Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 41 comments What do you listen to when you write? Or do you need silence? I know the standard answer has always been "Listen to classical." But does that really work for anyone?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Classical drives me insane and does NOT work for writing. I can't write in silence either. What I usually do is go on pandora radio and create a station for music related to a specific band or song. Within Temptation is one of my favorites along with My Darkest Days. Maybe I'm just different, but I find that rock and gothic works for me

message 3: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 41 comments Same here. if I'm writing a fight scene I have to have some good fight music.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Suzanne (andrewsuzanne) | 11 comments Disney's Atlantis OST, Mass Effect 3 OST, The Hobbit OST.

Currently getting great creative kicks from Imagine Dragon's "Radioactive" and Kokia's "Cyouwa Oto/With Reflection" (Definitely youtube the latter)

message 5: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Parker (lafp) | 22 comments Silence. When I write. When I think through the plot, working out a scene or wrestle out a complication, I sometimes make a play list of songs that go with the book . That helps me focus.

message 6: by P.I. (new)

P.I. (thewordslinger) | 123 comments I don't have the luxury of working in silence. My desk is in the corner of the living room and my deaf mother refuses to wear her hearing aids so I struggle everyday through the blaring television audio.
I'm generally so into my story that I find music unnecessary. I have to concentrate on one or the other--music or writing. Both deserve full attention. But that's just me and I'm weird.

message 7: by B. (new)

B. Tealya (tealya) | 8 comments I alternate between silence, classical music, and background music from shows, cartoons, movies, video games, etc. It really depends on what I'm writing. Some scenes just need silence. One of the current ones I'm working on in my second book takes place in a very quiet place and having music really disrupts the feel for me.

I'm sorry, PI. I know how you feel. I write while I'm at school most days and the computer lab can get really noisy at times. Voices can be very distracting when writing, especially when writing dialogue.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 113 comments Silence works best with me. My ideas have their own soundtrack so having any music playing just combines into a cacophony. Over the years I've ended up doing all my writing on my laptop. Obviously it's easier to relax with a laptop, but the main thing is it lets me get away from any noise and distractions and go somewhere quiet.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2164 comments Aside from listening to music while writing Im actually considering making a soundtrack for my book, what does everyone think? different right? I thought about putting together several songs fitting to themes in the book and maybe putting them on my website. Its not much but would be something different and add some effect.

message 10: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Allan (paulineallan) | 15 comments I love the trance grooves of downtempo music. The rhythm takes my brain to that magical place where my muse reigns and I can write for hours.

message 11: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 262 comments I usually go with movies, video games and anime series OSTs, but mostly instrumental works—lyrics tend to distract me (yes, even the Japanese ones, since I understand part of them). Depending on the kind of scene I'm writing, I switch soundtracks accordingly: fast-paced for fight scenes, and so on.

message 12: by Simon (new)

Simon Wheeler (simonhughwheeler) Justin wrote: "Aside from listening to music while writing Im actually considering making a soundtrack for my book, what does everyone think? different right? I thought about putting together several songs fittin..."

I'm with you on that one. Although I don't know what the copyright issue is with putting other people's music on your book. If you have your own song, I think it'd be a good marketing ploy.

message 13: by Keely (new)

Keely (keelyjade) | 25 comments I tend to listen to rain tracks because it helps me zone out, or at the moment I've found listening to the 'chillstep' genre incredibly relaxing! (Bands such as Owsey, Clubroot, CoMa etc)

message 14: by Don (new)

Don Sansone | 37 comments For me, as a musician as well, the music of Hans Zimmer is the most inspiring for writing. He composes the music for tons of popular movies. You can find a lot of compilations of his music on You Tube.
Dialog always sounds better with Hans Zimmer in the background... That's my two cents. :-)

message 15: by Sayword (new)

Sayword Eller (saywordeller) | 7 comments Brandy wrote: "What do you listen to when you write? Or do you need silence? I know the standard answer has always been "Listen to classical." But does that really work for anyone?"

Melancholy music for me. It is soothing without being disruptive. I find that fast music with a screaming guitar only serves to distract me.

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard Knight (riknight36) | 41 comments Brandy wrote: "What do you listen to when you write? Or do you need silence? I know the standard answer has always been "Listen to classical." But does that really work for anyone?"

Progressive rock-old school Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP, King Crimson. Weird stuff.

message 17: by Logan (new)

Logan (logannance) | 705 comments Richard wrote: "Brandy wrote: "What do you listen to when you write? Or do you need silence? I know the standard answer has always been "Listen to classical." But does that really work for anyone?"

Progressive..."

a lot of what I listen to depends on my mood. I have been listening to the Movie Soundtrack station on Pandora a lot lately, but before that, it was mostly rock and roll (Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Poison, etc)

message 18: by C.M.J. (new)

C.M.J. Wallace | 193 comments I have to have silence because I actually listen to music and get distracted.

message 19: by Richard (new)

Richard Knight (riknight36) | 41 comments Dan wrote: "Richard wrote: "Brandy wrote: "What do you listen to when you write? Or do you need silence? I know the standard answer has always been "Listen to classical." But does that really work for anyon..."

Aerosmith has so many different eras of music, so much of it different. Is there a certain era of Aerosmith you used to listen to.

message 20: by Loukia (new)

Loukia Borrell | 29 comments I listen to the soundtrack to "The Painted Veil," "Last of the Mohicans" "Twilight" and older stuff like "Days of Heaven." Inspirational; I don't even sleep in silence. I need something to help me, like a white-noise machine.

message 21: by Logan (new)

Logan (logannance) | 705 comments Richard wrote: "Dan wrote: "Richard wrote: "Brandy wrote: "What do you listen to when you write? Or do you need silence? I know the standard answer has always been "Listen to classical." But does that really wo..."

I usually listen to their Big Ones or Get a Grip, anything from the 90's on....

message 22: by Logan (new)

Logan (logannance) | 705 comments Justin wrote: "Aside from listening to music while writing Im actually considering making a soundtrack for my book, what does everyone think? different right? I thought about putting together several songs fittin..."

I used to write my books asking myself, what should be playing right now if this is a movie. I had a pretty good soundtrack to go with some of my early stuff.

message 23: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2164 comments I forgot about the idea and it fizzled after my computer got all slow but I am going to try it again. I'll take a few songs and put them on the site to promote the book, isn't much but will add spark.

Yeah when writing I need silence otherwise I find myself reading my stuff over and over completely lost.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I do make soundtracks for everything I write. Even did a bit of a write up for my latest novella:

http://spidersparlor.com/random-updat...

message 25: by F.J. (new)

F.J. Hansen (fjhansen) | 25 comments I almost always have music going when I write. Soundtracks and New Age mostly. Often the music I listen to will depend on the mood of the scene I'm working on. Right now in my WIP, there's a massive battle, and I have Two Steps From Hell playing.

James Horner (Avatar) is also on my list for this particular battle.