Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

256 views
General IR Book Discussion > Looking For Non-Erotic, Interracial Book Recommendations. Printed Books or Ebooks

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
I want to read more interracial stories. My preference is BWWM, but I'll read other kind of interracial romance as well. I want to read stories about humans. No vampires, shape shifters, etc.

I'm looking for strong, believable characters. I love good tension in a story. I love me some, good bad boy heroes. I love sexy nerds as well. I like the hero to be sassy, tough, loving, a protector, a mirror. I want to see that he's in love with the heroine. Sex doesn't equal love to me.

I want the heroine to be tough too. I don't like weaklings. I don't want her to let the hero or anyone else walk over her.

I don't mind reading straight romance, but I do like to read stories, where the hero is a hero in the story. I love action too.

I have more to say, but I'll stop there. I believe that's enough information.

So, recommend away.


message 2: by Arch , Mod (last edited Mar 30, 2009 02:55PM) (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Eugenia,

I think that I am not making myself clear. I'm very aware of the fact that people that's in love have sex.

When I say that sex doesn't equal love to me. I am talking about books, where there is no storyline. All you see is the hero and heroine sleeping with one another. They never gotten the chance to get to know one another, etc.

I like to read new authors. I've made the mistake and started reading a new author's book, to find out it's was erotic.

If a book is filled with sex and no storyline, where can I find the love?


message 3: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Mar 30, 2009 02:49PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Arch, you're in my head writing my wish list LOL. I like a lil paranormal thrown in though hehe.

I think via stories what Arch may be thinking is that erotica/erotic romance isn't a sub for a good romantic love story although most publishers try to sell it as such by tacking on an HEA. T'aint the same, I'd have to agree.

Did you check out these yet?

No Commitment Required (great tension and drama)
I'll Be Your Shelter (Suspense, tough heroine, great alpha hero)

Sara's Reward was really good too because it focuses on the drama and family with a sprinkle of love scenes there but they don't detract from the story)

You know it's pretty hard to find sweet bwwm love stories these days come to think of it. Not to mention action focused bwwm suspense. I have one called Before Dawn Breaks that may fit that. I have one in the works with more secret agents.

If you're looking for more Brockmann like, you may try Aliyah Burke's series. I have them on my wishlist and I haven't tried them yet to see the sexual content but you can ask Aliyah since she's on GR (and pops in from time to time). Her series has Navy Seals and IRs and they seem to be full of action.

http://www.aliyah-burke.com/books/ser...



message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user Do you think so, Rae? I would think that it would be easy to find sweet, non-explicit IR --outside of the erotica publishers, I mean-- because many IR authors are so afraid of catering to a stereotype (e.g. the sexual african american woman) that they write in the other direction completely.


message 5: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I would've thought so too because of that stereotype but most of the IRs I come across tend to go somewhat explicit. There may be some historical reads that run sweet but contemporaries...not sure if I can pinpoint any recent ones. The ones from the 90s were good but most tend to focus on race.

I can find a TON of non-IR sweeter romances and in fact just joined a Yahoo group the other day that focuses on these types.


message 6: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
I guess we think alike Rae, since I'm writing your wish list.

I'm not really looking for Navy Seals, per say. I am just looking for a little action. I want to see someone being saved. I will have to check out your book, Before Dawn Breaks.

One of my reasons for writing His Bodyguard, because I wanted to try my hand at an interracial action story. I've written fan fictions with action.

I know that there aren't too many IR books in print and that's why you can find them on ebook format, but a huge percentage of those ebooks are erotic books too. I know there is a theme, "Sex sales." but not to everyone. What about the readers that aren't into erotic stories? What do these writers have for us?

I know that authors that have books in ebooks forms, would love for their books to sale. If I am wrong, an author that has ebooks for sale, correct me.

