The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

Randomness > Star Trek

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sinda (new)

Sinda Quietus (superwholockedtrekacrossthestars) | 553 comments Mod
I've noticed a lot of Doctor Who and Star Trek things. Such as the comics Assimilation 2. Anyone who feels like talking about Star Trek should do so here.

message 2: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) | 202 comments I'm excited about watching the new Star Trek movie..

message 3: by Tiffany (last edited Mar 11, 2013 05:52AM) (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to this movie.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/28f9e89345...

From a recent Radiotimes article:
RadioTimes.com was among those treated to a screening of unseen footage from the upcoming Star Trek sequel at the London IMAX in Waterloo today – the first 28 delicious minutes of sci-fi blockbusting goodness, plus two further scenes from later on in the movie.

It's good news, people.

True, I can't make any judgement on bigger picture stuff, like how the wider plot hangs together or about the emotional heart of the movie, but on the sci-fi-action-drama axis, it delivers. Like a postman on steroids. Or something...

The action sequences we saw are spectacular and gripping, there's plenty of humour and some great performances (with honourable mention going to Zachary Quinto as Spock – and not to Simon Pegg's grating parody of chief engineer Scotty).

But the one thing that really stood out based on what we saw today was Benedict Cumberbatch as villain John Harrison (yes, as far as we know that's still his name).

We didn't see huge amounts of him but when Cumberbatch is on screen the movie hits another level. He is, instantly, utterly mesmerising (even before he appears that voice alone does the job). He brings an intensity to every scene, even the briefest appearances, and carries it through into the more physical set-pieces, particularly a chase and fight with Quinto.

There may be a tiny bit of national (and fan boy) pride mixed in with my assessment but it's obvious that when JJ Abrams and Chris Pine told us Cumberbatch's performance was "terrifying" and "formidable" it wasn't a cynical attempt to appeal to a UK audience (or politeness) – they meant it. And they were right.

message 4: by Sinda (new)

There's still 2 months until the movie comes out.... I'm only gonna be able to wait that long by watching more Star Trek. And Doctor Who, of course.

message 5: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I am looking forward to this if it has some of the same actors. I loved Zachary Quinto which was surprising because I was hating him so much on Hereos. And Anton Yelchin (not sure of the right spelling) was in Fright Night and so funny as this innocent kid and is supposed to play Odd Thomas when that movie gets released.

This is not "Star Trek" However could someone tell me when the next Doctor Who Episode is scheduled. I am also afraid of missing the Spies of Warsaw or whatever it is that will have David Tennant in it.

message 6: by Sinda (new)

I'm pretty sure Doctor Who starts again on March 30th. 18 days!

message 7: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) Tiffany wrote: "Yes, I'm definitely looking forward to this movie.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/28f9e89345...

From a recent Radiotimes article:
RadioTimes.co..."

I'm excited! Naturally I hope it'll be more than just an action movie, and more cerebral like the good Star Trek movies were (Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, and First Contact are what I'm talking about), but it's not like I'm going to turn up my nose and be pretentious just because it'll be an action movie. It's just that I expect certain things from a Trek movie.

So excited for Benedict!

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
"This is not "Star Trek"
Just to clarify are you saying "This is a Doctor Who Board not a Star Trek board!" or "This movie (from the current franchise) is NOT TRUE Star Trek" ?

However could someone tell me when the next Doctor Who Episode is scheduled. As someone else said... (Sinda) 30 March is when Doctor Who season 7 is to resume.

I am also afraid of missing the Spies of Warsaw or whatever it is that will have David Tennant in it. " Spies of Warsaw yes is the correct title of the David Tennant mini-series (or at least one of the many he seems to be in now-days) I belive it has already aired in its native UK not sure of when it is supposed to air here in the US or elsewhere if it will. Probably need to look for the DVD or online streaming of it somewhere.

message 9: by Sinda (new)

I created this thread because I noticed that some people were talking about the new movie so if people in this group wanted to do that, they could. Also, I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a Star Trek thread in a Doctor Who group because there's so many crossovers and references between the two. For example, the comics Assimilation 2 involve the Cybermen and the Borg teaming up. And the fact that they're both from the 60's, and are both considered classics.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments Into Darkness writer Lindelof said they settled on the villain for the movie and decided very early on to say little about him — apart from the fact that Cumberbatch’s antagonist is named John Harrison.

“The audience needs to have the same experience that the crew is having,” Lindelof explained. “You’re Kirk, you’re Spock, you’re McCoy, so if they don’t know who the bad guy is going to be in the movie, then you shouldn’t know. It’s not just keeping the secret for secrecy’s sake. It’s not giving the audience information that the characters don’t have.”

message 11: by Sinda (new)

It would still be cool if he was Khan though.

message 12: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments If he is Khan, that means he doesn't die at the end of the movie:-))

message 13: by Sinda (new)

If he doesn't die, I'm happy.

message 14: by Tiffany (last edited Mar 21, 2013 05:47AM) (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments There's a new international Star Trek: Into Darkness trailer!! You can find it on Apple iTunes movie trailers or just google it.

John Harrison:
"I will walk over your cold corpses."

"Have I got your attention now?"

Yes, you do.
OMG

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments “He’s a home grown terrorist. He’s someone who does despicable things but for a noble cause and hopefully the film entices your sympathies. He’s a phenomenal one man weapon of mass destruction, both at close hand combat and with weaponry and also psychological warfare. He can get you to do his bidding.” - Benedict Cumberbatch on John Harrison (x)

message 16: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) Tiffany wrote: "“He’s a home grown terrorist. He’s someone who does despicable things but for a noble cause and hopefully the film entices your sympathies. He’s a phenomenal one man weapon of mass destruction, bot..."

