What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Case of the Vanishing Villain
This topic is about The Case of the Vanishing Villain
SOLVED: Children's/YA > 1970s-1990s children's/YA mystery fiction - two sisters trying to solve a case on a ship or some sort of vacation thing. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (last edited Mar 11, 2013 07:22PM) (new)

Lucy C (abloodredsky) | 4 comments Okay, so it's been ages since I read this book. I remember really weird details and not really important ones, which is unfortunate. But this has been bugging me so maybe someone can help.

I remember it was written in the first person and centered around a 12 year old girl, who described herself as chubby, red-headed, and frizzy-haired. She loves detective stories and wants to solve a mystery. Her younger sister (I thought her name was Amy, but maybe it's not) is 10 and sort of a child genius - she's very observant, blonde, always wears dresses and doily socks, and ends up solving the book's mystery. I am pretty sure they were on a cruise ship or a big boat or something.

I don't think it was a series, but it may have been since I only read that one.

I remember it was kind of pre-teen fiction - not yet YA, maybe a 5th/6th grade audience.

I remember these random quotes:

"What color are our mailman's shoes?"
"Brown....or maybe they're black."
[Younger sister] grins. "See? You don't really look at anything. Most people don't."

[The younger sister says something about dogs looking like their owners.]
Older sister thinks about their dog at home "all short and squat with red hair" or something.
Older sister: "I suppose you mean Ginger and I look alike, huh?"

I know it's not terribly much to go on, but I do hope someone can help!! :) Thanks.

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Mar 11, 2013 07:24AM) (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 439 comments The Case of the Vanishing Villain by Carol J. Farley?

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Vanishing-...

message 3: by Lucy (new)

Lucy C (abloodredsky) | 4 comments Yes!! Oh my gosh, thank you so much, Lisa. :)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (med0ra) | 439 comments You're welcome.

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda | 54 comments The Case of the Vanishing Villain for the Goodreads link