Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

DEBATES > Nice Guys or Bad Boys

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Which one do you like to read more - Nice Guys or Bad Boys?

message 2: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Mar 09, 2013 06:56PM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments lol I think everyone knows my opinion on this!

I don't mind bad boys, as long as they are good at heart.
Example:
Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry, #3) by Simone Elkeles - he had the rep of being a bad boy but didn't really have to act on it to uphold it. At heart, he was so so so sweet and he was good to his girl.

but I don't like really jealous boys that are possessive and fight a lot:
The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1) by J. Sterling Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
(Ironically enough, both boys give the girl the same nickname in these 2 books: Kitten. Ugh D:)

& it's made me stay away from:
Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1) by Jamie McGuire

message 3: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments lol... So I think you have made a good decision to stay away from Beautiful Disaster because he called her Pigeon. :D

Morganvillechic | 301 comments I like a bad boy thats nice like in this series: Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine

message 5: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Gisbelle wrote: "lol... So I think you have made a good decision to stay away from Beautiful Disaster because he called her Pigeon. :D"

oh no, REALLY! Pigeon?!?!? Ugh, that's just awful! LOL I hadn't even heard that! jeez.....

message 6: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments I agree with you both. Now that most authors seem to enjoy writing books with bad boys with the heart of gold, I tend to read more bad boys than nice guys.

But I loved Cricket from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins he was such a gentleman :D

message 7: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments I LOVED Cricket too!!! He was so awesome!!!! When they talked about their clothes and he confessed why he changed his style

my heart melted. lol

message 8: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Trisha wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "lol... So I think you have made a good decision to stay away from Beautiful Disaster because he called her Pigeon. :D"

oh no, REALLY! Pigeon?!?!? Ugh, that's just awful! LOL I ha..."

true story :) lol... Trisha, it was a bit strange to me too. Whenever he called her that, the picture popped in my head was not that nice. Look how pigeons walk lol...

But I liked the book though. And I am sure you would hate it if you read it :D

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer | 108 comments I second what Trisha said. I like bad boys but ONLY if they're really nice underneath. Like sometimes there's rumors that he's slept with the entire school, or he drives a motor bike and he's a bad-ass. But really he just pretends to be a player 'cause he's insecure and he rides a bike because he doesn't have any money. lol.

If it turns out he really HAS slept with all the girls in the school, I'm not gonna be voting for him.

And I REALLY dislike "bad boys" that are aggressive and rapey and are being portrayed as "sexy".

message 10: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments OOOOO Bad boys def. I love the bad boy who is a softy, nice, loving and loyal underneath his hard core image. ahhhhhh

message 11: by Maitreyee (new)

Maitreyee (miandering_entity) Bad boys...the character becomes more complex so it's more interesting to read

message 12: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments It seems to me like most of us love them bad boys :)

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer | 108 comments Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire wrote: "OOOOO Bad boys def. I love the bad boy who is a softy, nice, loving and loyal underneath his hard core image. ahhhhhh"

lol, exactly! Kinda like an Oreo cookie, dark and "hard" on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside...

Now I've made myself hungry.

message 14: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy (cassidyreadssometimes) Maitreyee wrote: "Bad boys...the character becomes more complex so it's more interesting to read"
I soooooo agree!

message 15: by Erin (last edited Mar 20, 2013 11:11PM) (new)

Erin Latimer | 108 comments Not ONE vote for nice guys? :( Those poor nice guys. I guess the saying "nice guys finish last" is actually true.

Though, me personally, I wouldn't date 'em. I'm content just reading about them, lol. They don't make good boyfriends. Not in real life, anyways.

message 16: by Purvika (new)

Purvika (frostybells) I am soo done with bad boys :p... Nice guys ... Is niceeee ... They can be funny and witty , and sweet and macho :p ...

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (peace99) | 128 comments Bad boys deff

message 18: by kirstin ✿ (last edited Mar 26, 2013 06:42AM) (new)

kirstin ✿ (shoutohdoroki) NICE GUYS DEFINITELY. They make my heart melt. Like Peeta. He's sweet and charming.

I actually like bad guys, too. In fact they're my first love. Patch Cipriano. They're just intriguing and mysterious that you're drawn to them.

But then after reading a couple more books I realize that no one can beat the nice guys.

message 19: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (adriennesreads) | 239 comments I love nice guys too, especially after I came across Dave Wade in What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen. He just made me swoon ♥

message 20: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Erin wrote: "Not ONE vote for nice guys? :( Those poor nice guys. I guess the saying "nice guys finish last" is actually true.

Though, me personally, I wouldn't date 'em. I'm content just reading about them, l..."

Lol... Agreed! I enjoy reading about those bad boys, but I am trying to stay away from them in real life.

message 21: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Augusti wrote: "I am soo done with bad boys :p... Nice guys ... Is niceeee ... They can be funny and witty , and sweet and macho :p ..."

Who's your favorite nice guy?

message 22: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Kat wrote: "Bad boys deff"

Got anyone in mind Kat?

message 23: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Kirstin wrote: "NICE GUYS DEFINITELY. They make my heart melt. Like Peeta. He's sweet and charming.

I actually like bad guys, too. In fact they're my first love. Patch Cipriano. They're just intriguing and myster..."

