The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Do you ever read book reviews?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy (last edited Mar 09, 2013 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daisy So I have a book review website, but I don't really read reviews... does anyone? Am i wasting my time?
BTW my blog is midnightreadsreviews.blogspot.ca
Please check it out! I will love you forever!

Tamanna It depends! For me if I feel like a book does not really suit my liking then I read the reviews but if its something I am confident about then I don't bother! I don't think you are wasting your time :) But at the same time keep in mind that not everyone will have the same taste so you might like something that has got the worst of worst reviews :) Try different genres and see what suits you the best! Good luck!

Daisy Tamanna wrote: "It depends! For me if I feel like a book does not really suit my liking then I read the reviews but if its something I am confident about then I don't bother! I don't think you are wasting your tim..."

thanks! :D

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I read book reviews but I keep the opinions in perspective. I've found that over the years a few of the books I really enjoyed were seriously panned by many reviewers. If I'd followed the recommendations of those reviewers I would have missed out on some entertaining reading.

Izzy Daisy wrote: "So I have a book review website, but I don't really read reviews... does anyone? Am i wasting my time?
BTW my blog is midnightreadsreviews.blogspot.ca
Please check it out! I will love you forever!"

So I'm writing a book but I've never really read a book before. I mean, you don't have to read a book in order to write one.

If I was to say this to you, I'm pretty sure that you would slap me. If you have a book review website then you should be reading book reviews. It doesn't matter if you like or dislike the book, review or the reviewer, you should still be reading book reviews.
Why? Well, I guess you would call it research in a way. By reading reviews you improve your own writing, learn what works in a review, what doesn't work in a review and how to develop your own "style" when it comes to reviewing books. It also gives you an opportunity to network and get your name out there.
So yes, I'm of a firm believer that if you're writing book reviews then you should be reading book reviews. Do I read books reviews/book review blogs? Love them to pieces. It's another way for me to discover new books, new people and to listen to other people about how they felt about the book.

Are you wasting your time? I don't know. It depends on why you're doing this. If you like doing book reviews then you're not wasting your time now, are you? You're doing what you love so where is the problem? If you're doing book reviews purely in the hope of being an internet hit in the matter of days then maybe you need to rethink this plan of yours.

Lisa I love to read reviews but I rarely agree with them so I don't know why I bother ha ha! I guess I just like to read other people's opinions even if they're different to mine.

Kirby I will usually look at ratings before I read a book, but I rarely ever read reviews until after I've finished it. I like them for different reasons- some of them are funny, some point out things I didn't notice, some eloquently mention thoughts that I had while reading the book...so, anyway- yeah, I like to read reviews.

message 8: by Redd (new) - added it

Redd Kaiman It has to be interesting.

Doesn't hurt to change topic from time to time too.

Do you want to review my book: http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Ter...

Check out my webcomic too: http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/2013/0...