one of the pinnacles of that style. Not only is Bradley Clifford a (modest) Einstein, he's a pacifist who manages to confront the amassed might of the military-industrial complex, an entire world culture of conflict and war, and triumph, bringing sanity to our entire species. Geez, when I think about it, this is about the most optimistic book in my entire library. It's also one of my favorites, and I am proud to rate it five stars. I loved it when it first came out; I last re-read it about a year ago and still loved it!