The BURIED Book Club discussion

Welcome [here lies no TOPIC]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (last edited Mar 10, 2013 11:59AM) (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Talk about stuff here without knowing what it is you might be expected to say. Meanwhile, I've got some instances posted in a few threads perhaps to illustrate what I've got in mind for this little CLUB. please tellme what YOU have inmind.

And WILLKOMMEN!!!

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I have infinitely more enthusiasm than knowledge when it comes to this enterprise, but I HAVE read Moby Dick, so I will go occupy myself over there for now.

message 3: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Aubrey wrote: "I have infinitely more enthusiasm than knowledge when it comes to this enterprise,"

One hopes that as one term increases, the other does not diminish.

HAIL contributors!!!

And lurk at your leisure you LURKERS!!!

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Also Nathan! Would you consider Nine Suitcases: A Memoir buried? My mind upon reading your fuzzy delineations says no, but my heart says yes.

message 5: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Aubrey wrote: "Also Nathan! Would you consider Nine Suitcases: A Memoir buried? My mind upon reading your fuzzy delineations says no, but my heart says yes."

Green Light given. And please link yer reVIEW.

HeART TRUMPS fuzZ.

message 6: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 209 comments A thousand plaudits to our leader for this invaluable resource. My only request is that some of his future posts will be rendered in English. Ta.

message 7: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments MJ wrote: "My only request is that some of his future posts will be rendered in English. Ta."

Merely a daily herumphoola. Twill evenever out.

message 8: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) English is hardly buried. It does not need our protection.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I am glad that this group has exists and hope to plunder it shamelessly in the decades to come.

I have a suggestion for an author who needs to be unearthed: Eliza Haywood.

Here is an informal introduction to the lady: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliza_Ha...

I have read numerous of her works and she is an important figure of the 18th century who is pretty much forgotten except by certain scholars.

message 10: by Ned (last edited Mar 10, 2013 03:43PM) (new)

Ned Rifle | 10 comments I have long beenhoping to draw attention to Neil M. Gunn , he is ridiculously under read and one of the most incredible authors I have so far encountered. It is, however, hard to describe some of his books without them sounding parochial, many of them focusing as they do on highland life. This is not so, it does not account for the depth of focus and the sheer strangeness and moving depths (the depths move, they don't move you (though, of course, they do)) that exist within them. A truly incredible writer who I had considered starting a thread for in the completists' club but did not, for fear of both him and me being met with the customary disinterest. The fact that this book http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11... only has 28 ratings despite also garnering false attention as a collection of Gore Vidal Essays surely means he merits inclusion. http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

I think there are quite a few Scottish writers who suffer from this effect, though they can be very different in style. These others include Edwin Muir, who has a highpoint of 20 rating for one book, James Kelman, whose books, other than those that won prizes, receive little to no attention, and George Mackay Brown, who I have only read one novel and a few poems by but am still reeling (it's good luck to begin and end every list with an Orcadian).

My only non-scottish recommendation for consideration for now would be Gert Hoffman's Parable of the Blind http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16... .

I will actually start threads and write something a bit more concrete about these things later, but you could read them in the meantime.

message 11: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 93 comments This is a great idea for a group. Unearthing a long forgotten book is a rare and unique pleasure. I hope to learn much from this group. Y'all all know me, so no introductions. Peace.

message 12: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) Anthony and Ned, if you want these authors unburied, feel free to unbury them yourselves. Just post a new discussion concerning them under the appropriate heading, and let the exhumation commence!

message 13: by Ned (new)

Ned Rifle | 10 comments Aubrey wrote: "Anthony and Ned, if you want these authors unburied, feel free to unbury them yourselves. Just post a new discussion concerning them under the appropriate heading, and let the exhumation commence!"
I'm planning on it. All of them need something more than facts said, however.

message 14: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 13 comments Thanks for creating the group, NR. It has already introduced me to many authors I hadn't heard of before.

