The BURIED Book Club discussion

Maurice Roche
This topic is about Maurice Roche
unBURIED Authors Q-T > Maurice Roche

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments To Maurice Roche we owe the skull doodle which shall henceforthwith signify the UNEARTHing of Books. To Friend Nate D I owe the DIScovering of Roche.

message 2: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Nate D's review (with photo and LINKS) in his review of Roche's CodeX :: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Another photo of CodeX here: http://eexxiitt.blogspot.com/2012/12/...

His Compact also has a few reviews.

Roche may serve as a good reason to learn FRENCH.

message 3: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments I actually have my own copy of CodeX now so more scans or (ha ha) translations can appear as needed. It's an absurdly beautiful book. And thanks -- extremely pleased to have brought Roche to this excellent group.

message 4: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Nate D wrote: "I actually have my own copy of CodeX now so more scans or (ha ha) translations"

I'd be happy for either one. I am in fact DEMANDING one of the TWO!

message 5: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Geoff has posted some pretty pictures of this beautiful book :: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Skull=spotters will be happy!

And hey! CBR fans! Roche is the stuff! cf That Festschrift thingie! (!) [!] {!}

message 6: by Gregsamsa (new)

Gregsamsa | 94 comments Nathan wrote: "Roche may serve as a good reason to learn FRENCH."

Truly, as if there weren't already enuff among those Tel Quel scenesters. Damn does this look scrumptious.

message 7: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments Yeah I should really get around to reading some Sollers as well, for that matter. And any of the others we can hunt down.

I finally went and cleaned up the Maurice Roche GR page. No more "Megaevents and Modernity" or other social science.

message 8: by Zadignose (new)

Zadignose | 153 comments So, we have a skull doodle? Well, I'll be jiggered! Abstract has become more stract in mine eyes.

message 9: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Zadignose wrote: "So, we have a skull doodle? Well, I'll be jiggered! Abstract has become more stract in mine eyes."

Thanks to Nate D's Early unEarthing.

Gregsamsa wrote: "Truly, as if there weren't already enuff among those Tel Quel scenesters. Damn does this look scrumptious. "

And his Compact was written in 1955, some ten-ish years before Tel Quel. Meanwhile, I'm way behind on my Sollers and Cixous.

message 10: by MJ (new)

MJ Nicholls (mjnicholls) | 209 comments In an ideal world, Compact would be in my possession and all his work would be in English trans. Alas, alacrity.

message 11: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments I know Compact was begun in the 50s, but finished then as well? It wasn't published until 1966.

message 12: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 985 comments Nate D wrote: "I know Compact was begun in the 50s, but finished then as well? It wasn't published until 1966."

Straight from the Polizzotti's Intro is all I've got.

message 13: by Nate D (new)

Nate D (rockhyrax) | 354 comments Well, he was definitely way ahead of the curve so I guess that would check.