Curvy Girls Rock! discussion

My pet peeve as a BBW author...

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Georgette wrote: "...is trying to find good stock photos for my covers. I use sites like bigstockphoto, shutterstockphoto, etc. You can find a million pictures of beautiful, skinny models...but there are very few pi..."

This is so true, Georgette! I could rant about the same thing. I would just love to see photos of women like the women I knew grewing up- healthy, full-figured women who were proud of who they are!

message 2: by Sugar (new)

Sugar (Sugarjamison) | 3 comments I feel like there could be a business opportunity here for some enterprising person. An artist drew my cover to make sure my heroine was as curvy as I wanted her. I feel your pain.

message 3: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Allan (paulineallan) | 547 comments Mod
Georgette wrote: "...is trying to find good stock photos for my covers. I use sites like bigstockphoto, shutterstockphoto, etc. You can find a million pictures of beautiful, skinny models...but there are very few pi..."

Omg! I feel ya! For my trailer for See Me I used a gal from photostock. She was curvy and fuller figured, but not a size 14-16 like I wanted. It was the best I could do. I agree that we need to change the way advertisement sees beauty!

message 4: by Pauline (new)

Georgette wrote: "I found one fantastic picture for my first book. I couldn't find any other cover pictures I really liked for my second book, so I chose a picture that only featured the model's face, which is also ..."

On my cover suggestions I said a full figured gal or the face of the model. I specificly said no skinny girl on the cover. For book two I'm going to request the same thing.

message 5: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Pauline wrote: "Georgette wrote: "...is trying to find good stock photos for my covers. I use sites like bigstockphoto, shutterstockphoto, etc. You can find a million pictures of beautiful, skinny models...but the..."

Thank goodness for imagination, huh? We can at least imagine them curvy!

message 6: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Georgette wrote: "I know! I may just do what other authors do, for my future covers - use a picture that features the hero rather than the heroine."

Ah yes, Georgette, well I never have an issue with a sexy man on the cover!! No issue at all. ;)

message 7: by Pauline (new)

Rosanna wrote: "Georgette wrote: "I know! I may just do what other authors do, for my future covers - use a picture that features the hero rather than the heroine."

Ah yes, Georgette, well I never have an issue w..."

I don't mind looking at some yummy eye candy, but I NEED to read in the blurb that the woman is curvy. I've bought books that I kinda thought, from the blurb, that the woman would be a little chubbier then to only be disappointed when I read how the hero picks her lithe body up and carries her to the bedroom. Make. Me. Puke! Push her soft curves against the wall, rub up against her, and stalk toward her, making her back up against the bed. Now we're cookin' with Crisco!

message 8: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Pauline wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Georgette wrote: "I know! I may just do what other authors do, for my future covers - use a picture that features the hero rather than the heroine."

Ah yes, Georgette, well I never..."

Haha! Maybe it just demonstrates the hero's supernatural strength Pauline! That's why I like pairing my curvies with immortals...they can still lift those girls and they feel like a feather! That's what I want...to not have to worry if my dude can throw me over his shoulder without getting a hernia.

message 9: by Pauline (new)

Rosanna wrote: "Pauline wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Georgette wrote: "I know! I may just do what other authors do, for my future covers - use a picture that features the hero rather than the heroine."

Ah yes, Georget..."

Oh Rosanna! Lol. I agree, we all could use a strong shifter in the bedroom. ;)

message 10: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Pauline wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Pauline wrote: "Rosanna wrote: "Georgette wrote: "I know! I may just do what other authors do, for my future covers - use a picture that features the hero rather than the heroine."
..."

LOL- one who has no problem "shifting" things!

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Richards (lynnrichards) | 38 comments I agree with Pauline, I HATE reading blurbs that "suggest" a curvy heroine and then in the middle she buys a size six dress!

As for the other comments:

Eye Candy UMMMM, Shifter eye candy, UMM,UMM, UMM

message 12: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Leo (rosanna_leo) Lynn wrote: "I agree with Pauline, I HATE reading blurbs that "suggest" a curvy heroine and then in the middle she buys a size six dress!

Eye Candy UMMMM, Shifter eye candy, UMM,UMM..."

Size 6?? Never been one of those! Haha.

message 13: by Pauline (new)

Rosanna wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I agree with Pauline, I HATE reading blurbs that "suggest" a curvy heroine and then in the middle she buys a size six dress!

