What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Firebrand (Great Chicago Fire Trilogy #3)
This topic is about The Firebrand
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Romance novel takes place in 1900s, woman catches baby thrown out window & adopts her. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (last edited Mar 10, 2013 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

K. (aoutranc3) | 76 comments I read this a few years ago, anywhere from 2000-2007. I don't believe it was a very new release when I did read it. It was a pretty "clean" romance, in that it did not have any explicit sex scenes (in fact, I don't remember much more than passionate kisses and embraces).

The story is of a single woman in (I believe) the United States during the early 1900s. She was a suffragette and worked for the cause while also owning her own shop (books? tea? seamstressing? something of that nature). There was a large fire in the city and she managed to accidentally catch a baby thrown out the window. Her attempts to find the parents came up with nothing so she adopted the little girl.

There are alternate scenes with the parents getting ready for some sort of party prior to the fire. The mother gives off a vain, selfish sort of air and the father is clearly in love with his little girl, he just adores her and doesn't really want to leave for the party.

The book then opens up several years later with the woman and the little girl, who is sunny and precocious. They somehow manage to bump into the father and there's a big hullabaloo about finding his daughter and wanting her back.

He eventually realizes that taking his daughter from the only mother she's known would cause her more pain than not, so they arrange for her to live with him and have lots of visits from the woman. There are some issues with how involved the woman is with suffrage (he's a very wealthy man and you know how they hate women asserting themselves), but he gets over himself as they start to fall in love.

The biological mother is in the picture somehow, I can't remember if they're estranged or divorced. She causes some problems with the burgeoning relationship as well as causing some grief to the little girl due to her curt nature.

Thanks for any help! :)

message 2: by Kit★ (new) - added it

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 138 comments I think it's The Firebrand

message 3: by K. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K. (aoutranc3) | 76 comments I think this is it! Thanks so much for the quick response! :)

message 4: by Kit★ (new) - added it

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 138 comments You're welcome :)