European Royalty discussion

History Discussions > German Royalty Reads

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Hi! I'm interested in German Royalty History. Does anyone out there have any recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments Fiction or non?

These are the only novels I can think of
The King's Daughter
The Winter Queen (first in series)

For non-fiction, you'll find a wealth of references at http://royalty.nu/Europe/Germany.html

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments It may be difficult to find, but The Princess of Celle by Jean Plaidy is about Sophia Dorothea who married George, the Crown Prince of Hanover (and later George I of England). It's been a while since I read this book, but I think most of it takes place in Germany before George becomes King of England. It's the first book in Plaidy's Georgian Saga.

message 5: by KOMET (last edited Mar 10, 2013 02:21PM) (new)

KOMET | 71 comments Here are two other books on one of the German royals worth looking into.

1) Frederick the Great: A Military History by Dennis Showalter

Frederick the Great A Military History by Dennis Showalter

2) Frederick the Great by Nancy Mitford

This book will be available in bookstores in June 2013.

Frederick the Great by Nancy Mitford

message 6: by Roberta (new)

Roberta | 10 comments Hessian Tapestry by Duff and An Uncommon Woman by Pacula. These are non- fiction by good reads about fascinating people

message 7: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 71 comments The Kaiser and His Court: Wilhelm II and the Government of Germany by John C.G. Röhl.

Sheds light on the monarchy and the government in Imperial Germany.

The Kaiser and His Court Wilhelm II and the Government of Germany by John C.G. Röhl

message 8: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Thank you so much!!! This gives me a starting point for sure!!