Q&A for Paula Lofting - Author of Sons of the Wolf discussion

Women in Anglo Saxon times

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (paulalofting) | 21 comments Mod
Ok, seeing as a lot of you are shy, I thought i'd start a discussion about the lives of women in Anglo Saxon times. Were they efficient, cultured, intelligent and clever? Or were they just pawns in a game played mostly by men?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I believe and I could be wrong, that women of different classes then were educated to the extent that was allowed for their station. And I do believe they were pawns as well by men.

But at times I think there was the exception. Very few though....Many probably would hide the fact that they could read.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Belfrage | 2 comments I believe Anglo-Saxon women had a lot of similarities with Norsemen women. These were tough ladies who could manage huge landholdings, business ventures and large broods of children. In some aspects women - and especially those of noble birth - could be pawns, but at least in the Scandinavian society women had a voice, and were allowed to raise it when the matters discussed affected them. As to intelligence, why would they be any less smarter than us? Less educated, definitely, but then they lived in a time in which the horizons were so much closer, so much more restrictive.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Anna wrote: "I believe Anglo-Saxon women had a lot of similarities with Norsemen women. These were tough ladies who could manage huge landholdings, business ventures and large broods of children. In some aspect..."

In the period i write in,a lot of lay women were educated in nunneries. Edith, Godwin's daughter, wife of the Confessor could speak about 8 languages! I'd say that was pretty well educated! Yes women in England during this time were certainly very independent, holding their own with their husbands and could own their own property and land aside from their husband. There were also laws that protected women from forced marriage and rape.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Stephanie wrote: "I believe and I could be wrong, that women of different classes then were educated to the extent that was allowed for their station. And I do believe they were pawns as well by men.

But at times I..."

Women were literate and noble women were just as entitled to be educated as men were.Many women were educated by nuns who were very well educated themselves. This was good time to be a woman in medieval society, there were laws that protected them from forced marriage and rape.

Q&A for Paula Lofting - Author of Sons of the Wolf

unread topics | mark unread