Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Question of the Week > How much real life do you want in your romance reading?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9694 comments Mod
Do you like 100% escapism or do you like to have a very realistic story? Tell us what you think about that.

message 2: by Sharmila (new)

Sharmila | 67 comments For me, crap everyday!! Lol

I guess it depends on the person and what they read and think about on a daily routine. You read the news paper, watch the news and read all day at work or what ever reading that doesn't provide imagination. Each hold importances that's makes your mind think. Is it fun some times?, Yes and sometime not. But your reading them for their facts and it seems to dictates your life that's very real. It can become very boring or routine. A creative mind, an open mind even a dreamer can't be boxed into the boring yet important issues.

So I guess to answer your question, for me I like to play outside the lines more then most of the time. It makes the real more manageable as long if there's just 30 mins of escape. Puts a smile on your face. Escape is good people, Do it more!

message 3: by BDSM newbie (new)

BDSM newbie  (Charlievamp) I read to escape so reading about my own life is boring lol. Sometimes I like a total escape so the weirder the better but sometimes a nice little book that's I can relate to is also good. I'm finding that my reading choices are changing and I'm enjoying some books that I wouldn't of a few years ago. But I still liked a clear cut of point from where my life and what I read.

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
I want mostly escapism. I want a story that's not totally impausible but not too much realism. Maybe 80% escapism and 20% realism. But if I had to choose between 100% of either then it would be escapism.

message 5: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t more escapism than realism for me. i've got too much real life as it is

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments I like to think that I could handle the things that happen in a book, but at times with some of the things I read, there is no way I could.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 272 comments I read to escape, but I don't care if an author uses real places and situations and issues. They just need to make sure they know what they're talking about before using those things in their story.

message 8: by Sky (new)

Sky (skyswriting) | 65 comments If it makes any sense, I love to have a little of both in my stories. If I like total escapism, I'd read a Epic Fantasy book. Unless it's a paranormal romance, then, a lil zing to it would be alright.

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 269 comments I like escapism but if it's contemporary with no magical anything, then I expect the story to make sense in a way.

I know relationships are on speed in books because there's not much time but I expect a little realism with the relationship.

Sex scenes using condoms are okay but we'll just assume after the first time that they're using them every time. I don't need each condom instance described in detail.

Bathroom breaks are fine too. Everybody, including my dogs, has to pee when they wake up in the morning but some of these books have them going at it in all kinds of positions with no stop for pee-pee first and all morning breath. I know my husband's breath (we won't talk about mine) in the morning smells like he's held a chunk of blue cheese in his cheek all night. I don't even want him talking to me unless he's 5 feet away let alone kissing me. So, yes, they'll say, "Excuse me for a second honey." I'll assume when they return everything was taken care of.

message 10: by Sky (new)

Sky (skyswriting) | 65 comments Carolyn, I do agree with you there. Those were my side thoughts throughout the book.

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
That's funny, Carolyn. Seems like I remember reading something somewhere a while back that complained about the lack of realism in romance novels. Like the hero and heroine never had bathroom breaks or worried about morning breath, etc.... Now we are complaining when the author does address those issues. I personally don't want too much detain regarding those elements. I like to assume they took care of those things and move on.

message 12: by Sky (new)

Sky (skyswriting) | 65 comments I think if it isn't overused in a story, like every chapter the character takes a bathroom break lol, but in a casual way wouldn't be so bad, like JR Ward. She'll casually throw it in there once, and shows she puts a lot of thought into giving realistic (irony, I know, vampires) lifestyles and traits to our characters to bring them to life a bit. I think the condom thing bugged me the most lol. It’s best to just assume, rather than kill the mood with the extra paragraph about how slowly he peeled the wrapper. I don't care how good he looks opening a foil, just gooooo!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9694 comments Mod
I'd have to agree that fantasy book have more leeway to go all out. When it comes to real-world stories, I want things to be somewhat realistic. But I love HEAs, so I'm totally cool with the author taking some rough situations and still somehow writing things to work out for the characters.

I don't mind if the characters have to do some hygenic things, but I don't want the story to focus too much on that.

message 14: by Anna D. (new)

Anna D. | 44 comments Sky wrote: " I don't care how good he looks opening a foil, just gooooo! "

That's hilarious Sky!!! I kind of agree..the author can describe it the first time and not have to mention it again.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 13 comments As long as I am caught up in the story that's all that matters. I like to still be thinking about the characters and story when I'm not reading and when I'm finished...all consuming I guess.

I don't, however, like vampires, time travel and all that jazz.

I went through a period where I wouldn't read any paranormal books, which is weird, since I devoured them growing up. My sister finally convinced me to read Sherrilyn Kenyon about twelve years ago, and I can't stay away from paranormal now. I think I truly enjoy escapism and what ifs in a book, so bring it on.

message 17: by Mochaspresso (new)

Mochaspresso  | 17 comments I prefer escapism but still within a semi-reasonable and believable context, if that makes any sense.

I can understand what you mean, Mochaspresso. The things that are real-world grounded need to feel realistic. The out there stuff, not so much.

I feel that even fantasy and science fiction has to have some sort of human connection to it. Even if the characters aren't human. It might even be in the emotions that the characters go through.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie (jessesgurl) | 27 comments This is what I tell my co-workers that sneer at my books "I live, work, play, and will eventually perish in the real world - let me escape into fantasy for a little while."

Well said, Katie!

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) This thread is very funny. To be honest, I never thought about the hygienic things before these discussions - I simply accepted it all as part of the story.

I've discovered over the years that I'm not that interested in having too much reality in the books that I read - I get too much of that in real life and want to get away from the silly misunderstandings and the angst in my reading. For this reason, I hardly read contemporary romance anymore.