The Malazan Fallen discussion

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
This topic is about Deadhouse Gates
Group Read - Deadhouse Gates > DG - Chapter Seventeen - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Spoilers up to chapter Seventeen are ok.
Please mark any other spoilers using the spoiler tags. (when in doubt, use them).

One who was many
On the blood trail
Came hunting his own voice
Savage murder
Sprites buzzing in the sun
Came hunting his own voice
But Hood's music is all
He heard, the siren song
Called silence.
Seglora's Account
Seglora

message 2: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well what an interesting Captain aboard the Ragstopper. It seems that he is more than just a drunken sot. He appears to babble whilst talking, but Kalam starts to suspect that there is a glamour being thrown over what he is saying, like two languages. He then goes on to turn the ship about in a storm and land it on one of the pirate ships with utmost perfection, pretty tricky given the weather. Then, he manages to stop a hulking bodyguard killing him with a tulwar with his bare hands.
In his recovery, he seems to be having head issues, are these the effects of using a strange warren we know nothing about? Plus add the fact that it seems that they have been sailing for longer than the four days Kalam thought they had been. It all adds up to strange doings at sea.

I liked this little Oponn reference;

'We lost the last two marines last night. Left me wondering about that ship's healer of yours.'
'Been having a run of the Lord's push, he has. Not like him.'

message 3: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (last edited Mar 11, 2013 03:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
A lot of action at sea this chapter.
There's a couple of privateers tailing the Ragstopper and
it turns out that Pormqual's treasurer has arranged for his pirate relatives to take out the treasury. I'm now wondering if Pormqual was in on this plan? A fitting end for him when they weigh him down with gold and throw him over board.

@Lee - I'm interpreting the Captain's behaviour and Kalam's suspicions as being that he thinks the Captain is being mind controlled by a magic relating to some obscure warren (view spoiler) but is doing his damnedest to resist the magic and give warning resulting in his double talk.

Towards the end of the chapter after the fighting The Captain still seems under a spell as we see with this conversation between him and Kalam

‘All’s not well, I take it,’ the assassin quietly rumbled.
‘Captain’s head’s askew, that’s a fact. Tongue full of thorns, close by ears like acorns under the mulch, ready to hatch unseen. Hatch.’
‘You’d tell me if you could.’

So who is the "close by ears?"

And it appears that the ship has been at sea fourteen days while Kalam is only aware of 4 days passing. So it looks like everyone is under some sort of spell. Why? How?

So should we be trusting Salk Elan? He seems very good at killing. He and Kalam worked together to take out the ensorcelled Enkarel as well as foil The treasurer's bodyguards who seem intent on killing everyone on the ship to eliminate witnesses.

And the poor marines stuck in the middle. They know what the treasurer's up to, yet taking him out would be treason. Good thing Kalam's got the solution

‘Why don’t we take down the treasurer and his bodyguard right now, Kalam?’
The assassin’s eyes narrowed. ‘Stick to the rules, Lieutenant. Leave murder to those whose souls are already stained.’

An interesting insight to how Kalam sees himself. We also see the measure of respect the Bridgeburners carry with the marines. Once they find out who Kalam is they have no qualms taking orders from him - even though he's technically only a corporal - and outlawed.

And Felisin seems to have been transformed by embracing her role as Sha'ik. Even being capable of seeing the old ghosts of the ground they are crossing. She seems very self possessed and her previous bitterness towards Heboric is nowhere in sight.

message 4: by Chaz (last edited Mar 11, 2013 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chaz | 297 comments Lee wrote: "I liked this little Oponn reference;

'We lost the last two marines last night. Left me wondering about that ship's healer of yours.'
'Been having a run of the Lord's push, he has. Not like him.' "

Considering how ubiquitous the Lord and Lady were in the GotM mentions of the luck god have been very rare in this book.

message 5: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
I'm eager to find out just who Salk Elan really is. I love that in the Dramatis Personae he's listed as 'a traveler on the seas'.

I'm also curious if he's the one supplying the unusual trade winds, or if it's whoever might be messing with the captain. Unless of course that is also Salk.

Great Chapter.

message 6: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anyone else notice the Silanda slipping past

‘Lookout sighted a ship in our wake just before sunset yesterday – a Malazan fast trader, he thinks. If it was, it must have passed us without lights or hail in the night. No sign of it this morning.’
The captain grunted. ‘Never made better time. Bet their eyes are wide, too, dropping headless cocks over the starboard side and into Bern’s smiling maw at every blessed bell.’

Lori Oh my! I was wondering who that was!

message 8: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nice pick up David. I missed that one completely, I starred at that paragraph for a while, think "what the hell does that mean".

message 9: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

How 'getting my shit together now' does Felisin sound with the role of Sh'aik under her belt?

message 10: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think Erikson is playing with double meanings there. The Captain was suggesting the crew of the other ship must be just as surprised as they (wide eyed) and sacrificing chickens (headless cocks) to Bern (a god or another name for the sea?) to be making such supernatural good time.
But I'm guessing its a wink to the reader re headless Tiste with wide eyed disembodied Tiste heads.

message 11: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee wrote: "How 'getting my shit together now' does Felisin sound with the role of Sh'aik under her belt?"