Question. What kind of readers are "you (a general you)" looking for?



message 7: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Arch wrote: "I know that there aren't too many IR books in print and that's why you can find them on ebook format, but a huge percentage of those ebooks are erotic books too. I know there is a theme, "Sex sales." but not to everyone. What about the readers that aren't into erotic stories? What do these writers have for us? "

I strongly concur. It's hard to find them but I keep the faith that those types of writers and books are out there. We just have to dig a little deeper to find them because the companies don't push them as much as the erotic ones. Like you said sex sells and companies tend to focus on where the money is.

Oh! Have you tried David Handler and Judith Smith Levin? They're more mystery but there may be some action there...



message 8: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
I have read David Handler stories. My library doesn't carry Judith Smith Levin.

I love tension.

Rae, have you read Suzanne Brockmann's stories with Sam and Alyssa? They have tension. I like that.




message 9: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I have them on my shelf but their on my TBR list. Haven't read them yet though. I'll prob take a read once I get back into my romantic suspense mood. Right now I'm in a historical groove hehe. But I'm definitely interested since you guys speak highly of the books. :-)


message 10: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
I'm a big fan of Alyssa and Sam. I could read a book, just for their parts.


message 11: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Gone Too Far was my first book by Suzanne Brockmann. IMO, it's a stand alone book, but to some people they have to see how Sam and Alyssa came about "Gone Too Far" and I have to say, it's good to start from the beginning if you are new to a series and can't read books out of order.




message 12: by new_user (last edited Apr 01, 2009 08:02AM) (new)

new_user I wouldn't consider Gone Too Far a standalone at all, and I've read a lot of series out of order, LOL. I would recommend reading the Troubleshooters in order. There are not only numerous references to previous events, within the romance plot and without, there is also a prior relationship between Sam and Alyssa that is important to understanding their dynamic. I read Gone Too Far first, and I didn't find their relationship romantic in the least. She was Right (also a grade-A ice queen), and he was Wrong. I cannot stand relationships where one partner is constantly condescending to the other like a child. Nothing kills it for me like that.


message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
I fell in love with Sam in this book. The tension was just right in my eyes. I found the fighting scene in Walmart to show just how much they loved one another.

Of course, it helped, me finding out about Defiant Hero. After reading GTF, I read the little piece of Flashpoint in the back of the book, looking for Sam and Alyssa. I wasn't thinking prior books, because I honestly didn't know that this book was part of a series. I just happend to buy this book at a library sale one day.

Long story short. I've found out about a certain scene in Defiant Hero and had to read to find out about it. So, I have checked the book out to read and the other books they were in.

I don't have anything against any of the other casts, but besides Alyssa and Sam, Dave and Sophia are my other favorites from the series.


message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (last edited Mar 31, 2009 04:42AM) (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Rae wrote: "I would've thought so too because of that stereotype but most of the IRs I come across tend to go somewhat explicit. There may be some historical reads that run sweet but contemporaries...not sure ..."

Oh, what group did you join, Rae? I'd like to join too. I do like sensuality and good love scenes, as long as it shows the connection between the hero and heroine. I don't like the erotic books that have a happy romance ending. I am not a fan of the 'hook up' and we might fall in love books. But that's just me.

I agree that sex is an expression of love, like Eugenia is saying. But for me, the love and the connection has to be the number one aspect in the romantic story, and the sex comes out of that. My issue with the erotic romances is I don't like reading about non-vanilla sex. I am squeamish about that.



message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

 Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
new_user wrote: "Do you think so, Rae? I would think that it would be easy to find sweet, non-explicit IR --outside of the erotica publishers, I mean-- because many IR authors are so afraid of catering to a stereot..."

I don't know New_User. It seems as though it is the erotic interracial renaissance. A lot of the ebooks that come out are on the erotic side. There are quite a few that are sensual, and less that are sweet. It takes some pretty intensive research to find the sweeter, less erotic books. You can do it, but it's a little harder. It used to be a little more the opposite when Genesis Press was the driving force in interracial romance publishing. Their print books are lighter on the sex, not as intense, and certainly not erotic. But someone mentioned that Genesis was bought out by Kensington, so they aren't releasing as many now.

