Indie Book Club discussion

Off Topic > Any sports fans?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
Anyone in here a big fan of any kind of sports?

Personally I'm a big fan of MMA and I'll catch the occasional American football game when the season is going on. I also occasionally watch the Columbus Crew play live (soccer).

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Quinn (eqknowles) I'm a big soccer fan. Going to see the Sounders play live next week, in fact. Occasionally I'll catch an MMA match on PPV.

message 3: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 631 comments Mod
I like F1. Can't claim to have watched a race live, but I do follow it fairly closely.

Columbus Crew is a cunning name, although I must admit my first thought was of hip-hop.

message 4: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

The only thing that I know about F1 is that Sly Stallone did a movie about it called Driven. It wasn't a bad movie, but I have no idea how accurate it was lol.

message 5: by Thaddeus (new)

I've not seen it, I'm afraid.

I know F1 isn't big in America (partly due to competition from stuff like NASCAR) but hopefully the excellent new track in Austin will help to change that.

Never seen an American football game, I must admit.

message 6: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

NASCAR holds less than 0 appeal to me. I try to force myself into unconsciousness if I am ever in a room that has it on TV.

Probably not missing anything on the American football it's probably more of a cultural thing. Young men are indoctrinated to watch it.

message 7: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (authorjmpoole) | 2287 comments Mod
I like following the NFL. My grandfather used to play for several teams back in the early 50s. Lets see. I love watching the Olympics when they're on. Love archery. Just got back from Las Vegas and spent about three hours at the Bass Pro store. Awesome archery department! Ended up buying a compound bow. There's an archery range not far from where I live. I'm also going to buy a bow for my wife as she wants to learn, too.

I'm a certified scuba diver. Don't know if that qualifies as a sport, although I will say that you get one helluva workout lugging that gear around. And the final entry I'll mention is that I came thiiiiiiiiis close to getting my black belt in taekwando. Ended up moving a few months before I could finish.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim | 44 comments I thought I'd give F1 another bash after several years away from it (especially since Suzi Perry is now fronting it for the BBC). But it's still the same mind-numbing procession that it was when I stopped watching.

Can't stand ordinary football, but I got a taste for American Football when I worked in Dallas in the late 80s, so nominally I'm a Cowboys supporter, although it's rare that I stay up into the wee small hours to watch a game.

Cricket is just an excuse to read a book outdoors... ;)

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark | 1 comments CFB, MLB, NFL, International Futbol.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Marlowe (scottmarlowe) MLB. I'm a HUGE San Francisco Giants fan. Those who came before me were/are NY Yankees fans, but since I grew up in the SF Bay Area I was never tainted. :-)

My brother somehow wound up a LA Dodgers fan, so we have some fun with it.

Football, I go with the Niners, but only by default. I can take it or leave it when it comes to football.

message 11: by Claude (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) | 12 comments NHL. Heck, you're Canadian, or you're not...

message 12: by Scot (new)

Scot Fin | 11 comments I have to revive this discussion because in this book world, don't get to talk much sports. NHL, my Blackhawks, went almost 50 years without a Stanley Cup and now two recently; can it be three? Also NFL (Cowboys), MLB (Cubs, also a little while without a championship) and recently the other football (soccer - PSG).

message 13: by Thaddeus (new)

Fantastic race in Hungary over the weekend. Got to say Ricciardo's an immensely likeable chap, and Alonso drove fantastically well to secure second in a car that's not great.

message 14: by Scot (new)

Scot Fin | 11 comments Thaddeus wrote: "Fantastic race in Hungary over the weekend. Got to say Ricciardo's an immensely likeable chap, and Alonso drove fantastically well to secure second in a car that's not great."

…but? Isn't the only real F1 race the Monaco Grand Prix? All the others are just pre or post Monaco practice sessions. Aren't they? ;)

message 15: by Thaddeus (new)

Scot, I proclaim you the 13th Duke of Wrongcaster, for no man could be more wrong.

Monaco is ridiculously overrated. With the possible exception of Singapore it's the worst race of the year (Monaco and Singapore are miles worse than everywhere else).

message 16: by Scot (new)

Scot Fin | 11 comments Thaddeus wrote: "Scot, I proclaim you the 13th Duke of Wrongcaster, for no man could be more wrong.

Monaco is ridiculously overrated. With the possible exception of Singapore it's the worst race of the year (Monac..."

And the lucky 13th one as well. Duke Scot, like Prince William and Duke Scot; it has a ring to it.
Within my Dukedom, henceforth, I duly enact that the Monaco Grand Prix is the top Grand Prix. If one could tear their eyes away from the incredible race itself, made so because of the unique circuit that is the streets of Monte Carlo, then one would see the most amazing backdrop for any race, dare I say any sporting event, beautiful Monte Carlo.
Now, does my new Royal capacity get me into the Royal Box for the next Monaco Grand Prix?

message 17: by Thaddeus (new)

Yes, Duke Scot, but as a punishment for your very wrongness.

message 18: by Scot (new)

Scot Fin | 11 comments Thaddeus wrote: "Yes, Duke Scot, but as a punishment for your very wrongness."

If (a big I’m not buying in ‘if’ there) wrong, then as sung by Sir Roderick (another non-formalized title, this one for Rod Stewart, but that’s another story) to the Monaco Grand Prix I say, “If loving you is wrong, I don’t wanna be right.”

message 19: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Fox I'm Chicagoan by birth so Blackhawks, Bulls, and Bears. I've moved down here to Raleigh and have adopted the Carolina Hurricanes (NHL) as well. I live 10 minutes from the stadium, parking is easy, tickets are still cheap and team won Stanley Cup in 2006. Life is good down here :D

message 20: by Scot (new)

Scot Fin | 11 comments Wesley wrote: "I'm Chicagoan by birth so Blackhawks, Bulls, and Bears. I've moved down here to Raleigh and have adopted the Carolina Hurricanes (NHL) as well. I live 10 minutes from the stadium, parking is easy, ..."

Wesley, please, say it ain't so. I'm not and never have been a Chicagoan, but it is still Blackhawks for life. Don't let the Hurricanes entice you away with cheap tickets.

message 21: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Fox While living in Chicago, I was never a hockey fan. I didn't start watching hockey until I went to a Hurricanes game eleven years ago. So the Hurricanes are my first team. I follow the Blackhawks as my second team because they are Chicago, not because I was ever a true fan.

Also, to be accurate I was born in Libertyville, a suburb of the Chicago metro area. I lived in the area for twenty-three years, including five years in the city itself.

message 22: by Thaddeus (new)

For those of us from elsewhere (England), what sports do Blackhawks, Bulls and Bears play?

Sounds like one of them's hockey.

message 23: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Fox Blackhawks (hockey), Bulls (basketball), Bears (Football)

message 24: by Thaddeus (last edited Aug 07, 2014 09:49AM) (new)

*cough*American Football*cough*

Unless you actually mean a 'soccer' team :p

message 25: by Wesley (new)

Wesley Fox Yes the sport where players don't bite each other, fake injuries every other minute, and games don't end in 0-0 ties day after day.

That football.

message 26: by Scot (last edited Aug 08, 2014 09:21AM) (new)

Scot Fin | 11 comments Soccer? Where did that term come from? To use some personal preferences, there is football, as in 5 time Super Bowl champions, Dallas Cowboys and there is football, as in Chelsea FC (for us North America types all the National and International championships is too confusing but Chelsea has a lot).

message 27: by Thaddeus (new)

Ha, I won't argue with that. You missed off spending more time promoting haircare products than training, though ;)

Soccer's not used much in the UK (compared to football) but it does help to differentiate between football and football.