Gosh, that's just hilarious! I really can't wait for the movie, it'll be epic!

message 17: by Sinda (new)

I'm a total Trekkie, and today in Math class, my teacher started talking about who was better: Kirk or Picard. Then he started playing Star Trek videos on his computer. I'm pretty sure he didn't know that anyone in the class liked Star Trek. I did, and I basically got to sit in math class, and do Star Trek stuff. That teacher is now my favourite.

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments So Sinda, Kirk or Picard?

message 19: by Sinda (new)

Aw man, that's tough. :D I'm really not sure. I love both of them. You?

message 20: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments I love Picard for his intelligence and his "Britishness", even though he's supposed to be from France.
Kirk was fun but always a little too reactionary for my tastes. And much too emotional (my inner Spock thinks).

Kirk vs. Picard

To Quote Mr. Yankovic:
"Only question I ever thought was hard
Was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?"

Love the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9...

message 22: by Sinda (new)

Same here.

message 23: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments I just watched the first ever episode of Star Trek yesterday. I... I... that panet was freaking Gallifrey. Two suns, orange sky, red grass...

Other than that, it was amazing. I will become a Trekie. I will!

message 24: by Sinda (new)

Hooray! :D

message 25: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments Which episode did you watch?

message 26: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments Episode two of the 1966 series? Actually? I foret what it's called.

message 27: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) I actually watched the first episode of the 1966 series a while ago, but I forget pretty much all of it. :P I watched quite a few episodes of the 1980's series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, then I stopped for some reason.

And on the movie, I can't wait!!!!

message 28: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments First Season, Episode 2 is "Charlie X", one of my all time favorites. As a child, I found it very frightening, especially the scene where he does something to a woman's face so she no longer has any features, just a mask ok skin. It still creeps me out.

message 29: by Sinda (new)

I haven't watched The Original Series in a while now.... I've been watching a lot of The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.

message 30: by Nola (new)

Nola Fisher (GIrlwithDreams) | 4 comments I'm watching Grey's Ananomy

message 31: by Sinda (new)

Ummm.... This is the Star Trek thread. Are there any Star Trek references in that?

message 32: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments I've seen up to episode 5. If all goes according to plan, I'll be watching one episode a day for eighty days. Wish me luck!

message 33: by Sinda (new)

Good luck! I hope you enjoy Star Trek!

message 34: by Sinda (new)

I saw some girl in my school with a Star Trek shirt on. RANDOM TREKKIE IN MY SCHOOL I WILL FIND YOU. I didn't know anyone else in my school besides teachers liked Star Trek....

message 35: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments The latest SFX magazine has a big article about Star Trek: Into Darkness. Actually 11 pages of stuff. Can't wait for the movie, and in 3-D!

message 36: by Sinda (new)

43 days! I think....

message 37: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments May 17th is the release date for N. America, as far as I know. 6 weeks and counting.

message 38: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 116 comments JJ Abrams on why he picked Benedict Cumberbatch as a villain in Star Trek Into Darkness

People have asked my why I choose Benedict for this and I would answer that by saying, ‘why not Benedict for everything?’ He is so crazy good. I loved working with him. He brings exactly the respect and intelligence and depth and also humour to every scene as I was hoping he would. When I saw his work in Sherlock, like so many others I was impressed by his seemingly effortless dexterity and his ability. It was almost like watching an Olympic gymnast go from incredible position to incredible position. He really is an exceptional talent and in addition to being the great actor he is, he was an absolute joy to spend some time with. He is someone who just elevated everything and while you don’t want the classic, clichéd British villain, which we’ve all seen a million times, my guess is that we’ve seen just as many American villains. I think Benedict is one of the best actors alive. So the real question is ‘why did he accept the movie?’ I think he is so good and seeing him in Sherlock just blew my mind and I had that feeling that he would be great for almost anything. And he exceeded all my expectations.

message 39: by Sinda (new)

I CANNOT BELIEVE I NEVER SAID THIS YESTERDAY!!!!
Yesterday was 50 years until First Contact day! In 49 years and 364 days Zefram Cochrane will invent and test the first warp drive. The Vulcans will detect the energy signature and land on Earth, initiating the humans first contact with Extraterrestrials. 2063: FIRST CONTACT DAY!

message 40: by Axela (new)

Axela | 415 comments WOO! Here' shoping I'm alive to see that!

message 41: by Sinda (new)

Same here!

message 42: by Sinda (new)

I just cannot get over the episode in The Next Generation (Rascals) when Picard gets turned into kid with a lot of hair and an awesome British accent.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha I know! I love Picard!!! Speaking of which, have you heard the Captain Picard song?

message 44: by Sinda (new)

Noooooo.... Should I go look it up?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

YESSSSS! It's so funny, check YouTube ;)

message 46: by Sinda (new)

I like my profile picture. It's the TARDIS with Borg Cubes and other federation ships.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I think that's really cool!

message 48: by Sinda (new)

Thanks! It's from the comic Assimilation2. That's a great story. Anyone else read it?

Sinda wrote: "I just cannot get over the episode in The Next Generation (Rascals) when Picard gets turned into kid with a lot of hair and an awesome British accent."

I like how Picard covers up his almost deadly mistake when he calls Riker "Number One"... "erm that is MY NUMBER ONE DAD!"

message 50: by Sinda (new)

Pretty much one of my favourite lines of all time.

« previous 1