My goal is, if I get published, is to write IR that are sensual but also romantic and on the sweeter side. I want the romance to always be the focus. But for those who like the erotic aspects, I think there are plenty of authors who will provide those kinds of stories too. Unlike Arch, I don't mind detailed love scenes, as long as they are strictly vanilla, one man/one woman, and there is a strong emotional connection between them.




message 16: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Mar 31, 2009 03:38PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Gatadelafuente (Danielle) wrote: "Rae wrote: "I would've thought so too because of that stereotype but most of the IRs I come across tend to go somewhat explicit. There may be some historical reads that run sweet but contemporaries..."

It's called Sweet and Sensual Romances. Here's the linkie: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sweetan...

I just bought a good time travel romance book that sounded real good. Going to send you a rec.

Your post is exactly how I feel as well.


message 17: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Question For Everyone: What do you see as being detailed love scenes?


message 18: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Me personally I like the touch and feel and connection through emotion rather than slot A tab B Ikea love scenes. The author doesn't have to go into detail say what's exactly happening but give an idea based on how the h/h feel toward each other, the reader gets the idea.

Case in point:


He moved his hips against me in imperious command, and I felt my legs open for him, my gates thrown wide to welcome ravishment.
"Never," he whispered to me. "Never. Never another but me! Look at me! Tell me! Look at me, Claire!" He moved in me, strongly, and I moaned and would have turned my head, but he held my face between his hands, forcing me to meet his eyes, to see his wide, sweet mouth, twisted in pain.
"Never," he said, more softly. "For you are mine. My wife, my heart, my soul." The weight of him held me still, like a boulder on my chest, but the friction of our flesh made me thrust against him, wanting more. And more.
"My body," he said, gasping for breath as he gave me what I sought. I bucked beneath him as though I wanted to escape, my back arching like a bow, pressing me into him. He lay then at full length on me, scarcely moving, so that our most intimate connection seemed barely closer than the marriage of our skins.
The grass was harsh and prickly under me, the pungence of crushed stems sharp as the smell of the man who took me. My breasts were flattened under him, and I felt the small tickle of the hairs on his chest as we rubbed together, back and forth. I squirmed, urging him to violence, feeling the swell of his thighs as he pressed me down.
"Never," he whispered to me, face only inches from mine.
"Never," I said, and turned my head, closing my eyes to escape the intensity of his gaze.
A gentle, inexorable pressure turned me back to face him, as the small, rhythmic movements went on.
"No, my Sassenach," he said softly. "Open your eyes. Look at me. For that is your punishment, as it is mine. See what you have done to me, as I know what I have done to you. Look at me."





See that to me is hot and very sensual and it didn't have to go into complete detail as to what's happening because you get the idea through the emotions of the characters. I prefer those types myself. (Now I'm tempted to read that book in the series again lol)


message 19: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Mar 31, 2009 05:54PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
LOL now that made ME laugh. Did a guy write that? Sounds kind of late night soft core Skinemax type. Eek. That's kinda what I had in mind by Ikea love scenes and too much exposition.

The scene I posted above happened after some harrowing things between the couple so it kinda fit within the context of the story. Just my preference. :-)


message 20: by new_user (last edited Mar 31, 2009 07:31PM) (new)

new_user I can find similar problems in both passages, so explicitness seems to make no difference. In both cases, I see cheese.

Gabaldon writes phrases like, "...my gates thrown wide to welcome ravishment," where the heroine rhapsodizes with a metaphor. Similarly with melodramatic, generic confessions of love, "For you are mine. My wife, my heart, my soul."

Lee confines the cheese to the dialogue, where the characters discuss their genitalia as having a "mind of [their:] own," and carry that joke entirely too long. It is also a little scripted and choreographed, which might lead to comparisons to certain media we know. If the author had cut some of that poor dialogue and frolicking for some genuine loving and whispering, it might have made a better scene.

Of course, both authors use poor exposition at points. "He lay then at full length on me... our most intimate connection seemed barely closer than the marriage of our skins." The beginning of this sentence sounds like an instruction manual and the latter is so vague and florid it could have been written in the 18th century. In Lee's passage, there are one or two requisite lines describing slot A inserting into slot B. It's not very creative or evocative language; there is little to no indication of the feelings involved.