The group name nicely abbreviates to BBC.

message 15: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Megha wrote: "The group name nicely abbreviates to BBC. "

Intentional creation of acronyms always fails under my direction; so thanks to accidentality. But I need more CAPS, so how's about "BURIED B.C.", and then make some connection between the Alexandrian (B.C.) library FIRE (not to mention the famous FIRE concert of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention which launched a thousand and one (kiddie) bands playing the Purple song "Smoke on the Water") and then a bit later the Vesuvian BURIAL (A.D.) of Pompey (which we will assume had an awesome library too). Or just BBC for short?

message 16: by Rand (new)

Rand (iterate) | 99 comments at the risk of going all promo, i thought that this group might be interested in this new book on buried words, called Let's Bring Back The Lost Language Edition A Collection of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful Words Phrases Praises Insults Idioms and Literary Flourishes from Eras Past. there's a giveaway contest-thingy for it on here.

message 17: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments Obviously this is the group I need to be hanging around in, so thanks thanks thanks for this.

message 18: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy (jimmylorunning) | 93 comments Can't wait for your contributions, Nate!

message 19: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Nate D wrote: "Obviously this is the group I need to be hanging around in, so thanks thanks thanks for this."

I had thought about haranguing for your membership, since you had led us initially to the Roche, whence comes our Group LOGO. I assumed you had better things perhaps to do than twaddle away your time on an obsessive grrrrrGroup; like reading Roche? Well,come (et about time).

message 20: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich (spenkevich) | 1 comments Hi everyone. Ironically the BURIED group request had gotten buried in a list of things I forget to check, sorry! Glad to be here now though.

message 21: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 21 comments Oh, were we actually supposed to say something here to indicate that we know of this group? Ah. Ok, said.

Nice to spy on you lot, but not sure that I could be of any assistance. But hey, every group needs some supporters, even silent ones, yes? Please say yes...

message 22: by Traveller (last edited Apr 07, 2013 02:05AM) (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 21 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "And lurk at your leisure you LURKERS!!!"

Ah. Pwew. Validated.

message 23: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Traveller wrote: "Nathan "N.R." wrote: "And lurk at your leisure you LURKERS!!!"

Ah. Pwew. Validated."

And free parking with every BURIED BOOK READ, unDEAD. Voices required for the shouting from rooftops of unheard NAMES; andbuttoo EARS of all kinds of those let them hear who shall hear and the NAMES ricochet to reflect and find the unREAD no longer DEAD, THOSE EARS, yes The BURIED Book Club Requires, REQUIRES in spades.

message 24: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments s.penkevich wrote: "Hi everyone. Ironically the BURIED group request had gotten buried in a list of things I forget to check, sorry! Glad to be here now though."

No irony here. It is all designed that we don't contradict ourselves and find that cash registers are jingling with sales of Tel Quel books or Dalkey's Archive is stuffed with the Gold of sALES. THAT would be ironicalistisch! We be (no?) the litERAry illumiNOTI, yes? AEronauts? Yes. Secreted handshake? Chocolate, please.

message 25: by Traveller (new)

Traveller (moontravlr) | 21 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: "..And free parking with every BURIED BOOK READ, unDEAD. Voices required for the shouting from rooftops of unheard NAMES; andbuttoo EARS of all kinds of those let them hear who shall hear and the NAMES ricochet to reflect and find the unREAD no longer DEAD, THOSE EARS, yes The BURIED Book Club Requires, REQUIRES in spades.."

They shall ricochet, indeedy they shall! If they can be found, they may even be read, and the quest for finding them shalleth make their names reSOUND. Yeppers, sound and REsound.

message 26: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments Nathan "N.R." wrote: I had thought about haranguing for your membership, since you had led us initially to ..."