I am not into Peeta, but yes he is sweet and he can bake :)

I love Patch too :D

message 24: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Adrienne ツ wrote: "I love nice guys too, especially after I came across Dave Wade in What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen. He just made me swoon ♥"

I haven't read the book, but he sounds like a great guys :)

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Personally I like nice guys better, but that's mainly because I'm into classy guys

message 26: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer | 108 comments Patch can take a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned. lol. He just acts like a jerk face.

I'll take Peeta from Hunger Games or Sam from Shiver, sweet and protective.

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Adams (annaadams) | 6 comments Good guys in real life, but bad ones in fiction. I mean, come on, nice guys in real life aren't perfect, while nice guys in fiction haven't a single flaw, and that makes them really boring, IMO.

message 28: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Anna wrote: "Good guys in real life, but bad ones in fiction. I mean, come on, nice guys in real life aren't perfect, while nice guys in fiction haven't a single flaw, and that makes them really boring, IMO."

Agreed! :)

message 29: by Mel (last edited May 04, 2013 07:59PM) (new)

Mel | 200 comments It really depends on the book because I love them both for example Winn from After Dark (The 19th Year, #1) by Emi Gayle is a nice guy but he's so adorbs and totally cute and then on the other side The Darkling from Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo is a bad guy but he's interesting and elegant so to me as long as both types are layered and not the run of the mill bad guy or nice guy then it can work.

message 30: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 108 comments I'm so team Derek in this series so far
Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter
and I feel like out of him and Lucas he's the 'Nice Guy'

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments I love a 'good' bad boy over a good guy anytime! Esp when they are really really good deep down inside!

message 32: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27299 comments Becky wrote: "I love a 'good' bad boy over a good guy anytime! Esp when they are really really good deep down inside!"

lol ... me too! Besides, I'm kinda into the jealous type too :)

message 33: by Sofiraindrop (last edited May 13, 2013 05:13AM) (new)

Sofiraindrop | 470 comments I do love both of them, cause it depends of how much badass they are or if they are too boring.

message 34: by kirstin ✿ (new)

kirstin ✿ (shoutohdoroki) Nisha wrote: "I don't mind bad boys but nice guys make me swoon~ Bad boys are so overrated. The whole possessive neanderthal thing that comes with bad boys is exhausting and over used. Good guys on the other han..."

DITTO THAT!

message 35: by Joanna Marie (new)

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) bad boys for me but of couse nice guys won't hurt - they're easy to love

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Nisha wrote: "I don't mind bad boys but nice guys make me swoon~ Bad boys are so overrated. The whole possessive neanderthal thing that comes with bad boys is exhausting and over used. Good guys on the other han..."

Does NOT make you a boring person! It makes you a person who knows what she wants! LOL.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice guys l&l the way!! I've never really had a thing for bad boys.

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma Winter | 35 comments Nice guys! I'm only into sweet good guys in real life and in the books. I don't even like guys with six packs because they seem to manly to me! I like the cute sweet and innocent kind of guy!

message 39: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bourneleader96) I like it when they can be a mixture of both. Sweet, flirtatious, charming, respectful. You know. The kind of guy who's respectable, and will treat you right... Yet he's also funny, sarcastic, witty, teasing... knows how to have fun.

Rainbow Moonstone (rainbowmoonstone) | 24 comments Nice guys with good hearts. If you really need to, you can turn them bad (in private) yourself ;)

message 41: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) Most of the books I've read, I always love the bad boys.

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma Bad boys, there's just something about them...
But it depends on the book. Like, in: Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry How can you not like the bad boy?

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma Georgia wrote: "I'm so team Derek in this series so far
Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter
and I feel like out of him and Lucas he's the 'Nice Guy'"

I agree :)

message 44: by Adam (new)

Adam | 180 comments I am a nice guy and I like as a friend nice guys.

message 45: by Erin (new)

Erin Beaufait (eroseb) | 6 comments Both, I guess. It depends how nice the guy is. And if the bad boy has a soft side (which they usually do) For example I loved Will in Slammed, and he was Definitely a nice guy. And I also loved Jace in The Mortal Instruments, and he is Totally a bad boy. I "fell in love" with both in each series:)

message 46: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha | 48 comments I like alpha bad boys who are good from the inside.
I really love Four from Divergent, Raffe from Angelfall and Catcher from dark and hollow places but I really don't like Daemon Black, Jace Wayland/Herondale, Patch Cipriano and Daniel Grigory especially Patch and Daniel who stalk women.

message 47: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennasilver) | 53 comments I love the bad guy with a good heart.

message 48: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 58 comments I third Trisha with BAD BOYS ALL THE WAY!! With a good heart that treats their girls right:)<3

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Thompson | 7 comments I always tell my students that I judge my books by the bad boys :) I finished Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3) by Katie McGarry and I LOVE! Isaiah, but having read Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West , I never liked Duke only Trevor! Usually I never choose the nice guy though!

message 50: by Reannan (new)

Reannan | 9 comments Lisa wrote: "I always tell my students that I judge my books by the bad boys :) I finished Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3) by Katie McGarry and I LOVE! Isaiah, but having read Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West, I never like..."
Lisa I have just started Crash into you and I love love Isaiah one of my favourite bad boys with a good heart.

9times out of 10 when it comes to me I love the bad boys over the nice ones.

« previous 1 3