Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Mismatched ISBN 10 and ISBN 13

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments I can't see anything in the logs that suggest the ISBN-10 was ever changed after the book was first created sometime in 2010. It could have created wrongly. It happens.

message 2: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Abigail wrote: "Hmm... when I narrowed the librarian logs to that edition, I thought I saw that the (wrong) ISBN had been added at one point. In any case, the 10 and 13 didn't match up, so it needed to be corrected."

An ASIN which matches the ISBN-10 was removed but the ISBN-10 you replaced (0439296900) doesn't show as being added which normally means it was there on first creation. How there could be book with an ISBN and an ASIN I don't know but that is how I read the log on the edition you listed:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Looks to me like the ISBN10 was in the ASIN field... That ISBN10 does match the one that Abigail has put back in though.

message 4: by Banjomike (last edited Mar 10, 2013 08:30AM) (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Abigail wrote: "Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing, but the first edit for that edition clearly shows that ISBN 0689821867 was associated with the book, in some capacity. I see that it is described as an ..."

The first edits say "asin: '0689821867' to ''" which means an ASIN was erased.

If there was an ASIN then there should NOT have been an ISBN (they should be mutually exclusive on an edition). But there is no indication that the ISBN was added later so logically it was already there.

Mismatched 10 and 13 are not rare on Goodreads or on books.

message 5: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments In my opinion the ISBNs that should stay are 0689821867 and 9780689821868. It looks like someone accidentally placed the ISBN in the ASIN slot, and then it was removed.

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments The first entry in the log shows the ASIN being changed from 0689821867 to blank. I've seen (rare) instances before where a book has somehow managed to get itself an ASIN and an ISBN, which seems the case here.

When I looked yesterday it showed the 04... ISBN coming from a Barnes and Noble import, which probably snuck it's way in while the ISBN field was blank.

Given the various data sources that mixed-up information and the fact that Abigail has the book, I'd say the correction she made was a good one.

message 7: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Vicky wrote: "When I looked yesterday it showed the 04... ISBN coming from a Barnes and Noble import, which probably snuck it's way in while the ISBN field was blank.

Given the various data sources that mixed-up information and the fact that Abigail has the book, I'd say the correction she made was a good one. "

I agree about the edits being a good idea.

Was there a Barnes and Noble import reference yesterday?

message 8: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Banjomike wrote: "Was there a Barnes and Noble import reference yesterday?"

Before Abigail made the change, it was attributed to B&N in the data sources table. I had looked at it and then had to run off but I remember thinking it was odd that the ISBN had come from B&N and the ISBN13 had come from ingram. :P

message 9: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5530 comments Vicky wrote: "Before Abigail made the change, it was attributed to B&N in the data sources table. I had looked at it and then had to run off but I remember thinking it was odd that the ISBN had come from B&N and the ISBN13 had come from ingram. :P "

OK, gotcha. Wonder where the original ASIN came from?