Political Pages discussion

The Mitt Romney Novel

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hill | 14 comments Mod
So, what real-life political event of the last year do you think would make the best novel? Maybe Rand Paul's filibuster. It could be titled "The Call of Nature," since that seems to be what ended it. (In my novel, The Chinese Banker, (http://amzn.to/Mofoi8) I have a scene where an old senator launches a filibuster, but he had the foresight to wear a Depends.)

No, I think the most interesting event of the last year for a novel would be one of Mitt Romney's quest. Think about it: A man who has lived a life full of success, yet the one thing he wants most of all, he can't obtain, in part because he keeps sticking his foot in his mouth. What must have been going on in that mind. That could be one interesting protagonist.

So, again, what has happened in our world that would make the next great political novel?
Dustin Hill
author of
The Chinese Banker

message 2: by Robert (last edited Mar 12, 2013 10:21PM) (new)

Robert Zwilling | 29 comments You could make a soap opera, call it nits life.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 29 comments Manufacturing event that will impact everything including politics is the rise of 3 dimensional printers. The machines started out 40 years ago as computer controlled industrial grade scissors that shaped metal parts. Now they are handling all kinds of non metal materials.

These printers will become the new factories in every country eliminating the international shipping cost of time and money. Set up the right way they could be used as training centers to employ people at low wages to start out operating/maintaining the printers and if they wanted to, advancing to the computer side of the operations where they could learn any number of new jobs that involved computers in some fashion. This will most likely not happen in bigger countries eager to make things as cheaply as possible

The original dream involved intelligent robots working assembly lines. The smarter the robot, the bigger, clumsier, harder to maintain and more expensive they are. The 3-D printers are cheap and brainless, easy to fix. This could ultimately change the balance of import/export payments for a lot of countries and bring back local manufacturing.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 29 comments If you were fast enough on the keyboard and the "chemical" attacks continue in Syria, you might have an intriguing novel about what goes on behind the scenes to stop a larger conflict from developing when the west takes military action against the Syrian govt and its bigger allies come to its rescue.

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Garside I'd say the John Edwards story. Hands down. I've been waiting for the movie for years.