Smashwords Authors discussion

Meatgrinder and Autovetter > Epub validation -- did it work or not?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Shultz | 21 comments Hi. I uploaded a short story that had been formatted according to the style guide. I received two error messages (no ISBN,didn't pass epub check). When I downloaded the epub and ran it through the validator, it passed.

The story's current status is "pending review" but the error about failing epub check still shows.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any recommendations about what I should do now?

Thanks,

Jill

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Franks | 15 comments It happened to me, I ended up having to print off the entire book of instructions for Smashwords (102 pages!!) but the thing it is most likely to fail on is paragraph justification.
If you're doing the double space on the first line of each new paragraph yourself, it won't accept it. If you follow the instructions smashwords provide to have Word auto-set the spaces (the instructions are wonderfully easy to follow) then it will accept it. I battled for nearly a month before discovering this! Hope this helps

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Shultz | 21 comments Hi, Robert. Are you saying that when you downloaded your epub and tried it on the validator it passed the epub check, but still had a problem with paragraph spacing that you had to correct?

Jill

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 17 comments Jill, if it's a short story you might want to consider the 'nuclear' option they call it? You prepare a word document just like the smashwords guide says (exactly as it says!), and then you copy/paste your story with the 'text only' option. The only problem with this is that if you have italics or bold you will have to go over the text and do them again. I did it with a novel and it worked.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 17 comments I did the same thing as Sara. I applied the Nuclear method to my manuscript and it worked wonderfully. I did have a lot of italics in my novel and it was tedious putting them all back in, but well worth the effort because I had no problems with passing the epub check. I found the Smashwords guide to be very helpful and concise.

message 6: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments There is an easy way of getting your italics back in:

1. Open the find and replace window in Word.

2. In the 'find what' box, press Ctrl+I until it says 'Font: Italic'.

3. In the replace box type something like 'II^&II' - it's the '^&' that's the important part, as it tells Word to preserve whatever word is in italics, and put 'II' on either side.

5. Click 'Replace All'.

4. After you've performed the nuclear option and have it back in Word, open the find and replace window again.

5. In the 'find what' box, press Ctrl+I again if it still says italics, until there's nothing under the box. Then type '(II)(*)(II)'.

6. Press 'More' and then check the 'Use Wildcards' box.

7. In the replace box, type '\2'. Click 'Replace All'.

When you click replace all, your italics will be restored.

The only thing with this is that you tend to get italics placed at seemingly random intervals, where you've either deleted a word that was in italics, or decided it shouldn't be in italics, but the blank space is still italic. But that shouldn't really be a problem.

Just make sure to test the method with something unimportant first, to make sure you're doing it right!

message 7: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Obviously, don't type the apostrophes :)

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 17 comments Thanks Ross, will try that next time because it did take a long time replacing them one by one.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Shultz | 21 comments Hi everyone,

Thanks. The error message I received must have been a mistake, because they reviewed my file and accepted it. The error message still shows.

Jill

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 17 comments Ross wrote: "There is an easy way of getting your italics back in:

1. Open the find and replace window in Word.

2. In the 'find what' box, press Ctrl+I until it says 'Font: Italic'.

3. In the replace box typ..."

Thanks so much for this, Ross. This will hopefully make it easier for me next time, too.

message 11: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Writing that made me think it might be a good idea to write a walkthrough of the way I do it. I might do that tomorrow. Would it help people here, or does everyone already have a pretty firm grasp of it all?

message 12: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Took me 5 tries to get mine to work.

message 13: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 17 comments Ross wrote: "Writing that made me think it might be a good idea to write a walkthrough of the way I do it. I might do that tomorrow. Would it help people here, or does everyone already have a pretty firm grasp ..."

Walkthrough would be nice, thanks!

message 14: by Sherri (last edited Mar 13, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) | 23 comments That formatting can be something. I had to run the nuclear method twice on Move and Feathered Frenzy to pass epub check.
Move by Sherri Fulmer Moorer Feathered Frenzy! A Quick Guide to Adapting Birds into Your Life by Sherri Fulmer Moorer

message 15: by Jay (new)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) | 12 comments Thanks for that tip, Ross, it will be very handy as I go nuclear with anything I put on SW.

One mistake I made with the anthology I've just put up was thinking one short could be different. The first one was done as an email and formatted differently to the other stories. They all looked fine on my Kindle with the formatting to mobi I'd done myself for Amazon. On SW the email one looked fine, but the italic text in the following stories went screwy. I had to apply Normal to all of it before it was accepted for Premium.

BTW - did anyone else have as good a giggle as I did when reading the Style Guide? I really like Mark's sense of humour.

message 16: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I use a two step process. I use Word 10 so I have to save the file as a Word 7 doc. First, I make sure that I have checked the box under file>paragraph that says, "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style." I make sure I have single spaced. I make sure that I have used Title and Heading One for my book title and my chapter titles. When I upload the book, I uncheck epub when Smashwords asks which formats I would like to use. I make my own epubs, using Calibre. That means I have to save my book as an rtf file.
When I make the epub I click on "Look and Feel" and make sure to check "Remove spacing between paragraphs," and I check to see that indent size is 1.5em. Then I go to "EPUB output" and check the box that says "Preserve cover aspect ratio." Once I've converted the book, I upload the epub. Since I started following this procedure, I've had no problems.

message 17: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I've finally finished writing the formatting guide for Smashwords:

http://ross-harrison.com/2013/03/18/s...