Heboric thinks she's getting to big for boots.

message 12: by Chaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chaz | 297 comments But I thought Silanda was headed to Aren from the Northeast, not away from Aren to the South. It shouldn't be anywhere near them.

message 13: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Isn't the Silanda currently heading to Aren? I don't think it has got there yet has it?

message 14: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hmmm, that's a good point. Maybe I'm reading too much in to that passage.

message 15: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nah - those references are too obviously the Silanda. Something must have happened we don't know yet.

message 16: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Sven wrote: "Nah - those references are too obviously the Silanda. Something must have happened we don't know yet."

But..you read this already...

message 17: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (last edited Mar 12, 2013 03:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

But I can't remember Rob! I went into a killing rage and lost my memories since then. Lol

message 18: by Rob, Quick Ben (last edited Mar 12, 2013 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Sven wrote: "But I can't remember Rob! I went into a killing rage and lost my memories since then. Lol"

Sorry. You've already been deemed Kruppe.

message 19: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (last edited Mar 12, 2013 04:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh yeah...Kruppe! I forgot.

message 20: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

But..you read this already...

LoL @ Rob.

With a story this size and with this many details, you'll find even us re-readers guessing at things.

message 21: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Rob - that's one of the pleasures about re-reading, the comprehension is so much greater (altho you are being gifted with much I missed because of those of us who are able catch the details) and yet, as Lee says, the series is so vast I know for me personally there's so much I can't foresee because I've forgotten.

message 22: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was just giving David a hard time. ^_^

Duffy Pratt | 354 comments I'm curious what people think about the Treasurer's punishment by Kalam and Salk? Loaded down with coins and tossed overboard where he sank so fast that even the sharks didn't get at him.

message 24: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can apreciate the irony, even if it is a little cliche - and expensive

message 25: by Juniper (last edited Mar 13, 2013 05:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments I'm wondering at this passage when Kalam's talking to the Lieutenant and his identity is revealed:

Kalam sighed. "I'm an Imperial veteran, Lieutenant -"
"Which army?"
He hesitated, then said, "Second. Ninth squad, Bridgeburners."
As one, the marines sat back. All eyes were on him now.
The lieutenant scowled. "Now how likely is that?"
Another marine, a grizzled veteran, barked out, "Your sergeant? Let's hear some names, stranger."
"Whiskeyjack. Other sergeants? Not many left. Antsy. Tormin."
"You're Corporal Kalam, ain't you?"
The assassin studied the man. "Who are you?"
"Nobody, sir, and been that way a long time." He turned to his lieutenant and nodded.
"Can we count on you?" she asked Kalam.

I'm getting the feeling this man has been someone of importance. He's very straightforward, and seems to know who Kalam is as well as is familiar with the Bridgeburners - but when Kalam grows curious and asks who he is he steps back, even adds a sir, as if to further signify that he is no one of importance before nodding to the lieutenant who seems to accept his nod as a confirmation of his identity. The lieutenant takes the veteran's approval of Kalam as an OK - not the other way around.

Not sure if this is worth holding onto though. Didn't all the marines die?

message 26: by Chaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chaz | 297 comments Yes they did :(

Also, the Bridgeburners are famous as a unit. There were several hundred, if not a little more than a thousand before Pale but someone with acquaintances in the 2nd army may well have knowledge of individual names and sergeants.

But you're right, he completely evades the question about his own identity.

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Gahhh! Damn.

Yeah, they seem to be the rock- or movie stars of military. I suppose that makes sense. I would have so liked if this man came and turned the game - I love the characters that turn out to be more than they tell.

Feels good to finally have caught up! Such a bummer to miss out on the puzzling.

message 28: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat wrote: "Didn't all the marines die? "

Yes. I think the dialogue with the veteran highlights that there are people who would be considered part of the "Old Guard" who are hiding in plain sight. It also serves as a device to put the marines and Kalam on the same side.

Juniper (juniperx) | 237 comments Good point, David!

Hanne (hanne2) | 228 comments David Sven wrote: "Anyone else notice the Silanda slipping past

‘Lookout sighted a ship in our wake just before sunset yesterday – a Malazan fast trader, he thinks. If it was, it must have passed us without lights o..."

I did!
But then the posts above made me doubt. I have given up trying to decipher the map though - the cities i want to find seem to never be on there, but there are plenty of others i have no interest in finding! :)

message 31: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hanne wrote: "I did!
But then the posts above made me doubt."

Yeah, me too.

Hanne (hanne2) | 228 comments i'm just going to continue believing i spotted some nice subtle reference by erikson, i like it better that way. :)

Johny (drbo) | 184 comments (view spoiler)