This fine establishment seems to have thrown open its doors 2 days into a 2 week road trip, hence my temporary unsight hence lack of insight.

message 27: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Traveller wrote: "They shall ricochet, indeedy they shall! If they can be found, they may even be read, and the quest for finding them shalleth make their names reSOUND. Yeppers, sound and REsound. "

In Websters, under "contributor," THAT is exactly what's stated.

message 28: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Nate D wrote: "This fine establishment seems to have thrown open its doors 2 days into a 2 week road trip, hence my temporary unsight hence lack of insight. ."

Tell me please, tell me do, that two weeks of road included an occasional Village Bookshop, no? Perhaps it was ALL Bookshop?

message 29: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments I was shooting photos and video for Impose magazine, so most of my activities were music-based. But I did go into every book shop I saw, particularly in Chicago, one of which providentially allowed me to meet Russ Woods, who was about to do an excellent reading (not buried, just about to grow up through the surface of the ground with his first novel sometime soon) and another of which was packed to the gills with amazing, weird $3 sci-fi paperbacks from the 60s and 70s, particularly. I think that's an area you're not as likely to dip into, but some of it is very strange and even experimental once you burrow beneath the "classics", my glimpses of which will always keep me digging.

message 30: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments s.penkevich wrote: "Hi everyone. Ironically the BURIED group request had gotten buried in a list of things I forget to check, sorry! Glad to be here now though."

Welcome! I can imagine the amount of mail you get...so yeah stuff would get buried but now you are here & so is Mike P – so happy!

message 31: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Marked your attendance boy,now sit quietly,class is on!

message 32: by Dolors (new)

Dolors (luli81) | 11 comments Mala wrote: "Marked your attendance boy,now sit quietly,class is on!"

Thanks for the invite Mala, this looks like good fun...

message 33: by Mala (new)

Mala | 146 comments Welcome Dolors! Have fun but don't forget there's work to be done ;-) [God,I'm turning into a female version of NR o_o]

message 34: by Lynne (new)

Lynne King | 28 comments Hello everyone. Garima suggested that I might like to join, and so here I am.

message 35: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Lynne wrote: "Hello everyone. Garima suggested that I might like to join, and so here I am."

Spade in hand, eh? Welcome.

message 36: by Gregsamsa (new)

Gregsamsa | 94 comments I've just returned all sweaty from the html mines and started a thread on Aziz Nesim. Can't guarantee when the reviews will get done as I'd need a re-read and I'm currently trudging through both Gass' Middle C and Self's Umbrella and oh lordy mah head she hurts so bad...

message 37: by Nathan "N.R." (last edited Sep 25, 2013 08:15AM) (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments A short elevator=sized quote which indicates quickly the precise nature of the project we have undertaken here, shovel=in=hand ::

“When we think of the masterpieces that nobody praised and nobody read, back there in the past, we feel an impatient superiority to the readers of the past. If we had been there, we can’t help feeling, we’d have known that Moby-Dick was a good book—-why, how could anyone help knowing?
"But suppose someone says to us, 'Well, you’re here now: what’s our own Moby-Dick? What’s the book that, a hundred years from now, everybody will look down on us for not having liked?' What do we say then?”
― Randall Jarrell, The Third Book Of Criticism

To quickly ADD this quote ::
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/searc...

message 38: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments This returns me to the (not so satisfactory) list I drew up after being underwhelmed by that Dalkey "Books that will still be highly regarded in 100 years" selection. I know which books I alone seem to love, but it's still so hard to pinpoint which will actually ascend critical esteem late in the game.

message 39: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Nate D wrote: "I know which books I alone seem to love, but it's still so hard to pinpoint which will actually ascend critical esteem late in the game. "

Not so much to predict what will happen ;; but to prepare for what will happen. This is what I mean by ad=VOC=CAT=SEE ;; what we get ourselves up to today will in part determine what will be possible to get oneself up into 100 years from now. Prepare the way of the Book, as John the Baptizer once said. We are ourselves that critical esteem ;; as other critics esteem our judgements, so too will they esteem that which we esteem. YOUR VOTE COUNTS IN THIS GAME OF CANON COMPOSITIONS == even if and especially if you have no vote in policy matters on goodreads.

message 40: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments I'm a little behind on things. But NEXT week, maybe, if someone can come up with a few slogans and a few cute jpg's which we could post into feeds and such=not, anyway, NEXT week will be BURIED Book Week. BURIAL (my friends and Friends, you are already familiar with this fact) -- BURIAL is an unacknowledged form of censorship.

