Camy Tang/Camille Elliot discussion

The School of Night
This topic is about The School of Night
What are you reading this week?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 208 (208 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) | 1293 comments Mod
I've been reading a lot of non-Christian fiction lately so that I can keep up with some of my non-Christian friends who love to read, so I picked up this book by Louis Bayard, School of Night.

I read The Black Tower before and absolutely LOVED it because the author does characters SO well and the prose was amazing. He does drop several F-bombs but in The Black Tower, it was totally in character and I didn't think the cussing was gratuitous.

So I'm excited to start The School of Night since I love this author's writing style and characterization, and I find I'm also interested in the historical mystery genre of the book. I only just started this yesterday so I'm barely into it. It's also a break because I've been reading a bunch of Regencies and a few speculative fiction books in the past couple weeks.

What are you reading right now?

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments i have two books on the go as i left one home by accident last week when I went to Adelaide.
I have Forsaken Dreams Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1) by M.L. Tyndall

and Memory of Murder by Ramona Richards

message 3: by Camy (new)

Ooh I have both of those! Although MaryLu's book is for a giveaway, not to read. :)

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments oh its really good. I have Narrow escape also read the start but need to finish Memory of Murder first.

message 5: by Shatara (new)

Shatara (lovepinkish) | 17 comments Right now I'm reading Memory of Murder and Warm Bodies.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments Shatara wrote: "Right now I'm reading Memory of Murder and Warm Bodies."
Is Warm Bodies that same as the movie?

message 7: by Camy (last edited Mar 11, 2013 09:43AM) (new)

Ausjenny wrote: "oh its really good. I have Narrow escape also read the start but need to finish Memory of Murder first."

Cool! I hope you enjoy Narrow Escape!

Of course, if you don't, please just lie to me and tell me you did. ;)

message 8: by Camy (new)

Shatara wrote: "Right now I'm reading Memory of Murder and Warm Bodies."

My husband is a total zombie addict and wants to see that movie! Of course, when I suggested he, oh I don't know, read the book? he looked at me like I was crazy. :)

message 9: by Camy (new)

Judy wrote: "Shatara wrote: "Right now I'm reading Memory of Murder and Warm Bodies."
Is Warm Bodies that same as the movie?"

I'm assuming so!

message 10: by Ileana Tsai (new)

Ileana Tsai | 54 comments I am reading Love's Providence by Jennifer H. Westall

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie Graves (gravesok) | 109 comments I am reading Grave Consequences by Lisa T. Bergren

message 12: by Shatara (new)

Shatara (lovepinkish) | 17 comments Yes Judy it is! I want to read the book before i see the movie. It probably won't be in theaters much longer!

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 30 comments I just started Grace, by Max Lucado.

message 14: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 4 comments I just finished Valiant Hope by Donna Fleisher, it was a real page turner. Now I am reading The Amish Midwife by Mindy Clark Starns

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 30 comments I still have Valiant Hope and Standing Strong to read. I read the first two; they are all on my e-reader so it will be a while before I get to them.

Beth -;)

message 16: by Camy (new)

Ileana wrote: "I am reading Love's Providence by Jennifer H. Westall"

Sounds like a very different type of Christian YA!

message 17: by Camy (new)

Julie wrote: "I am reading Grave Consequences by Lisa T. Bergren"

That series looks totally neat!

message 18: by Camy (new)

Beth - ;) wrote: "I just started Grace, by Max Lucado."

I loved that book!

message 19: by Camy (new)

Phyllis wrote: "I just finished Valiant Hope by Donna Fleisher, it was a real page turner. Now I am reading The Amish Midwife by Mindy Clark Starns"

I really enjoyed Donna Fleisher's writing! Her characters were very gritty and real.

message 20: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 22 comments This week I'm working on Alton Gansky's new book Wounds and A Home for Lydia by Vannetta Chapman. I'm loving Gansky's new book one of his best ones in a long time. I'm enjoying A Home for Lydia it's well written and an entertaining story I just find I enjoy more action packed stories.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (reader_mom) | 13 comments Just finished Talon: Combat Tracking Team and I've started on Forsaken Dreams. Talon was amazing! I love everything by Ronie Kendig and Talon just may take the place of Wolfsbane as my favourite of hers!

Forsaken Dreams is good so far. I'm not too far in but I'm already hooked! Can't wait to see how it ends!

