Rockism 101 discussion

open your Rock Bag > old rock stars

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (last edited Mar 10, 2013 10:02AM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments I can hardly think of any of the iconic Rock stars that originated in the 60s who recorded anything even halfway decent past 1983ish.

I heard David Bowie's last offering call 'THe Stars come out' (or something lke that this morning on a local "Progressive Rock" station. Most decent sized markets now seem to have one of the these stations that play 'Progressive Rock' (not to be confused with Prog Rock - Progressive Rock stations play a mix of New Wave music/alternative music from the 70s to 90s with a bit of new stuff thrown in as well from artists like Coldplay and Radiohead and Wilco, etc.)

Anyway, this Bowie sng was utter shit, like most everything I've heard by him since about 1983. And it got me to thinking, why in the world would he promote this crap? Earlier in the morning I had seen TWO tv commercials for his latest album during the CBS Sunday morning program (don't ask me why I was watching that). Does he really need money? Is it an ego thing? Does he really think this shit is good?!? Is he wanting to go on tour, so he's trying to gin up some excitement for the tour?

I have no problem with the Rock old timers trying to write music, but I have no idea WHY they are promoting it - especially when most of it is such shit. If Bowie goes on tour NO ONE is going to buy $150 ticket so here 'the stars are out tonight' or whatever that fuckin song is called.

Old Rock Star's musical offerings post 1983: CLASSIC or DUD?

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 88 comments Well... if you are making '83 the cut-off... sorry but Labyrinth came out in 1986... and it's one of my fav films. I'll admit, I'm not overly jazzed by his new song, at all.
And despite being a fan, I could never afford $150 to see him live. Not going to literally take food out of my kids mouth's even for him.

As for others... I know Aerosmith was originally 1970, not the 60's, but that have done tons of good stuff since 1983.

And although not a huge traditional 'rock star' George Clinton (with Parliament, Funkadelic, and P-Funk) started as a songwriter in Motown in the 60's, and didn't even really hit his hayday until the 80's and beyond

message 3: by Ed (last edited Mar 10, 2013 07:28PM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments There are some rare exceptions to the 1983 cut-off, but I wouldn't include any of the examples you gave as one of those exceptions - partly for the reasons you already stated and partly for reasons of my own.

One exception I would make would be Neil Young. He had a song called 'bandit' on his 2003 Greendale album that was as good of a tune and lyric as most anything he had done in the 60s or 70s.

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "I know Aerosmith was originally 1970, not the 60's, but that have done tons of good stuff since 1983."

Christ... Name three songs.

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Although the Stooges can still apparently bring the noise live, their reunion album, 2007's "The Weirdness" tastes like acid reflux and sounds like a bad Iggy Pop solo album.

The first sign these aren’t your brother’s Stooges are the plugs for their myspace.com web site and ringtones on the back wrapper, bringing to mind images I just can’t seem to wrap my already shattered mind around: Brianna and Courtney’s cell phones parping out “Idea of Fun” while they swap links for photos of that hottie Jimmy Osterberg, sipping an energy drink and rocking the Fall Out Boy on the iPod. Someone shoot me now…

message 6: by Ed (last edited Mar 11, 2013 12:09PM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments Dr. D, do you agree with my 1983 cut-of date for 60s-era Rock stars? Your tastes seem to overlap mine in some areas...

What 60s-era rock stars do you appreciate?

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 88 comments OK- My husband came up with TWO:

Pink Floyd

and

Michael Jackson

message 8: by Ed (last edited Mar 11, 2013 04:13PM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments Michael Jackson? Really? Is your husband a 12 year old girl living in the 1980s?
lol
- sorry, I couldn't help myself...

And Pink Floyd has pretty much totally blown since way before 1983.
I'm feeling snarky today - don't take it personal...
;)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 88 comments My husband is ready to fight...

"Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason, both awesome albums, both after 1983."

and regardless of your thoughts on Michael Jackson, how creepy he is, etc... the man(?) pumped out gold and platinum records, ... one of the top selling artists in the entire world despite his unique (?) lifestyle.

I guess billions of people are wrong, because a few snarky people can't accept Michael Jackson as having been successful.

My husband WILL fight to the death over Pink Floyd... just sayin'

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 88 comments and BTW... he's the same age as you, Ed.

message 11: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit Ed Wagemann wrote: "Dr. D, do you agree with my 1983 cut-of date for 60s-era Rock stars? Your tastes seem to overlap mine in some areas...

