The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Favourites > Favourite Authors

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments What are your favourite authors?

message 2: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 434 comments Mod
1. J.K. Rowling
2. Rachel Caine
3. George Orwell
4. Charles Dickens

I don't have a number five as to be on my list of favourite author I have to have read multiple works by them (a series counts as one) and enjoyed them all.

message 3: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1040 comments JK Rowling. JRR Tolkien. Patrick Ness. Lee Child. Dean Koontz.

message 4: by Kellie (new)

Kellie Finn | 11 comments Tamora Pierce, Nora Roberts, Jodi Picoult, J.K. Rowling, and Lisa Jackson.

message 5: by Ida (new)

Ida Jansson | 10 comments 1. JK Rowling
2. Richelle Mead
3. Stephanie Meyer
4. Ally Condie
5. Anna Carey

message 6: by Corinne (new)

Corinne | 21 comments John Green is incredible.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Wasef (carolwasef) JK Rowling
C.S Lewis
Veronica Roth
Rick Riordan
Marie Lu

message 8: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments John Green and Patrick Ness. They are both amazing. I would read their shopping list if they published it!

message 9: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I'd have to go with:

Orson Scott Card, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Veronica Roth, and Markus Zusak!

I do like Patrick Ness' books, but he's not my favorite.

message 10: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments How could i forget Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! I'm ashamed. I can't wait for Allegiant! Pretty nervous about the film though.

message 11: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Lilac wrote: "1. J.K. Rowling
2. Rachel Caine
3. George Orwell
4. Charles Dickens

I don't have a number five as to be on my list of favourite author I have to have read multiple works by them (a series counts a..."

Thank God i'm not the only one that likes George Orwell. I had to do 1984 for English at school and everyone else hated it! :(

message 12: by Lilac , Moderator (last edited Jun 19, 2013 12:06PM) (new)

Daniela wrote: "Lilac wrote: "1. J.K. Rowling
2. Rachel Caine
3. George Orwell
4. Charles Dickens

I don't have a number five as to be on my list of favourite author I have to have read multiple works by them (a ..."

Really? I thought it was great! And Animal Farm just astounded me :)

message 13: by Daniela (last edited Jun 19, 2013 12:09PM) (new)

Daniela | 429 comments I agree! I really enjoyed it too, it definitely pointed me in the Dystopian direction book-wise :D And thats interesting because I was looking to read another of his books, do you recommend Animal Farm?

message 14: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Yes, definitely. It's not that much like 1984 but George Orwell does an amazing job at showing us just what happens in real life through the farm animals. It's only about 100 pages long but there's so much in those pages if you stop and think about it.

message 15: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Awesome thank you, added it to my list :)

message 16: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Daniela wrote: "How could i forget Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! I'm ashamed. I can't wait for Allegiant! Pretty nervous about the film though."

Lol- Sherlock Holmes is AWESOME!!! And same- I'm dying for Allegiant!! I don't think I will see the film though- I feel like if it's even slightly bad I will die inside!

message 17: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Daniela wrote: "I agree! I really enjoyed it too, it definitely pointed me in the Dystopian direction book-wise :D And thats interesting because I was looking to read another of his books, do you recommend Animal..."

I actually didn't like Animal Farm. I read it a few years ago for school and I thought it was really weird...not my style.

message 18: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Riya wrote: "Daniela wrote: "How could i forget Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! I'm ashamed. I can't wait for Allegiant! Pretty nervous about the film though."

Lol- Sherlock Holmes is AWESOME!!! And same- I'm dying fo..."

I know right! But i have to say, if Shailene Woodley pulls this and The Fault In Our Stars off, she will basically be my favourite person ever.

message 19: by Lilac , Moderator (new)

Daniela wrote: "if Shailene Woodley pulls this and The Fault In Our Stars off, she will basically be my favourite person ever.
"

So true. I'll be really impressed. :)

message 20: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle J.K. Rowling is one of the best authors ever! I also love Veronica Roth, Becca Fitzpatrick, Stephenie Meyer and Rick Riordan

message 21: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Rochelle wrote: "J.K. Rowling is one of the best authors ever! I also love Veronica Roth, Becca Fitzpatrick, Stephenie Meyer and Rick Riordan"

