The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > Weird Books!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack (jack_) | 564 comments What are the oddest books you've ever read? Did they leave you speechless? We're they just plain weird?

message 2: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 46 comments it wasn't a weird book but I read A New Hunger expecting a fun, light read since it's a prequel to Warm Bodies and it was so utterly depressing and heavy. It was an excellent short story but not what I expected at all. I was stunned after I read it l thinking did I just read something from the wrong series!?

message 3: by Haley (new)

Haley | 5 comments Well i bought The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter, #1) by Megan Shepherd for the cover basically. I scanned the back cover and decided it was good enough. So when i read it i thought it was a bad idea to have bought it at the beginning but then i couldn't put it down. When i finished it i had tears in my eyes but i was so angry i wanted to tear my home apart and scream. I think i can really say it was the weirdest book i have ever read.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

message 5: by chucklesthescot (last edited Jun 22, 2013 04:19AM) (new)

chucklesthescot I liked The Forest of Hands and Teeth but I agree it is a bit odd. I did find it different in that the society she lived in could have been either historical or dystopian. I could imagine it to be a small religious village in the distant past or a secluded futuristic village where people shun technical advancements and other people. I found it hard to place it in an actual time period, which was interesting. I still have book 2 and 3 to read though.

message 6: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (sharkster) | 19 comments A weird book that I just finished was Every Day by David Levithan. It tells the story of an entity, A, that travels from body to body, never getting a say in who, or for how long (it's always a day). A had made rules about how to live, but all of that changes when he wakes up as Justin, and meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon. I recommend to anyone with a dry sense of humor.

message 7: by Raevyn (last edited Jun 29, 2013 05:02AM) (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments Foundling.
A relative of mine thought Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo was weird, and that was only the first chapter.

message 8: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (sharkster) | 19 comments Ooh, I loved Leven Thumps! I had to read it for Battle of the Books, and I agree that it was weird.

message 9: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments It was kind of like Harry Potter, wasn't it? Like, to a T!

message 10: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (sharkster) | 19 comments Yeah, it was, wasn't it?

message 11: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 50 comments Clover could have been Dobby, Leven had dark hair, and...wow. I still liked it on its own.

message 12: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (sharkster) | 19 comments Yeah, now I get it! Whoa, crazy.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stefaniajoy) Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz. It was weird and it legitimately scared me. (Probably shouldn't have read it at night, but I didn't know better at the time! It was the first in the series!)

Another weird book I read was Ruby. I don't remember much about it, just that it was strange.

Also Epileptic, which is a graphic novel. It's pretty deep but so odd. I was confused for a lot of it. (Read this one for school.)

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stefaniajoy) Sorry, the Ruby that it linked to wasn't the one I was thinking of! The one I read is by Francesca Lia Block.

message 15: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean Slice of Cherry  by Dia Reeves

This book was very weird and I didn't like it at all. From the synopsis I thought it was going to be about two daughters of a serial killer who inherit his taste for killing. I was not prepared for all the stupid paranormal elements (if you want to call it that) and the sheer stupidity of this book. It left me speechless with how dumb it was lol

message 16: by Erin LM (new)

Erin LM | 160 comments I liked the adoration of Jenna Fox but it wasn't what I expected, I never thought the accident would be so weird and bad but still it was an interesting book and it caught all your attention because you wanted to know what happened on that tragic night, even though it's weird I recommend it.

message 17: by Bailey (new)

Bailey Ann | 15 comments Blood Red Road. I know people absolutely love it, but I can not get over the writing style. I literally made it two pages and stopped.

message 18: by Tex (last edited Aug 14, 2013 07:56PM) (new)

Tex (Texd) | 166 comments Forbidden Sister romantically in love with her brother :O