What 60s-era rock stars do you appreciate?"

I agree but to be honest with you, I'm hopeleslly out of the loop when it comes to music. I gave up the ghost along about the time the whole grunge thing came down.

But some of my 60's favorites include:

Rolling Stones
The Kinks
The Who
The Move
The Stooges
MC5
Credence Clearwater Revival
Small Faces
Pink Floyd
The Yardbirds
The Velvet Underground
Motown

message 12: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments I was wondering if you liked Motown - since it came from Detroit...

There was a lot of total crap passing as Rock music in the mid to late 80s. I think that is why grunge seemed better than it actually was - although grunge is tolerable to me. I got into Indie music in the 90s, but I've lost a lot of interest since the trn of the century...

message 13: by Ed (last edited Mar 12, 2013 01:07PM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "My husband is ready to fight...

"Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason, both awesome albums, both after 1983."

and regardless of your thoughts on Michael Jackson, how creepy he is, etc... t..."

Tell your husband I'm a lover not a fighter. I like 70s Pink Floyd and the Syd Barret stuff from the 60s is among some of the most interesting music I've ever heard. But I'll never get into their 80s and beyond stuff.

I just thought of a Deep Purple song I liked from the mid 80s...

I have nothing against Michael Jackson's eccentric personal life. I just think his music sucked. "Beat it"? That song blows. So does 'Thriller' 'Billie Jean' is okay, but way too overplayed - especially on Mtv during the 80s. Michael Jackson and his Thriller album symbolizes the downfall of Mtv in my view.
There was this big push to get black artists on Mtv after Rick James (I think) made a stink about getting shut out from Mtv with 'Super Freak'. So I think Mtv tried to promote MJ as a way of showing they weren't racist...
Music shouldnt be politicized like that imo. That's the worse reason for a station to play a song...
And I've never really been a big fan of watching guys dance either...

...now his sister Janet, I could watch her dance all day long (even though her music blows also)!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 88 comments Most of my musical background was from 60's-90's.

I wasn't born in the 60's, but my parents had a huge vinyl collection that I could borrow anything from The Beatles to Alice Cooper to Phil Collins... there was even an old Australian- "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" ... my parents were very "Big Chill Soundtrack" with maybe some Tracy Chapman thrown in.
My sister, on the other hand, was 80's: Duran, Duran, Eurythmics, Adam Ant, Dead Kennedys, Prince.

Then I started branching out myself into Pop, and in the 90's finally some grunge... until finally in college I had a show on a micro-radio station and basically played Dr Demento, anything funny or wierd... it was a blast.

Now I'm too broke and tied at home with the kids to go out to shows and such.

My very first record ever was The Muppet Show Album

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments I was always a fan of Dr. Demento.
Our music listening experiences kind of mirror one anothers. My parents had a huge vinyl collection that sounds pretty similar to your parents collection.
I DJ'ed in college at our radio station and was thinking about becoming a DJ...

I should start a thread that asks everyone what their first record was...

message 16: by April (new)

April (apriltara) | 2 comments Alana ~ The Book Pimp wrote: "My husband is ready to fight...

and regardless of your thoughts on Michael Jackson, how creepy he is, etc... t..."

I'm going to agree with your husband. Pink Floyd has NEVER blown anything. Well, maybe some of their early psychedelic stuff...

I saw them on the Pulse tour when Division Bell came out. It was 1994. To this day, I haven't seen ANY band come anywhere near them, not even bands young enough to be David Gilmour's illegitimate children.

message 17: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Mar 13, 2013 05:25AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit I gotta admit that Pink Floyd lost me with "The Wall." If I never hear that children's chorus singing, "We don't need no education" ever again, I'm just fine with that. Give me any of the early psychedelic stuff over anything post "Animals."

I only saw them once, on March 5, 1973 at Cobo Hall in Detroit (I still have the ticket stub somewhere around here), "Dark Side of the Moon" tour. Yes, I'm old...

message 18: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (edwagemann) | 992 comments Yeah, that children's chorus on the wall is very gag-worthy...
I hate choruses in rock songs in general anyway. THe Stones used one that I hate on You can't always get what you want...
I think U2 used a gospel chorus on some Joshua Tree song that really sucked...