I could probably find better scenes from both styles, but my point is that at the end of the day, there's not much difference between them. They both get the same job done and the same problems will be just as annoying in one form as the other.


message 21: by new_user (last edited Mar 31, 2009 09:29PM) (new)

new_user Hey, don't underestimate romance, Eugenia. ;) It has value too. :) And you got me, the first problems with the first passage are better classed as "corny," LOL. ;)

And Rae's passage was from Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon.


message 22: by Arch , Mod (last edited Mar 31, 2009 10:24PM) (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Thanks ladies for sharing what you all see as detailed sex. The reason, why I have asked my question, is because I have stated more than once that I don't care for detailed love scenes and I wondered if you all thought that I was saying that I only read love scenes such as:

"Red opens the bedroom door, carrying Yellow. He places her on the bed......"

And then, the next page shows them eating breakfast in the kitchen.

That's not what I am talking about, when I say that I am not into detailed sex scenes. Although, a scene like above, would work for me, because I know what they have done in the bedroom. I love leave it to the imagination scenes.

Rae's example was okay to me.

Eugenia's example. I'm not comfortable with.

I don't read erotic stories, because that's not my cup of tea and plus, I know that the love scenes will be very detailed and graphic.

I will not read a detailed love scene in a non-erotic book either. Another thing, I don't need to know what a woman and man have below the waist. I know already. I don't even like to read bedroom talk.

Sam Starrett and Alyssa Locke's love scenes weren't detailed sex to me and no, I am not saying that because they're my number one favorite couple.

No matter how much I love them, if their sex scenes were detailed, trust me, I would have skipped them. If I would have known before hand that Sam and Alyssas' love scenes were detailed, I wouldn't have read the books.

I buy books and not know about love scenes. Whenever, I start reading a book and gets to a love scene and see that it's not my cup of tea. That book is history.

Okay, I'm ending my reply now. I just wanted you all to see what I mean by detailed sex. I know we all read different stuff.


Eugenia, write your sex scene.









message 23: by new_user (last edited Mar 31, 2009 09:50PM) (new)

new_user Whoa, Eugenia, I completely missed your second post! LOL. No, don't worry at all about the sex scene. I was just using those two passages as examples to make a point. I'm not necessarily always that analytical while I'm reading, LOL. If it doesn't float my boat, it doesn't float my boat, no biggie. ;)

Actually, I read both kinds of scenes frequently, but I do lean more towards the more explicit stuff myself. I would read erotica if it was more mentally engaging for me. I like a fuller plot with some development and preferably action or suspense, but when I first discovered erotica, I was all over it. (Don't even get me started on my hormones, girl, LOL.) I just wasn't impressed by Lee's scene, that's all, LOL.


message 24: by new_user (last edited Mar 31, 2009 10:18PM) (new)

new_user Yeah, the word limit is definitely a factor. I don't like to read any novella, really. There's simply not enough space to develop a satisfactory plot for me. Even my favorite authors, I never read their short stories and novellas. (Excepting the stories here, of course. ;) I don't see anything wrong with erotica though. I don't judge it the same, of course, because it has a different purpose. But for me, unless the passion is exhibited in another form, a book that glosses over these scenes is generally a weak or even limp romance. (And can more appropriately be labeled general fiction, etc.)

And not to draw us more off-topic, but I totally agree with you about sex in the US. There still seems to be a pervasive belief that sex = bad, evident in our language, e.g. talking about sex is "dirty," "naughty," "scandalous," and so on. These words have a negative connotation. It is still considered natural and expected for a man to have a high libido, e.g. a male virgin at age 20 might be considered bizarre, whereas women are still considered the less sexual sex, though medicine has long since debunked this. (Variation is greater between individuals than across sexes and it comes down to hormones and socialization, but mostly hormones.)

