The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > Why Do You Enjoy YA Dystopia?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jack (last edited Mar 10, 2013 10:33AM) (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Why do you enjoy reading YA dystopian novels?

message 2: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 434 comments Mod
For me it's a mix of a few things.

The first is that reading about extreme worlds really makes me feel better about how ours is. But also, at the same time, it shows us all the things that are wrong with our society. I guess it just helps me be more aware about what's going on and why, and what might happen if things get out of hand.

Secondly, I love the hope that most of the main characters in YA Dystopia books have. In adult dystopian novels the characters tend to give up and just put up with everything that's wrong with their world, but the YA main characters are always so hopeful and believe everything can and will change. They go out of their way to make a difference, and often succeed, though sometimes at a high cost. I love their determination and how it shows us that we can all make a difference.

Also, though, it's just fun and interesting to read about. It's great seeing how different authors imagine our future, and finiding out how it happened. :)

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments Lilac wrote: "For me it's a mix of a few things.

The first is that reading about extreme worlds really makes me feel better about how ours is. But also, at the same time, it shows us all the things that are wr..."

I completely agree Lilac.

message 4: by Madea (new)

Madea (mlbo) I like to see how other cultures and societies live/would live under different circumstances. After each book i reflect on my own live, out society, government, and imagine how i would live 'in' that book. Sometimes it's a little too 'real' to see how close we are to some events becoming true in our future! But mostly it's just a fun escape... a movie in my own head!

message 5: by Destany (new)

Destany | 8 comments I like it as an escape just to get out if the real world for a while and be someone else somewhere else

message 6: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments I think he creativity in dystopian worlds is fascinating! Also, I love how high energy they usually are and there is usually a lot of passion and emotion in the characters which I love. I think the most frightening dystopian books are ones you can parallel to our own culture though. I agree 100% with Madea.

chucklesthescot I like to read about all the possible futures that this planet could have-and the possibilities are endless! An ecological disaster turns ordinary people into survivors: Life As We Knew It, an unexpected war turns teens into soldiers: Tomorrow When the War Began, a zombie apocalypse, a flu plague, evil regimes, harsh lives...very exciting to read!

message 8: by Trista (new)

Trista (islandgeekgirl) | 28 comments I love reading about different worlds, the world-building, society's downfall, all those things really fascinate me. Plus there's typically a lot of action, strategizing, a big epic finale, and an emotional rollercoaster.

message 9: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Lilac was pretty much spot on. And i just love knowing that that world is my own. Unless a film comes out, none of us are going to imagine the same thing.

message 10: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I just think that the whole new society ideas are really interesting. Every dystopian book has some cool system or way of life that is completely unique but not too crazy- like factions, hunger games, mazes/diseases, a big choice at a certain age, Noise, etc.

message 11: by Elif (new)

Elif (angelus_mortis) | 7 comments A lot of people had their utopias in history. Actually people have their own utopias in their minds too, even my father. But I think dystopias are more realistic. People can never have a common utopia. Every utopia is a dystopia for some people. There will be never an utopia, but there will be always a dystopia.
And YA is like a part of my life. I experienced some of those emotions and thoughts myself, so there is always something from me in a YA book.

PS: Sorry for my pure English. I'm not good at writing.

message 12: by Riya (last edited Jun 30, 2013 12:52PM) (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I like your ideas Elif- I've never really heard people talk about utopias in comparison to dystopias. I love how you said every utopia is a dystopia for some people. That's so true, but I never even thought of it before!!

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 78 comments I read YA dystopia for a simple reason. Its the youth protagonists that give me hope.

Of course I'm down for a hopeless YA dystopia.

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin Waterman | 2 comments YA dystopia books are so often reflections of problems we see only glimpses of in our real lives. What better purpose of a book than to reveal to us the dangers and promises of different aspects of our lives? The books serve as both warnings and inspirations. If every person on the planet read these books, I think the human race would be that much more enlightened.

message 15: by Dusty (new)

Dusty Crabtree (dustycrabtree) | 9 comments Good call, Robin! I teach freshman English, and my favorite thing I teach is Fahrenheit 451, mostly for that very reason. I think dystopian novels have a great purpose of giving us a slap in the face when we need to wake up and take a look around us.

