Goodreads in North Carolina discussion

Novels set in Italy

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LemonLinda (new)

LemonLinda (lwilliamson0423) | 3 comments Do any of you have suggestions for great novels set in Italy?

message 2: by Tracyene (new)

Tracyene | 7 comments The only one I can think of is Under the Tuscan Sun--not exactly great, but good.

message 3: by Tracyene (new)

Tracyene | 7 comments Here are some more I've read:
I'm Not Scared...Niccolo Ammaniti
A Room With a View
The Talented Mr. Ripley
In the Company of the Coutesan...Sarah Dumant

Some I'd like to read:
The Reincarnationist...MJ Rose
The Comfort of Strangers...Ian McEwan
The Book of Unholy Mischief...Elle NewMark

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell is set in Italy during WWII. From Amazon:

The premise of the story, that there is a safe haven in Italy for Jews as they try to hide from their ultimate slaughter by the Nazi's is a compelling one. And it is true. The characters, a Jewish Rabbi, a Catholic Priest, the Italians of the region, and the Germans (collectively) face the moral and ethical dilemma all humans face in war. Russell does an excellect job dealing with the whole war/morality issue without preaching one way or the other.

message 5: by Laura Leigh (new)

Laura Leigh Brittain (lauraleighbrittain) | 3 comments Here are some books that feature Italy... Have a beautiful day! Laura

The Tuscan Year: Tuscan Life and Food in an Italian Valley, Elizabeth Romer
The Hills of Tuscany, Ferenc Maté
Italy: A short History, H.Hearder
Within Tuscany, Matthew Spender
The Divine Comedy, Dante
A Tuscan Childhood, Kinta Beevor
Treasures of the Tuscan Table, Burton Anderson

And I know you did not ask for movies... but here are a few!

Movies
La Dolce Vita The Bicycle Thief Malena
Johnny Stecchino La Strada Cinema Paradiso
Il Postino Christ Stopped at Eboli Pane e Tulipani
Ciao Profesore! Caro Diario
Piccolo Diavolo Mediterraneo

message 6: by Aylin (last edited Nov 08, 2010 04:26AM) (new)

Aylin Pat Conroy's "Beach Music" is partly set it Italy. It is a wonderful book!

Richard Russo's "Bridge of Sighs" is set in Venice.

message 7: by David (new)

David (davidpetsolt) I really enjoyed The Agony and the Ecstasy: A Biographical Novel of Michelangelo by Irving Stone. Here is an excerpt of the description, "A masterpiece in its own right, this novel offers a compelling portrait of Michelangelo's dangerous, impassioned loves, and the God-driven fury from which he wrested the greatest art the world has ever known." I read it while exploring his works, and it really made both the art and book come to life.