I certainly do think it is harmful for a young adolescent to enter into a sexual culture completely blind. I don't know see how it couldn't be. If anything, the unknown's more tantalizing-- and more easily exploited, as you mentioned. Ignorance always is. Information is key, imo, and certainly that may include the parents' opinion on the matter too (so you don't think I'm suggesting giving a kid condoms and letting them fly free, LOL).


message 25: by Arch , Mod (last edited Mar 31, 2009 10:26PM) (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Eugenia, I am not calling you dirty or anyone else dirty that reads detailed sex scenes or erotic stories. I will go and edit my post to show graphic.

A lot of teenagers that have gotten pregnant have been taught about sex, pregnancy, STD, etc.

I can't speak for another city, but I will speak for the city that I live in. Every summer, an education about your body and sex is taught at a school for girls and boys. When, I was younger, I would go to them. Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that parents should talk to their children about sex and not wait until they are teenagers. I know that they teach sex education in school, but that's my responsibility to teach my children, not someone else.

If a teenager's parents are not teaching them about sex, then I believe that a child should get educated about it on his or her own. There's no excuse. There are too many free information out there that a teenager can get and learn about sex.

As an adult, I still buy educational book to read about the body, sex, pregnancy, etc. I even buy books about drugs, guns, and other educational things.

What drives me to a story is the tension, not sex. I'm speaking about me only. No one else.










message 26: by Arch , Mod (last edited Mar 31, 2009 11:43PM) (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Eugenia, you said:

Kids whose parents really teach them about sex don't get pregnant, they just don't you know how, I mean "really" not that round about thing where they throw you a book.

I disagree. I know young ladies, who are adults now, who had a baby or babies as a teenager, whose parents taught them about sex.

A parent can teach a child about sex, but that doesn't mean that their daughter will not go out there and have sex and get pregnant or even their son from going out there and getting a girl pregnant.

It would be great if people would sepak up about sex really and truly, people are out here addicted to porn, sexual addiction because we keep sex so locked up.

Many people that are addicted to porn or even have a sexual addiction, is because they walked in curiosity shoes.

Many people that are addicted to porn and are sex addicts are people that are married and wants to jump over the fence for what they see as a little fun.

One of the many places they should be talking about it is in church, where they never talk about it.

I can't speak about other churches, but I do know that sex is talked about at my church.

Parents should teach it but they don't, I'm grateful some schools do but even a lot of them don't and let's be for real what kids are trying to run out there and get that kind of info, kids don't think like that.

Some parents are teaching their children about sex.

It's sad, but it's true, some parents are even letting their children have sex in their house.

I've hear about kids doing stuff I didn't do until I was a grown woman and some stuff I've never done.

A lot of children today, love walking in the "friends with benefit" shoes and that's sick.

Arch, I'm not saying you have to go anywhere near it, whatever comfort zone you're in stay there.

I hear what you are saying Eugenia. :)

If something is not my cup a tea, I will not go there.

I guess now, people are wondering if I will write a love scene in Courage and if anyone is reading my other two stories: Destiny and His Bodyguard, too.

I could be wrong!





message 27: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
I got up to do something. Why not check my email?

Just because a teenage girl gets pregnant, doesn't mean she wasn't taught about sex and just because a teenage boy gets a girl pregnant doesn't mean that he wasn't taught about sex.

Lets say a condom was used. A condom can break.

A condom or even birth control doesn't guarantee that a woman will not get pregnant. Using both, maybe.

I love watching birth shows. A few months ago, I have seen a birth show, where the woman was going in to have her third child. She said that a condom didn't prevent her from getting pregnant. Birth control pills didn't and something else she named. Her and her husband was having their third child.

Now in regards to STD. A person can get an STD via the mouth.

Another sad thing, many people will not come out and tell the next person. I have a STD.

I never forget watching a tv show, where a man had aids and he said that he was going to give it to as many people as he can. He has gotten it from someone unaware. Yes, I am sure, many people have seen that episode and probably even women that he was trying to hook up with afterwards, but just think of all the women he has been with prior to confessing what he is doing.