Totally!!!! Veronica Roth, JK Rowling, and Rick Riordan are all so amazing!!! What were your favorite HP and PJO books??

message 22: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle The Prisoner of Azkaban I read in a day, Deathly Hallows I read in 3 days and Order of the Phoenix I read in 8 days. Those are my fave HP books. My fave PJO books are The Lightning Thief and The Last Olympian.

message 23: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Great choices, The Last Olympian and The Lightning Thief are also my favourite PJO books!

message 24: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Rochelle wrote: "The Prisoner of Azkaban I read in a day, Deathly Hallows I read in 3 days and Order of the Phoenix I read in 8 days. Those are my fave HP books. My fave PJO books are The Lightning Thief and The La..."

Yeah!!!! Did you like the HP movies as well- the 3rd one is one of my favorites :)
I love the first and last PJO books! Have you been reading the Heroes of Olympus??

message 25: by Daniela (new)

Daniela | 429 comments Heroes of Olympus AKA the reason my Riordan books are a mixture of hardbacks and paperbacks.

message 26: by roshay (new)

roshay (sadderdaze) 1> J K Rowling
2> Anthony Horowitz
3> Veronica Roth
4> Rick Riordan
6> Suzzanne Collins
NOT in order.

message 27: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Anthony Horowitz!!! :D

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stefaniajoy) Sherwood Smith, Katherine Roberts, Tamora Pierce, Madeleine L'Engle, C.S. Lewis :)

I like the Harry Potter series a lot. But I haven't read J.K. Rowling's new book yet! I want to see how I like that. Such a different genre!

message 29: by Raevyn (last edited Jul 02, 2013 01:46PM) (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments Lois Lowry! Gary Paulsen! Gordon Korman! And Lemony Snicket...

message 30: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Series of Unfortunate Events I assume? :)

message 31: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments Yep. Only
SPOILER ALERT
watch out for the last one. Nothing's answered. Sorry to tell ya, but you don't even find out what happens to Quigley, Duncan, and Isadora!

message 32: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I read them all so you're good! There were so many unanswered questions, but I still thought it was an amazing series. The last 4 books or so were just mindblowing!

message 33: by Raevyn (last edited Jul 02, 2013 02:08PM) (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments I liked The Grim Grotto best. What was your favorite one?

And what was your favorite plot quirk? Mine was the "A word which here means...". :)

message 34: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Really- I liked either The Penultimate peril or The End. There were so many awesome plot things- I loved the dejavu example where he like reprinted the page so it was as if it was deja vu!

message 35: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments I've never read The Penultimate Peril, but I read The End, so it got spoiled anyway. :(

message 36: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Awww- I definitely recommend going back and reading it- it was definitley amazing!!!

message 37: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments I read part of it-- wasn't there something about Esme Squalor in a bikini made of lettuce?

message 38: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments Raevyn wrote: "I read part of it-- wasn't there something about Esme Squalor in a bikini made of lettuce?"

Haha I think so...don't be weirded out by that part though- it's an awesome book

message 39: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments I loved that part! I can't wait to read the rest.

message 40: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I know right- Lemony Snicket is HILARIOUS!!!!! I love that book... :P

message 41: by Jojobean (last edited Jul 26, 2013 09:44PM) (new)

message 42: by v.v (new)

v.v | 442 comments Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire wrote: "1. R.L. Stine
2. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
3. Kelly Creagh
4. Colleen Houck
5. Julie Kagawa
6. [author:Katie Alender|156..."

I love Julie Kagawa. I also like Alyxandra Harvey, Carrie Jones and Sherrilyn Kenyon.

message 43: by Katie ® (new)

Katie ® | 3 comments One of my favorite authors in YA Dystopian genre is Casey Hays Her new series Breederis great and the next books comes out pretty soon!

message 44: by Wren (new)

Wren (wrenlee) Hm.
I like Susan Ee. She's a good author. A very kind one. She gave me six temporary tattoos for free.
I think that Victoria Schwab is a great author too. She's kind and funny! (I follow her Twitter)

message 45: by BriAnna (new)

BriAnna Smith Cooper | 98 comments I love Richelle Mead's writing. I've only read the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series by her though. They are my favorites by far.