Meet Omnium Gatherum Authors discussion

Inspirational Quotes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Jonez (katejonez) | 37 comments Mod
I love a good quote. A well turned phrase that encompasses more than at first it appears to is such a pleasure. This quote sums up a theme I return to often in my writing. What are your favorite quotes?

From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.--Kafka

In The Trial Josef K. finds himself accused of a crime. He never finds out what it is. This quote refers to the point when authority and society in general decides to reject an individual. It seems like a plea to just get it over with because the fact that society ever accepted Josef K. was a lie all along. That's an interesting thought, but the reason I love this quote is because of the way Paul Bowles used it to introduce The Sheltering Sky. In the context of Bowles' story it refers to the thought, word or action from which there is no turning back. I'm fascinated by those crucial moments that change the present into the unchangeable past.

message 2: by Dean (new)

Dean | 4 comments Though I'm not a big Hemingway fan, I keep this quote in mind whenever working on a new story:

"The first draft of anything is always sh*t."--Ernest Hemingway.

I'm sure there are better quotes out there, but this one I find helpful. It's an honest statement. Short, simple, and to the point. It reminds me that there is no such thing as a perfect draft, so just sit down and write.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 3 comments Found this one in Philip K Dick's "The Transmigration of Timothy Archer."

"Emily Dickinson was full of shit when she prattled about a 'kindly death.' That's an abominable thought, that death is kind. She never saw a six-car pile-up on the Eastshore Freeway. Art, like theology, is packaged fraud. Downstairs the people are fighting while I look fior God in a reference book."

message 4: by Brent (new)

Brent Kelley | 20 comments Terence McKenna has some thoughts on artists and creativity that I like to ponder.

"The artist’s task is to save the soul of mankind; and anything less is a dithering while Rome burns. Because of the artists, who are self-selected, for being able to journey into the Other, if the artists cannot find the way, then the way cannot be found."

message 5: by Neil (new)

Neil Davies (nwdavies) | 3 comments I'm not as deep as others here I guess. No idea who said it originally, but for many years I've found the quote "Life's a bitch and then you die" to be helpful in getting through my worst days. I never claimed to be an optimist :)

message 6: by Brent (new)

Brent Kelley | 20 comments Here's a quote that has stuck with me:
"Can I borrow a nightmare?"

The context: A friend of mine was sitting on the sidewalk outside a bar in downtown Minneapolis having a cigarette one evening. A homeless man stumbled up to him, asked "Can I borrow a nightmare?", and disappeared into the night. I love everything about that.

message 7: by Johnny (new)

Johnny Worthen | 2 comments “Write drunk; edit sober.”
— Ernest Hemingway.

message 8: by John (new)

John Smith (johnclaude) | 10 comments "I forbid my mind nothing."
--Clive Barker.

This is the way we should always think when approaching our writing. ;-)

message 9: by S.P. (new)

S.P. | 3 comments "If, after spending time with a person, you feel as though you've lost a quart of plasma, avoid that person in the future."

- William S. Burroughs