Some people could even have a STD and not be aware of it. How many people truly take a STD test, before sleeping with someone? Many people participate in one night stands. Even in books, a female and male can jump into bed right then and there, without knowing if the other have a STD or even had a STD.

Moving along, to married men cheating on their wives, because their wives will not do certain things with them. I don't believe that's the case all the time. Some women can be doing what their husband like and their husband is still not happy. He wants his cake and ice cream too.

Many men will cheat on their wives, because to him, if she gained a little weight, she's not attractive to him anymore.

Some men are afraid of getting old and seeing their wife "old age" and want to be with someone young.

All the above example is wrong.

I hate the "I've cheated, because you........"

Lust will drive a person to cheat. Women and men.

I hate to hear a man say, "I love my wife." or a woman say, "I love my husband." - but yet, they cheat on them.

A man doesn't love me, if he cheats on me. If I cheat on my husband, I don't love him.

The question is: What does the next woman has that a man's wife doesn't have? The body parts are the same, different in shape and sizes, but still the same.

The same question goes for a woman. What does the next man has that her husband doesn't?

I can tell you want a cheater has: No respect and love for themselves. If a man doesn't love himself, he will not love his wife. If a woman doesn't love herself, she will not love her husband.

Adultery doesn't equal love in my eyes.

I have a motto: How a man knows he's mine. He will never look at another woman or even cheat on me. If he does, then he's not mine.




message 28: by new_user (last edited Apr 01, 2009 07:48AM) (new)

new_user Hm, yeah, parents need to get involved and more confident. If I recall correctly, the only thing we learned in my sex ed class was the symptoms of common STDs. (Does your pee burn, Timmy?) Better than nothing, I suppose.

Eugenia wrote: "Jane Austen did it all the time, I read tons of Christian romance that have no sex scene at all and it's really intense and beautiful the love...romance doesn't."

Yeah, in my head these two types of romances are separate. The kind that focuses on a "spiritual" love versus the more practical kind. The first can definitely be intense, I agree, because instead of sex the author focuses on the consuming feelings in this relationship. In a typical romance novel, however, say, a contemporary suspense, there is not a lot of spiritual love, so without anything else that's a weak romance for me, where we catch their relationship in glimpses... I can only read so many spiritual romances, LOL.


message 29: by new_user (last edited Apr 01, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

new_user Eugenia wrote: "She can tell a love story without sex, if she wants to. "

Of course. That's her prerogative.


message 30: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Eugenia,

In regards to pregnancy, who is being punished and how they are being punished?

I want to address this statement:

Men cheat cause they can, that's it not real complicated. Many things can drive people to cheat, opportunity not the least of them. But when cheating happens and a marriage breaks up, two people have to do with that not one and you'd only know that if you were married. For men love equals sex, that's how they show love and feel that if their wife loves them she'll have sex with them. You're setting yourself up for a heartache if you decide to use sex as a reward or a punishment. I'm not talking because I don't know, I know.

Lust makes a man or woman cheat.

You said that for men, sex equals love. I guess you are talking about married men. I will go with that route. Well, sex doesn't equal love, and if a married man and/or woman belives it does, then they are wrong.

If a married man shows his wife that he loves her by having sex with her, then if he cheats on her, what is he showing the other woman, by having sex with her?

Some men rape their wives. I know that some people don't believe that a man can rape his wife. That she suppose to have sex with him, whenever he wants it. But, there is a such thing as rape in a marriage. I've done a report on it in High School.

Lorraine Bobbit husband raped her and that's why she cut off his private part, which was wrong. Thank goodness that she told the cops where she threw it.

A woman should never believe in that she has to sleep with a man to show him that she loves him.

Men: "If you love me, you would sleep with me."

Not So!


message 31: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
It's great being a writer. Storytelling can be fun.


message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user Hey, I know we all have strong feelings on the subject, but let's not minimize anyone's value to the discussion. At any rate, perhaps we should bring this back on-topic. Do you have care for historical settings, Arch?


message 33: by Arch , Mod (last edited Apr 02, 2009 08:24AM) (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Your apology is accepted Eugenia. I want to add. I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth. I am sorry you felt that I was.

