Eco-fiction discussion

What exactly is eco-fiction?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Florence (new)

Florence Witkop | 1 comments I've just joined and I hope I'm in the right group. Hope, hope hope!
I've been kind of frustrated trying to market my books because, as one reviewer said, they cross so many genres. And one of those genres is 'nature' because I live in the north woods and can't help that it creeps into my stories. So.... are contemporary, paranormal, and sci-fi romances that celebrate the natural world eco-fiction?
My latest, just out, was inspired by the worst blow-down in American history, the July 4, 1999 blow-down that devastated much of northern Minnesota. Of course, that was the starting point, but the story was bounded by the results of that event. Is that what eco-fiction is? I hope so, I truly do, because there doesn't seem to be a niche where my fiction fits.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 68 comments I guess if the reader comes away with a greater respect for "nature" that would truly be eco oriented.

Some people think it should provide concrete examples of how to behave (example: how to recycle) or situations in the book should be true so people will not be disappointed when they find out what they were reading about was not actually true.

But who is to know what is true. Whether people believe it or not the simple act of rain fall is no longer cut and dried lifeless evaporation to cloud formation to drop formation coming back down to evaporate all over again. Microbes have been found in all parts of the rainfall cycle including 20 miles up in the sky. You can assume they are merely there for the ride or you can assume they are part of the ride.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 16 comments Mod
Florence, I'm not sure there IS any definition of eco-fiction yet...but I think there are enough novels that deal with environmental issues that at some point "eco-fiction" will become a well-recongnized term. I recently heard the term "cli-fi" to describe climate change related science fiction, so apparently there's enough of those sorts of books to be designated a new genre. Our time is coming! ;o)

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Loafman | 3 comments I think fiction where ecology/environmental issues are included in the plot would fit here.