Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Occult Detective/Monster hunter§

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

George Cotronis | 9 comments I'm looking for some books or series of books that feature monster hunters/ occult detectives / exorcists and that kind of thing.
Basically the TV show Supernatural in book form.

I know there are a few Supernatural novels, but they're terrible. I've read most of Hellblazer. I'm not interested in Dresden Files. Anything else goes!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Monster Hunter International (MHI, #1) by Larry Correia

This is a fun series.

George Cotronis | 9 comments Wow thanks a bunch guys.
I got a couple of these and I'll report back once I've read some of them.

message 5: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Traci L. wrote: "Monster Hunter International (MHI, #1) by Larry Correia

This is a fun series."

I second that, great series!

message 6: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 43 comments Can I suggest my own military vs monsters series?

message 7: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6474 comments The Devil You Know by Mike Carey...the Felix Castor series is fantastic.

Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green...The Nightside series...another great series.

message 8: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) Can I put my hand up here?

My Midnight Eye Files books would be right up your street I think. Or my Carnacki book that Jon so kindly recced above.

message 9: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I'll happily second The Midnight Eye Files books.
Excellent stuff from a reliable author. ;)

message 10: by Katlynn (new)

Katlynn Gambling (kgambling) | 4 comments Glen Cook had a whole series of Garrett PI novels which are sort of Columbo meets Terry Pratchett. Someone put together a list of them:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/49491...

The only thing I've read recently that might fit would be
A Game of Blood but I don;t think it is a series just a stand alone.

message 11: by Katlynn (new)

Katlynn Gambling (kgambling) | 4 comments And how do some of you get the image to show up for the book?

message 12: by C.E. (last edited Mar 15, 2013 11:40AM) (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 43 comments Katlynn, there's a "add book/author" in the top center of the box you type your reply in, to the right of COMMENT

Click that and then you search for the book, then choose to insert book cover instead of just book, and it creates the hyperlink in the box (where your cursor was) and the cover graphic

like so:

Legacy Forgotten Son (Book 1) by Warren Murphy

(Note it types it in brackets, like {bookcover:Legacy: Forgotten Son|16702272} but with a different bracket symbol

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 215 comments There is also a list for paranormal investigations:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/43...

message 15: by George Cotronis (new)

George Cotronis | 9 comments So much Jim Butcher...whyyy.

message 16: by Katlynn (new)

Katlynn Gambling (kgambling) | 4 comments C.e. wrote: "Katlynn, there's a "add book/author" in the top center of the box you type your reply in, to the right of COMMENT

Click that and then you search for the book, then choose to insert book cover inst..."

Thank you! Now I see it clear as day. If it had been a snake it would have bit me.

message 17: by Teawench (new)

message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian Rogers (onemoreshadow) Mike Carey's Feilx Castor books are some of the best. Mike actually wrote the introduction to my own collection of supernatural detective stories, SuperNOIRtural Tales.

SuperNOIRtural Tales by Ian Rogers

The first novella in the collection, "Temporary Monsters," is available as a free eBook, as well. You can download it at TheBlackLands.com.

message 20: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 535 comments you Might want to try the "Black Wings" series by Christina Henry. Book One is called Black Wings. It centers around an agency that employs people that inherit the job title of agent of Death from parents. Madeline Black is one of them. When notified by the agency, agents have to go at preordained times and places to encounter the souls of the dead as they rise from their bodies and offer them what's behind the door or stay on earth forever as a ghost.
The idea of this series is that Madeline Black finds out that Lord Azalea of Lucifer's Court is really her father and must take her place in Hell, she also finds out that Lucifer himself is her great grandfather. The first book is her breaking away and assembling a team of unlikely characters that she meets as they stay at her house and try to help her overcome occult and horrors set upon her by different monsters and courts. The fifth book has just been released. Its a great storyline and read with great characters. Each novel is almost like the chapter in a much bigger novel.

http://www.goodreads.com/series/52531...

message 21: by Jayne (new)

Jayne | 2 comments Laurell K Hamilton's the Anita Blake series. It's great!

message 22: by George Cotronis (new)

George Cotronis | 9 comments I'm not supporting Hamilton out of principle.

message 24: by Dan (new)

Dan (TheGreatBeast) If you're up for something really oddball, but fun, disturbing and even moving at times, check out John Dies At The End by David Wong. A tale of two slackers who accidentally take a drug that lets them see inter-dimensional beings.

message 25: by Ian (new)

Ian Rogers (onemoreshadow) I'm reading JDATE right now and absolutely loving it. Doing comedy genre work can be very difficult. It's hard to be funny but not goofy-stupid. Wong accomplished this balancing act, while providing a story that is actually quite frightening at times. I've already picked up the follow-up, This Book Is Full of Spiders. Another great title.

message 26: by Carly (new)

Carly Nicholas (zombie_girl) | 175 comments The exorcist books by William Peter Blatty and the the Dresden files series by jim Butcher. I like similar books myself, so it's hard to find a series that i'll like.

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil Wolf | 134 comments The books based on the Carl Kolchak are supposed to be quite good. I read the first one by Jeff Rice and liked it.

phil

message 28: by Karl (new)

Karl Øen | 8 comments Randall Garrett's 'Lord Darcy'-series. The series is set in present time in an alternative universe, where magic works and Lord Darcy is employed as a investigator in service of the anglo-french Royal House of the Plantagenets. Not many monsters, though...Trying to spot other litterary detectives, making 'cameos', adds to the fun.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Not in the least to my HPL purist tastes but how about Brian Lumley's Titus Crow series?

http://www.brianlumley.com/books/cthu...

message 30: by V.W. (last edited May 30, 2014 01:31PM) (new)

V.W. Singer The Rivers of London Series by Ben Aaronovitch
Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch

or

Vampire-Tech
Vampire-Tech by Bryan Romer

(Note: This is one of my books under a different pen name)

message 31: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
V.W. wrote: "The Rivers of London Series by Ben Aaronovitch
Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch

or

Vampire-Tech
Vampire-Tech by Bryan Romer

(Note: This is one of my books under a different pen name)"

Note: I wrote this.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert Garland (rdgarland) | 3 comments It may be lighter than what you're looking for, but I love the "Monster Hunter International" series. They are some of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a while.