New_User, historical settings? Do you mean if I would read a Historical Interracial romance book? If that's what you are asking, then yes.


message 34: by new_user (new)

new_user Hey, no problem, I just wanted to keep the atmosphere friendly.

Eugenia wrote: "If it's good sex the feelings part is hard to recall over the carnal part, now that's good sex not good love. LOL.

LOL, yeah, by feelings, though, I meant like, how he's making her feel. Nadaimean? LOL. Chica bow bow.


message 35: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Thanks, New_User.

So, are you going to be writing a story in the challenge?


message 36: by new_user (last edited Apr 02, 2009 04:31PM) (new)

new_user *cackle* You like that one, Eugenia? ;)

Arch wrote: "Thanks, New_User.

So, are you going to be writing a story in the challenge?"


I was thinking about it, but it's hard to come up with an original story about royalty, LOL. Hm... We'll see. I'll give it more thought over the weekend. :)


message 37: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Maybe you can write a non-royal story under a different folder, New_User.


message 38: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Apr 02, 2009 04:45PM) (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Ack! Please accept my apologies. I didn't mean to to incite anything or make anyone feel bad. Eugenia, I definitely wouldn't laugh at your story. I think I tend to go into giggle fits cause I've read some erotica passages where the body parts were personified and it just seemed kinda "hehe" to me.

I didn't mean to disappear but my computer shot out so I haven't been able to get to one in the past few days. :-( Just now making it back and wanted to say sorry if I made anyone feel bad.

Just an FYI if you check out Dragonfly in Amber be sure to read Outlander first or you will be totally lost. I suggested it to a friend and she was confused as it was the second book.

Gabaldon can get a bit "corny" to some but I love her style and extension in historical fact and adventure.

Note to writers reading this thread: write what's comfy for you and know your target readers. I notice we have a varied readership on this thread alone much less the group and writers would do def do well to know their target readership. Most likely it's what you read already. ;-)


message 39: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Sorry to hear about your computer Rae.




message 40: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Thanks Arch. I'm going to try to use a fam member's laptop during off hours or my phone. It's just a bit of an inconvenience cause I have all my major stuff on my comp. Hopefully I'll be back in business soon though! :-)


message 41: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
You will be.

I'll be back on in about an hour. I have to finish exercise. I need to finish chapter three to Courage too, so that will be posted up later.


message 42: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Thanks Arch! I look forward to your new chap. Hope you have a fun workout!

That's true, Eugenia! Sorta something for everyone. :-D I think that'll be a great selling point for readers.

Hope you enjoy it. Outlander starts a bit slow in the beginning but it picks up quite soon. It quickly became one of my new favorites although I wasn't too happy with most of book 3. I'm tempted to give the first two a reread myself now.


message 43: by new_user (new)

new_user Arch wrote: "Maybe you can write a non-royal story under a different folder, New_User. "

Aw, but it's fun to write with everybody. Are you guys going to do another challenge?



message 44: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Popping, in for a second.

New_User, I might do another challenge later, if one is started. Right now, I am in the middle of writing three interracial stories

1. Destiny
2. His Body
3. Courage


message 45: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Yes, Eugenia. I can be writing one story and stuff pops in my head about the next story. I can even not be writing, no more than one story and another story idea comes to me.




message 46: by new_user (new)

new_user Well, I was kind of thinking it would be fun to have a paranormal challenge, but I know that's not a favorite for you guys. Maybe a military or uniform theme...


message 47: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
In my story His Bodyguard the hero is a detective and the heroine is a bodyguard.

Now, in regards to men in uniform. Are you talking about An Officer and Gentleman - Richard Gere uniform, type of hero?





message 48: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Title: The Mailman delivers your package and on time.


message 49: by new_user (new)

new_user LMAO. Yes, I was referring to mailmen. What fantasy is complete without a mailman... LOL, JK.

But yeah, I was trying to encompass cops, firemen, special agents, SEALS, whatever you like. :)


message 50: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Ooh! Special agents woo hoo!


« previous 1
back to top