Memoirs and Biographies We Love discussion

Have any good substance abuse biographies/memoirs?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elma (new)

Elma (jercypackson) | 1 comments I've been really into books about drugs & the people addicted to them ever since I read Go Ask Alice. I've read other books like it such as Jay's Journals, Lucy in the Sky, and Zoo Station. But those are the only substance abuse books I could find (memoir/biography-wise, anyways). & I was wondering if anyone knows some good memoirs or biographies like the books listed above that I should read?
Thank you loads!

message 3: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde i think there is one called A Million Little Pieces, but a i also think it was found out that the guy lied in it. i am not sure.

message 4: by Janice (new)

Janice Elma wrote: "I've been really into books about drugs & the people addicted to them ever since I read Go Ask Alice. I've read other books like it such as Jay's Journals, Lucy in the Sky, and Zoo Station. But tho..."

I highly recommend Permanent Midnight by Jerry Stahl. The movie is also excellent. Wonderland Avenue: Tales of Glamour and Excess and And I Don't Want to Live This Life: A Mother's Story of Her Daughter's Murder are my other two favorite biographies about addiction.

message 5: by Margo (new)

Margo | 3 comments Holy cow do I have some for you! I've read many of these. The best one I've ever read is called Broken by William Cope Moyers (son of journalist Bill Moyers). Also good are Lit by Mary Karr, Wasted by Marya Hornbacher, Dry by Augusten Burroughs, Drinking by Caroline Knapp, & The Interventionist by Joani Gammill.

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela Suits | 1 comments Harley Loco by Rayya Elias

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book My favorite on this topic is Come Back A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back by Claire Fontaine

message 8: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1 comments Scar tissue - Anthony kiedis. Absolutely brilliant, truly delves into drug addiction. It is an autobiography of the lead singer of red hot chilli peppers. Enjoy!

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (takeahike) | 3 comments A friend of mine just gave me a review copy of a new memoir coming out in mid-July about the real story of the family from the movie Yours, Mine and Ours with Lucille Ball...it is called True North: The Shocking Truth about Yours, Mine and Ours.

Strange as it sounds, it is somewhat helpful to find out that I was not/am not alone in the kind of childhood I had....so I don't feel quite so odd. Perhaps this would be helpful to others in this group, too....
True North - The Shocking Truth about "Yours, Mine and Ours"

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments Back from the Abyss: The Autobiography of a Low-Bottom Alky is a great read and a page turner Back from the Abyss: The Autobiography of a Low-Bottom Alky

message 11: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (sissyk) | 1 comments I'm Dancing as Fast as I can, by Barbara Gordon
A memoir...a book about her addiction to Valium and what happened when she tried to go off them. I read it a many years ago.

message 12: by Sheana (new)

Sheana | 9 comments Caroline Knapp's Drinking: A Love Story is excellent.

message 13: by Mark (last edited Feb 05, 2014 04:26PM) (new)

Mark Mortensen Here's another addiction book: "Memoirs Aren't Fairytales".

It received great reviews, however after the initial post I now see it is not a true memoir, but fiction.

Memoirs Aren't Fairytales (Young Adult Edition, #1) by Marni Mann by Marni Mann Marni Mann

message 14: by Nate (new)

Nate Cannon (runningrewired) Interesting thread. My own memoir, "Running on a Mind Rewired," actually falls in this category. It's been used as a textbook for chemical dependency education courses and as a teaching tool for hospitals and treatment centers. It deals with the sometimes permanent consequences of serious addiction. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.
Running on a Mind Rewired

message 15: by Sheana (new)

Sheana | 9 comments Nate, does your book discuss the science of brain chemistry in addiction?

message 16: by Nate (new)

Nate Cannon (runningrewired) Sheana- Yes, the neurological aspects of addiction are a central theme of "Running on a Mind Rewired." It discusses at length how chemical dependency can (and does) rewire the brain.
Running on a Mind Rewired

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Mungal (oliviamungal) | 1 comments I recently read Rob Delany's memoir ROB DELANEY: Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.