Eye Candy UMMMM, Shifter eye c..."

I feel ya, Rosanna! I think I was birthed a size 6...maybe! lol.

message 14: by Pauline (new)

I'm writing this under this topic because I am a BBW author. :) It's not a pet peeve really, just a curiosity. Why are there so many BBW books out there about billionaires? I've finding that concept all over the place for the curvy heroine. Anyone got a clue as to the reason for this trend?

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Richards (lynnrichards) | 38 comments Pauline wrote: "I'm writing this under this topic because I am a BBW author. :) It's not a pet peeve really, just a curiosity. Why are there so many BBW books out there about billionaires? I've finding that concep..."

I agree with Georgette - because that's what readers seem to want. and as she said, as an erotica writer you can turn out shorter novels faster.

However, let's not forget that the theme of billionaire and the innocent virgin has been around since the first romance book was written - ever read a harliquin presents - always a rich, powerful man who wants to "dominant" his innoicent assistant.

What is fasinating is why one author's series is more successful than the another's. I do lots of research (I love to read) and most of the books are on the same level but one series just catches the eye of someone somewhere and it sky rockets to the top.

I do love office romance always have always will as a writer and a reader. What I really don't understand is the trend towards rock stars. Explain that to me - is that european theme that's crossed the ocean or what?

What do they say - write what you love and love what you write.

message 16: by Marianthi (new)

Marianthi Pauline wrote: "I'm writing this under this topic because I am a BBW author. :) It's not a pet peeve really, just a curiosity. Why are there so many BBW books out there about billionaires? I've finding that concep..."

I think it is the mindset that not only can a curvy woman get the guy, but she gets the guy that every model thin woman has tried to bag for herself. They are giving a HEA to the extreme. It is the assumption that the readers want to see a "Prince Charming" not the guy who works at the local fast food shop.

message 17: by Pauline (last edited Mar 17, 2013 03:31PM) (new)

I get the concept of the billionaire being a dominant, strong hero. I also totally see how it's appealing for the BBW to get her HEA that all the skinny girls get to have. However, I want something different. I want the hero who is struggling. The BBW who sees his potentional and helps him overcome the greatest odds. Don't get me wrong. I love a rich hero, but I want the poor tragedy that got him there. 50 SOG popularity baffles me. I haven't read the series, I think I'm the only one, because I already have my favorite BDSM authors that I frequent. Not that the series is bad and it has opened the door for mainstream awareness in hotter romances, but at what cost? Just like twilight saturated the market with every knock off known to man, is this what 50 is going to do? I agree, the quality of writing is all over the place because these books are being spun out at a lightening pace to catch the ride. But, it's at a cost. Now, everyone asks me, "Oh you write like the 50 Shades of Grey books?" I tell them no. Even though Gilded Lily is a heavy BDSM book. I write for my muse, The Story of O. I want the psychology of the D/s relationship. I fear that many of the books being mass produced are lacking that aspect for the shock value. These are totally just my opinions. As for the billionaire books I'm just glad to see more BBW titles hitting the shelves. The paranormal genre will be the exciting next step in the push to get heroines that the average woman can relate to. Hell, I'd give my left arm for a strong wolfie to warm my bed. ;)

message 18: by Pauline (new)

I totally agree. There is such a wide spectrum of BDSM erotica and erotic romance. I wonder why this particular series caught everyone's attention.

message 19: by Aubrey (last edited Mar 19, 2013 10:29AM) (new)

Aubrey Watt | 7 comments Ah, Georgette, I just finished the first in my new BBW series and I had a hell of time finding a model for my cover. I ended up with this after a lot of photoshop work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUBSBSQ

But check out the image it came from (and she's STILL not "big" after the photoshopping):

ARGHGHGHH! If someone actually did a photo shoot with normal-sized women in sexy clothes, I would throw so much money at them....

message 20: by Pauline (new)

That looks great!!!!

message 21: by Pauline (new)

I think the thighs give a great illusion to what the rest of her body looks like. It leaves it up to me to outline how I want her to look. I think it's a great concept.

message 22: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey Watt | 7 comments Thanks, it was hard to find a stock image that would work well, but I think the whole sexy legs thing is a good alternative (like Jasinda Wilder's covers). If you gals ever have a image that needs a little bulking with photoshop, just message me - I'd be happy to help out!

And yeah, I just NEEDED a redhead for my story :3