Into the Forest discussion

Film/TV /Radio Adaptations > New Spanish Snow White Re-telling

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (last edited Mar 10, 2013 02:38PM) (new)

Jalilah | 4282 comments Mod
There is a new Spanish film out that is supposedly a Snow White re-telling. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1854513/

It was nominated in 2012 for best foreign film. I am very excited about it as I love a lot of Spanish films. One of my favourite directors is Pedro Almodovar.

message 2: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Oh! That does look interesting!

message 3: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments I just saw that trailer, and it does seem intriguing! I loved the music.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1387 comments Mod
There is an article about this film in this week's New York Times.

message 5: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Thanks, Chris. I am even more interested now.

message 6: by Jalilah (new)

There was one art house cinema that played it for a week but I've missed it :(! I'll have to wait for it to come on DVD.
Chris was the NYT article favorable?

message 7: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments I went to see this last night. And wrote up my review. There are spoilers but you have to click to read that portion so safe to look at the rest. :)

My Short Movie Review of BLANCANIEVES

message 8: by Jalilah (new)

Good review Shereen. I will still see the movie, but take what you say in the review into consideration. It is true, when one thinks of Fairy Tales one automatically think happy ending.

message 9: by Shereen (last edited Sep 23, 2013 03:37PM) (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments Good, you should see it. All the good things I said about this film are quite true. I didn't make any of that up to balance out the rest. The Spanish pageantry was also excellent.

And actually, fairy tales don't always have happy endings. In that case I'd have been happy to be told this is a dark, film-noir type fairy tale that will make you go "ick!" at the end, because expectations are important.

Like having a pretty cover with a description saying this is a fine adventure and so you buy it and discover you've downloaded something entirely inappropriate into your ereader, never mind into your brain. :)

I'd even go so far as to say, I really enjoyed the film all the way up to the last 15 minutes of it.

I would still give it the same rating because of that ending. :^)

message 10: by Jalilah (last edited Sep 23, 2013 05:17PM) (new)

Shereen wrote: "Good, you should see it. All the good things I said about this film are quite true. I didn't make any of that up to balance out the rest. The Spanish pageantry was also excellent.

And actually, fa..."

Very true that Fairy Tales don't always have happy endings! Just think of
Hans Christian Andersen I should have specified, I meant Snow White! Now that I think about it, many European films don't have happy endings. I remember I was somewhat taken back by the ending in Pan's Labyrinth.

message 11: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 144 comments I don't think I saw Pan's labyrinth. Now I'm afraid to check it out, lol.