Kashmir discussion

Kashmir Shaivism > Origins of Kundalini: the Lost Chakra Scroll of Kashmir Check Also Photo on slide 4

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rakesh (last edited Mar 18, 2013 08:32PM) (new)

Rakesh Kaul (rakeshkkaul) | 50 comments Mod
Origins of Kundalini: the Lost Chakra Scroll of Kashmir

Christopher Tompkins video below is the perfect gift post Shivaratri. Do visit and support his valuable work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxLDVy...

Check photo on slide 4 of photos to see the power and the beauty. Save photo on your computer and expand lotus to see the gift that awaits you!!!!

*Experience Kundalinī as you never have before through this amazing visual journey into the subtle body as presented in this beautiful scroll, which describes and depicts an elaborate and visually stunning system of 11 chakras previously unknown to us.

*Featuring select translations which celebrate the original role of Kundalinī as a liberating mantric power that is generated in the navel chakra at the culminating moment of daily Tantrik (Shaiva) Yoga practice.

* This system pre-dates our current (published) sources for Kundalinī and the chakra system. Written in the Kashmir script of Sanskrit, called Sharada ('Autumn'), I recently uncovered this forgotten scroll within a folder of scanned manuscripts acquired in Kashmir last year that I never looked at before....

Here is the summary which he provides

Published on Mar 3, 2013
This fascinating scroll depicts a beautiful, elaborate 11-Chakra System with a description of each, written in the Kashmir script of Sanskrit, called Shāradā ('Autumn'). I uncovered it this week within a folder of scanned manuscripts that I never looked at before.

* The verses in the top 2 sections venerate the 11th and highest chakra of this system, describing it as having 1,000 yellow-ish petals, from which the central channel (sushumnā) descends.

Here are some preliminary details drawn from my translations of these 2 sections--

OṂ Śrī Paramātmane Paramaśivāya namaḥ ||
"OM! We give honor to that Highest Divinity ('Shiva'), who is the Highest Self!" (very top left line on the scroll)

* Tthe name given for the Highest Goddess of this 11-Chakra system is the 'Power of Universal Consciousness' (Chaitanya-Shakti):
"The Goddess [here] is the embodiment of radiance equal to a million sun-beams..." (pīta-varṇam sūryakoṭi-praṭikāśaṃ tejesvinī).

* Kundalinī ('Coiled Power') can be seen uncoiling as the personification of pure mantric power from the base of the rather wavy (!) sushumnā (central channel), as she begins her 'sonic ascent upward' (ucchāra) through that channel to the crown (11th) chakra.

* The identity of the Goddess ('Power of Universal Consciousness') depicted in the first and final images is uncertain as of yet; she appears to me to be a hybrid of Lalitā and Lakshmī. This plus the fact that Shiva is venerated would technically suggest that this scroll belongs to the latest Tantrik lineage, that of Tripurā (Shrīvidyā); but the Goddess wears a vertical tilaka (forehead) insignia, which is specifically Vaishnava (related to Vishnu, instead of Shiva), which we never see for Tripurā (aka Lalitā), despite the fact that she has subsumed Lakshmi, Vishnu's consort, in that lineage....more soon!

More soon!

-Christopher Tompkins, www.shaivayoga.com

message 2: by Ravindra (new)

Ravindra (arrk00) | 4 comments Hi Chris;
About few months back I came across an Upnishad that is part of the Taitriya Shakaha of Krishna Yajurveda, and is called "Yoga Kundalini Upnishad. The Krishna Yajur Veda is clearly earlier than Tantras. If what I have found is correct then Kundalini notion must be much prior to later Tantra texts.
Thanks
Ravindra

message 3: by Ravindra (new)

Ravindra (arrk00) | 4 comments This is quite intriguing as to what the additional 4 chakaras are? I could not read Shaaradaa, is there I can find the Shaaradaa VarNamaalaa and its DevNaagari counterparts?
Excellent work.
Ravindra

message 4: by Rakesh (new)

Dear Ravindra

I believe that the Sharada font and its DevNaagari counterpart are available on Google but Chris may have a easier version. I agree with you that this is very intriguing. The detailed material both diagrammatic and written should provide all kinds of revealing information

message 5: by Amitavolis (new)

Amitavolis | 3 comments This scroll is a true revelation, perhaps even more important than the long obsessed over dead sea scrolls. It is vital that it be translated and made accessible so this gift to humanity can be actually shared. Kashmiri culture and its power has been in hiding long enough, time is now, the shakti is ready to rise again

message 6: by Amitavolis (new)

Amitavolis | 3 comments This scroll is a true revelation, perhaps even more important than the long obsessed over dead sea scrolls. It is vital that it be translated and made accessible so this gift to humanity can be actually shared. Kashmiri culture and its power has been in hiding long enough, time is now, the shakti is ready to rise again

message 7: by Rakesh (new)

Dear Chris
We are all students and seekers here who are collaboratively learning from each other. We are all excited about what you have posted. In that spirit Professor BVK Shastry asked the following to be posted

Namaste

1. Kundalini concept is available in Vedic resources.

It is a practice guidance. It is more than looking for one specific

Word in a given text and working on antiquity - posterity deliberation.

2. The six chakra model is a sky view picture

With a certain resolution for the beginner.

The advanced / advancing practitioner does

Deliberate on close zooming on specific layers

And practice phases when there appears to be

More chakras.

These are like work steps in between the hypothesis and the proof of a

Mathematical statement. How (a+b) squared

Yields three separate terms as - a squared, b squared- and twice the product of a and b. good to know the intermediary phases; equally critical is the knowledge of the intermediary working steps and regulating rules.

There are works which talk if fourteen chakras from head to toe; there are works which talk of eight chakras . These are working steps based difference in teaching traditions.

Regards

BVK Sastry

message 8: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Tompkins | 2 comments Dear Ravindra, thanks for your comment. There are Upanishads claiming to belong to one of the 4 Vedic 'Collections' (Samhitas) of hymns which can be dated all the way up to the 19th century. The Yoga Upanishads, a collection of quasi-hatha yoga works to which the 'Kundalinī Upanishad' belongs, demonstrate a dependency on 13th century hatha yoga manuals, from which it directly co-opts material....if you like I can send references to verify this when I get a chance (currently I am on the road).

Best Wishes, Chris.

Rakesh wrote: "Origins of Kundalini: the Lost Chakra Scroll of Kashmir

Christopher Tompkins video below is the perfect gift post Shivaratri. Do visit and support his valuable work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?..."

Rakesh wrote: "Origins of Kundalini: the Lost Chakra Scroll of Kashmir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?..."

message 9: by Vinod (new)

Vinod Razdan | 1 comments Ravindra wrote: "This is quite intriguing as to what the additional 4 chakaras are? I could not read Shaaradaa, is there I can find the Shaaradaa VarNamaalaa and its DevNaagari counterparts?
Excellent work.
Ravindra"

I have an explanation for 11 circles : in fact they are nine only based on Nav-ar'n philosophy .There is a Kashmiri word " Valunn ' which means to enclose or wrap.There is a word " Tri-valay " which means to wrap in three circles and this we denote it in one circle only and some where they are three , thus, making two more additional circles.In Durga Shaptsati , we have mention of Nav-ar'n.

message 10: by Rakesh (new)

Vinod ji excellent observation