Although he's also a comedian, he talks pretty intimately about his struggle with alcoholism as a teen, hitting rock-bottom, and going through rehab. Especially if you need a little humor to offset such a heavy topic, it's a good read.

message 18: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Hoyle | 2 comments There's also Susan Cheever's "Home Before Dark," her memoir of her father John Cheever's struggle with alcoholism.

message 19: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Finn (mickeyfinn) | 5 comments Try In My Own Words [Still Running] a Memoir of a childs triumph over depravity and a must read

message 20: by D (new)

D (chula79) Drugs are nice,tweaked,leaving dirty jersey.

message 21: by Tired CNA (new)

Tired CNA (tired_cna) | 1 comments Miranda wrote: "The only one I can think of is Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction"

I really enjoyed this book. Don't remember the name offhand but the son who he speaks of in this book also wrote a book. It would be interesting to read from his perspective after reading this one.

message 22: by Terri (last edited Mar 21, 2014 04:51AM) (new)

Terri Lenee | 1 comments Elma wrote: "I've been really into books about drugs & the people addicted to them ever since I read Go Ask Alice. I've read other books like it such as Jay's Journals, Lucy in the Sky, and Zoo Station. But tho..."

My book Dying to be a Centerfold is out now and it's my life story as a Centerfold lots of cocaine and drinking and wild parties as well as implant illness. It's my rise and fall from a life with a gangster who was murdered as well as mental illness and more.
Terri Lenee Peake

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara O'leary | 1 comments Dry and Pastrix. So funny!

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom If you are still looking check out Edie: American Girl by Jean Stein. Awesome!

message 25: by D (new)

D (chula79) Pastrix is a wonderful book but I think her addiction is a very small part of that book.

message 26: by Rita (new)

Rita Gardner | 5 comments Elma wrote: "I've been really into books about drugs & the people addicted to them ever since I read Go Ask Alice. I've read other books like it such as Jay's Journals, Lucy in the Sky, and Zoo Station. But tho..."

How about "Lit" - memoir about alcoholism by Mary Karr?
I just wrote a memoir about my childhood that was greatly affected by my father's alcoholism; pub date is September. Titled: "The Coconut Latitudes: Secrets, Storms and Survival." It may not be a technical or deep into the roots of alcoholism but it's a good read about a life disrupted by it.

message 27: by CeeCee (new)

CeeCee James | 8 comments Please consider putting Lost No More on your reading list. It's a story of a boy growing up with a father who's the town drunk. He's told his whole life he's just like his dad. It's a coming of age story.Lost No More Lost No More (Ghost No More #2) by CeeCee James This is book 2 of the Ghost No More series.

message 28: by Rita (new)

Rita Gardner | 5 comments Cee Cee, my memoir is about the effects of alcholism and verbal abuse on a family who has escaped to paradise to start a new life. I think you'll like it; publish date is September. Advance reviews are already noted on Goodreads. Title: "The Coconut Latitudes: Secrets, Storms and Survival in the Caribbean." Rita Gardner

message 29: by CeeCee (new)

CeeCee James | 8 comments Thanks Rita! I'll check it out.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Quillin (iluvbooks2011) | 1 comments "Beauty Queen" by Linda Glovach is shocking, "Guts" by Kristen Johnston from 3rd rock from the sun is amazing, and "Clean" by Amy Reed which is set in a addiction center for teens is brilliant.....I know many more...cant get enough of addiction memoirs....

message 31: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Power | 1 comments I just released my memoir "Screaming Meemies" on Amazon. It follows my life and that of two other women through our addictions and rehab.
http://www.amazon.com/Screaming-Meemi...

message 32: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Vellacott A Christian Missionary Biography about boys abusing solvents in the Philippines...

They're Rugby Boys, Don't You Know? They're Rugby Boys, Don't You Know? by Natalie Vellacott

message 33: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Naus | 4 comments 'parched' is a good one that not many people have read. i'm a big fan of these type of memoirs and i recall seeing a top ten list on a 12-stepper website (i forget the name), and it was at the top of the list. i think 'permanent midnight' was in there too. Parched

enjoy!

message 34: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (goodreadscomuser_amarama) | 1 comments So many greaet suggestions...more great books to read! Has anyone else read "Memoirs of an Addicted Brain" Stephen Lewis? I must read more before saying more...

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul Read Life by Keith Richards last year. You don't have to be a fan, but it would probably help. How has that man survived?

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul Started reading Savage Art A Biography of Jim Thompson by Robert Polito the other day.

About the life of Jim Thompson (obviously), the writer of some seriously twisted Noir/Hard-boiled novels written in the 1930's-40's. 10 pages in & it's absolutely gripping.

message 37: by Mike (new)

Mike Reis | 1 comments Try this one about a father who overcomes his addictions after being inspired by the life of his Super Bowl Hero son. A great read, very inspirational. http://www.amazon.com/Recovery-Lifeti...