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 30 comments I hope eventually to get to Talon, but first I have to find Trinity. My library has Ronie's other books, which I have read and loved, but so far does not have Trinity. I keep checking just about every day to see if they have it yet. :)

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (reader_mom) | 13 comments Beth - ;) wrote: "I hope eventually to get to Talon, but first I have to find Trinity. My library has Ronie's other books, which I have read and loved, but so far does not have Trinity. I keep checking just about ..."

It's fantastic Beth! They can't order it in for you?

message 24: by Camy (new)

Holly wrote: "This week I'm working on Alton Gansky's new book Wounds and A Home for Lydia by Vannetta Chapman. I'm loving Gansky's new book one of his best ones in a long time. I'm enjoying A Home for Lydia it'..."

I haven't yet gotten that book from Alton Gansky! I'm so glad it's so good!

message 25: by Camy (new)

Sarah wrote: "Just finished Talon: Combat Tracking Team and I've started on Forsaken Dreams. Talon was amazing! I love everything by Ronie Kendig and Talon just may take the place of Wolfsbane as my favourite ..."

That's awesome to hear!

message 26: by Camy (new)

Beth - ;) wrote: "I hope eventually to get to Talon, but first I have to find Trinity. My library has Ronie's other books, which I have read and loved, but so far does not have Trinity. I keep checking just about ..."

I got Trinity on ebook because I just couldn't find it in the bookstore and if I was going to order online, I figured I'd buy the ebook. Easier!

message 27: by Camy (new)

Sarah wrote: "It's fantastic Beth! They can't order it in for you? "

Oh that's a good idea. Most libraries will order the book if you put in a request.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 30 comments I have been considering that, especially since there are a few other books I want as well that are not listed in their database as yet.

message 29: by Camy (new)

When the library near my husband's workplace was available to us, I'd request books all the time and he'd pick it up on his way home from work. It was great!

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (fishingjan) | 17 comments Camy wrote: "I've been reading a lot of non-Christian fiction lately so that I can keep up with some of my non-Christian friends who love to read, so I picked up this book by Louis Bayard, School of Night.

I ..."

I'm reading The Survivor by DiAnn Mills Fantastic

message 31: by Camy (new)

Jan wrote: "I'm reading The Survivor by DiAnn Mills Fantastic"

That's one of hers I don't have!

message 32: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 22 comments Camy wrote: "Holly wrote: "This week I'm working on Alton Gansky's new book Wounds and A Home for Lydia by Vannetta Chapman. I'm loving Gansky's new book one of his best ones in a long time. I'm enjoying A Home..."

I should finish Gansky's book today, finished the Amish one last night. It surprised me really. Gansky's book is intense and kind of graphic but I don't think in an offensive way. I'm looking forward to seeing how he ends it.

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 30 comments I started Double Blind by Brandilyn Collins last night. I am not sure yet about it; do not like books written in the first person but will continue for now.

I am also reading Grace by Max Lucado but do not want to rush through it the way I do fiction.

message 34: by Camy (new)

Holly wrote: "I should finish Gansky's book today, finished the Amish one last night. It surprised me really. Gansky's book is intense and kind of graphic but I don't think in an offensive way. I'm looking forward to seeing how he ends it. "

That's good to know. I've read a few Christian thrillers that were a bit too graphic for me.

message 35: by Camy (new)

Beth - ;) wrote: "I started Double Blind by Brandilyn Collins last night. I am not sure yet about it; do not like books written in the first person but will continue for now.

I am also reading Grace by Max Lucad..."

I completely agree! I tend to read many nonfiction books more slowly so I can absorb the message better.

message 36: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) I'm reading: My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade, Unrivaled by Siri Mitchell, The Aristocrat's Lady by Mary Moore, and Temptation by Travis Thrasher.

Non-fiction read: Reasons For Belief by Norman L. Geisler and Patty Tunnicliffe

message 37: by John (new)

John G. | 7 comments Last year I read FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING in Portuguese. Now I am starting THE TWO TOWERS in Spanish. (Each reading has been/will be accompanied by a re-reading of the original in English.)

In non-fiction, I just finished Mark Batterson's THE CIRCLE MAKER, about prayer. Highly recommended.

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollymag321) | 22 comments Beth - ;) wrote: "I started Double Blind by Brandilyn Collins last night. I am not sure yet about it; do not like books written in the first person but will continue for now.