Also, Sarah, I agree - ya dystopian protagonists can be some of the most hope-inspiring characters! Like Katniss, obviously. :)

message 16: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

That's a good quote, and entirely true.

message 17: by Dusty (new)

Dusty Crabtree (dustycrabtree) | 9 comments Very true, Jenny! It does in essence encompass a lot of genres, doesn't it? Something for everyone, while making people think! Totally agree with you about Divergent! Loved it!!!

message 18: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Yep Jenny, that's completely true. It seems like it is just the perfect genre for me at the moment.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoy dystopian because it shows how evil a government can get and how we can and SHOULD solve our country's problems before it gets as bad as in the dystopian books.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Still | 6 comments My love of YA dystopia started in maybe 8th grade when I read Enders Game. That book sucked me in and made me feel a part. Then I read 1984 and was hooked. Those two books sparked a conspiracy theorist inside me and I've been hooked since. I LOVED the Giver too. So for years I've promoted YA dystopia books to anyone who reads! = )

message 21: by Kayla (new)

Kayla De Leon (kayladeleon) Elizabeth, 1984 was one of the best dystopias I've ever read! That last part about torture and the rats scared the heck out of me.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my goodness, 1984 was such a great dystopian book!!

message 23: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments It really was! The ending though..

message 24: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments ELIZABETH YOU ARE AWESOME- ENDERS GAME :D :D :D

message 25: by KingKiller (last edited Jul 19, 2013 06:48AM) (new)

KingKiller (thekingkiller) | 1 comments There's no specific reason really that I can think of but I always end up going back to it once I get a bit bored of fantasy/crime/thriller books, which are my favourite genres. They rarely tend to be very long and are just a bit of a an easy read for me compared to long fantasy epics. Though it has got to the point where I read it less because it feels like I've exhausted the best YA dystopia and I'm also getting bored of reading from a female POV when it comes to YA. The genre is becoming a bit too generic, female POV, some love triangle etc etc. But I can't hate on the genre as it introduced me to two of my favourite series in The Chaos Walking trilogy and The Gone series, both really enjoyable

message 26: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Verdant wrote: "Don't support Card, so I don't read/watch Ender's Game. His opinions aint fair to people.

But now, on topic: I enjoy it cos I think it could be real. Who's to say that we wont have some crazy Snow..."

Hey Verdant- it made me laugh that you said you wouldn't support Card because of his views since I just had a discussion about that under the Ender's Game movie topic. You should definitely look at it.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

The Giver and Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry got me addicted to dystopias. I love the challenge and the darkness of the worlds.

message 28: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I know what you mean, but you can't just stop respecting someone's job because of their political views. I don't really support his opinions either, but not reading his books because of his views on homosexuals is similar to not reading one's books because of their views on religion- and I personally am very picky about bringing religion into anything outside of religion itself.

message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments So many more reasons then i can explain. Like just what goes on and then like how the people feel about you. The lengths that some people go to change things. That's all really

message 30: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Amber wrote: "So many more reasons then i can explain. Like just what goes on and then like how the people feel about you. The lengths that some people go to change things. That's all really"

OOO I like that :D

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments @Riya
thank you i wish i was to explain better why im in love with these kinds of books its really hard to put my love into words though

by the way in tell this morning my profile picture was the same as yours ^_^

message 32: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Haha nice taste in pictures :P Anyways, I know what you mean- I can barely express why I like the books so I have no idea how authors can actually write them!! I really like how you said: The lengths that some people go to change things. Like honestly, I think that is what makes me fall in love with my favorite characters. Especially the ones from the Book Thief (even though it isn't Dystopian!)