BAN it or BURN it and they'll write an ARTicle about it ;; but BURY it quietly and no one will ever know.

SPEAK now for the book which has been SILENCE'd and BURIED.

message 41: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose | 153 comments Books are rising from their graves, and they want MORE BRAINS!

message 42: by MJ (last edited Sep 28, 2013 07:08PM) (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 209 comments I am hard at work unburying the work of Mr Gabriel Josipovici (alongside Scribscrab). Author thread coming soon . . .

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 29, 2013 07:52AM) (new)

What a good idea for a group. A few years ago I would've suggested Clarice Lispector as writer who deserves to be better known in the Anglosphere, but she's received rather more attention from our periodicals of late. Her compatriot João Guimarães Rosa is a very fine writer, but hardly anything by him has been made available in English. One fairly obscure poet I've been meaning to read is Charlotte Mew, who Catherine Dawson Scott tried to unBURY in a recent article for the New Statesman.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

And Lord knows the list of neglected Scottish writers is a long one.

message 45: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments JP wrote: "A few years ago I would've suggested Clarice Lispector..."

....is who we're for ;; but thank the deities she don't need us no more.

João Guimarães Rosa -- this is getting difficult for the in- and out- decision. Rosa's numbers look quite robust. BUT only two of his books in English :: The Devil to Pay in the Backlands and The Third Bank of the River and Other Stories. And only about six/seven reviews. Both, too, are apparently oop and $$$$. Also, Joshua Cohen discovered that someone had called it the Brazilian Ulysses. BURIED -- ADD please. [and word has it the The Devil to Pay exists in BAD translation and perhaps ought be add hence'ly :: Please! tranSLATE BOOK.

Charlotte Mew is also BURIED, but don't ask me about poetry.... ADD'able.

Thanks for stopping in, JP.

message 46: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Zadignose wrote: "Books are rising from their graves, and they want MORE BRAINS!"

Heh heh. How many months have we gone w/o zombie-babies? But here's the deal ;; the more you say 'zombie' the more I post Cannibal Corpse videos. And then it'll all go to hell cuz folks will start to hate me. But, yes, rising from their graves.......

message 47: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose | 153 comments Hmmm... I just noticed something. When a thread is "about" an author (e.g. "This topic is about Heinrich Wittenwiler"), then the thread does not appear as a link on the author's profile page... or any page at all, as far as I can tell. But if the author's name appears within the thread, in any context, even if the thread is about bacon (the food) or football (the food), then a link appears under "threads that mention this author."

This all seems very non-intuitive.

I mention it here because here lies no topic.

message 48: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Zadignose wrote: "Hmmm... I just noticed something. When a thread is "about" an author (e.g. "This topic is about Heinrich Wittenwiler"), then the thread does not appear as a link on the author's profile page... or ..."

From my half-ass parsing of the manner in which links replicate ;; I think you are correct ;; and which I too have found more than irritatingly not-the-right-way-to-do-things. The lesson is == more links, please :: author links, book links, links to sexy pictures of authors (or just post the pics on the page!!) -- replication of links is SPADE=work!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Aubrey wrote: "Also Nathan! Would you consider Nine Suitcases: A Memoir buried? My mind upon reading your fuzzy delineations says no, but my heart says yes."

The system works! I'm giving Mr Zsolt a shot now.

message 50: by Megha (new)

Megha (hearthewindsing) | 13 comments I came across Dzanc Books' Goodreads profile today:

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6...

I figure some people here may be interested in friending/following them.

« previous 1