I am also reading Grace by Max Lucad..."

I really enjoyed Double Blind. There were several twist in there that surprised me. But I don't mind the first person aspect.

message 39: by Camy (new)

Melanie wrote: "I'm reading: My Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade, Unrivaled by Siri Mitchell, The Aristocrat's Lady by Mary Moore, and Temptation by Travis Thrasher.

Non-fiction read: Reasons For Belief by Norman L. ..."

You've got a lot going on! I always have such a hard time reading more than one book at once. You rock!

message 40: by Camy (new)

John wrote: "Last year I read FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING in Portuguese. Now I am starting THE TWO TOWERS in Spanish. (Each reading has been/will be accompanied by a re-reading of the original in English.)

In non..."

I am so impressed! I had a hard enough time reading the Lord of the Rings series in English!

message 41: by Camy (new)

Holly wrote: "I really enjoyed Double Blind. There were several twist in there that surprised me. But I don't mind the first person aspect. ."

I think Brandilyn Collins tends to do first person POV very well.

message 42: by Ileana Tsai (new)

Ileana Tsai | 54 comments Camy wrote: "Ileana wrote: "I am reading Love's Providence by Jennifer H. Westall"

Sounds like a very different type of Christian YA!"

Camy: it certainly was different. I have mix feelings about this book. I woul not necessarily call it uplifting at the end of the day but it is realistic in many levels.

message 43: by Camy (new)

Ileana wrote: "Camy: it certainly was different. I have mix feelings about this book. I woul not necessarily call it uplifting at the end of the day but it is realistic in many levels. "

I can see how that type of realism would appeal to some teen readers these days.

message 44: by Ileana Tsai (new)

Ileana Tsai | 54 comments I read it because the rating in Goodreads was above 4.00 but I do not think that I am not sure that I would recommend it to a teenager to read. Lily had a lot of hardship as a result of her disobedience to God.

message 45: by Camy (new)

Ileana wrote: "I read it because the rating in Goodreads was above 4.00 but I do not think that I am not sure that I would recommend it to a teenager to read. Lily had a lot of hardship as a result of her disobed..."

You should make sure you put that in your review, because it's good for a reader to know. Because you said that, I'm not sure that I would put it high on my TBR pile.

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 30 comments I am finding Double Blind easier now that I have read more of it (up to chapter 19). I do read Sue Grafton, who also writes in first person, but do not really like it. As least they write in past tense. I especially do not like first person "present" where the author writes as though events are happening at that moment - "I am walking towards" - that sort of thing. I gave up on The White Queen after just a few pages of that and also Patricia Cornwell when she changed her style of writing to that form several years ago. Does Brandilynn Collins always write in first person or is this the only one?

message 47: by Camy (new)

I can't remember if she always writes in first person or not. I don't think so.

message 48: by Kim (new)

Kim | 33 comments Camy thank you for your replys back to an discussion on "What book did you just finish?" in another group about Sushi for One?. I wrote a reply back to you at that group. Thank-you for taking time out for a new fan and sharing. I am so late to the party, but enjoying myself and getting inspired by your work and thoughts. You are so authentic and I hope you never change. I am going to purchase and read Only Uni next month. I am reading this week two Christian historicals: The Chamomile and To Die For: A Novel of Anne Boleyn.

message 49: by Ileana Tsai (new)

Ileana Tsai | 54 comments Camy wrote: "Ileana wrote: "I read it because the rating in Goodreads was above 4.00 but I do not think that I am not sure that I would recommend it to a teenager to read. Lily had a lot of hardship as a result..."

Ileana wrote: "I read it because the rating in Goodreads was above 4.00 but I do not think that I am not sure that I would recommend it to a teenager to read. Lily had a lot of hardship as a result of her disobed..."

I have made some changes to my review. Thanks for the suggestion Camy!

message 50: by Camy (new)

Kim wrote: "Camy thank you for your replys back to an discussion on "What book did you just finish?" in another group about Sushi for One?. I wrote a reply back to you at that group. Thank-you for taking time ..."

Thanks so much, Kim! I hope you enjoy Only Uni--a lot of the character's feelings about herself and her past were things I really had to struggle with when I was a relatively new Christian, and I wanted to write about them and hopefully help other people understand the incredible depth of God's grace. :)

I heard To Die For was a great book, although I haven't read it!

« previous 1 3 4 5