message 33: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments well yeah the characters do go to huge lengths, you can relate to them and see there struggles but they step up and handle it. They are amazing, they are who i can never be i wish i was like some of the characters i read about! My life would be amazing XD even though i have never been put into a situation to have to step up and take control but i doubt i could do it you know >.< Anyways its just kinda something like that if you can understand that

message 34: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I know, I honestly just love seeing people's passions. And so when characters get super passionate and I can read an entire book about them following their passion I can't help but fall in love with them. It's just fantastic being able to see characters who will go so far for what they believe in. I wish they would all be real :)

message 35: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments Another thing i really love about Dystopian books is that most of the time someone is out there trying to picture a perfect world. Then you have a people trying to stop there work. Like have you read Shatter Me or the Possession series? Or even Unwind or Divergent?

message 36: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I read Unwind and Divergent and I'll be starting Shatter Me soon. Honestly, everyone is just striving for the impossible idea of a utopia and the main characters are the ones who see how this won't happen so they protest it.

message 37: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments I know but in Unwind for example you see what good it does to Unwind kids and the people of that idea are just trying to make the world a better place even though it is one screwed up idea. Then in Divergent the second book really you see why there all there in the fractions. Though i have to say Erudite idea to split everything up is a horrible one

message 38: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I read Insurgent, but of course preferred Divergent :)

Yeah, the government in the Dystopian socities are all trying to improve the world- it's just not always very helpful. Unwind essentially was a more extreme version of this :)

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments @RIya
yes exactly haha XD i can't wait to see how both end, so can't wait for the last books coming out!!

@Amelia
Im wondering about that book too. I mean seriously can't wait to see how it all ends i hope it ends well some books (Like the hunger games) the last book is very sad and not well done i hope the Divergent Series has a great ending.

message 40: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments @Amber
TOTALLY

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 78 comments I have as many reasons I don't like modern (Post 2000) dystopia, I just thought I'd mention what I do like.

message 42: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I completely agree with your post Oz (especially about testing the characters), except for one thing. Mockingjay was FAR from awesome. It was quite bad :P

message 43: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments @Oz and Riya
Mockingjay was rushed together! Katniss sat around in closets for weeks! It was really quite sad. It seems like she only ended up with Peeta cause everyone wanted it and she didn't wanna do anything else. Katniss barely took charge in the book. Besides that the whole book was a mess it was like the author just threw everything together to be done with the books. I felt it kinda sloppy and hard to read. I hated it for an ending to a series! But its just my opinion

message 44: by Riya (new)

Exactly!!! She had lost her really tough heroine features and instead became weaker and whinier. And throughout the first two books she was very unsure about Gale vs Peeta, but in this book she's suddenly like: I LOVE Peeta...it's like come on! I agree, I expected so much from it but it was honestly terrible...

message 45: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments @Riya that's exactly what i mean that was exactly it too. Its like she finally snapped and only went after what was easier it was sad to be honest. Its like Katniss just gave up and the whole book was just sad i wish i would have never read it to be honest Dx

message 46: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments @Amber Yeah!!! I honestly loved the first books so much, but if the first one had been anything like the third one I know I wouldn't have bothered continuing the series. Katniss had gone from being one of my favorite heroines to a weak girl from like a lame romantic book!! And I didn't find it action-y enough or anything. I found myself completely bored throughout the whole thing. And then Gale got the worst ending ever :(

message 47: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments @Riya
it really makes you wonder what the author was thinking
and yah your right if the first book would have been so bad no one would have read on to be honest. But since it was the last book and people thought the other two were great i think they just pretend the last one was too i don't know i just know i hated it

message 48: by Riya (new)

Yeah, I really wonder why she wrote it like that. I hope Allegiant isn't like the same thing- you know really downhill. I know, it was so annoying that I went to specially buy the last one and it was just BAD. And then some people actually say they liked it?!?! It's like obviously you must not have liked the first two then because they were complete opposites!

message 49: by Amber (new)

Amber Myers | 21 comments If Allegiant is just really bad i'm seriously going to cry and hate the world the first two are such good books they can't be ruined. But then again hunger games was good tell the last book! Lets really hope for the best

message 50: by Olivia Tate (new)

Olivia Tate I like them because you never know how you'll react on a situation until your places in it, and even though I'll probably never be in the hunger games or live in a world with no air it's interesting to read about how people react in the new settings.

« previous 1