Q&A for Paula Lofting - Author of Sons of the Wolf discussion

Women in Anglo Saxon times

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (paulalofting) | 21 comments Mod
Ok, seeing as a lot of you are shy, I thought i'd start a discussion about the lives of women in Anglo Saxon times. Were they efficient, cultured, intelligent and clever? Or were they just pawns in a game played mostly by men?

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen I think they were both pawns and clever.. Anglo Saxon women supposedly could conduct business if they were unmarried..

I have been reading a lot about Peaceweavers and some displayed more efficiency than their husbands and sons. Emma of Normandy and Eadgyth Harold's wife and Margaret of Scotland all spring to mind..

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula Lofting (paulalofting) | 21 comments Mod
Kathleen wrote: "I think they were both pawns and clever.. Anglo Saxon women supposedly could conduct business if they were unmarried..

I have been reading a lot about Peaceweavers and some displayed more efficie..."

Its interesting to know that English women before the conquest were protected by many laws prohibiting forced marriages and assaults on women. Widows too were protected. And many wills of women showed that they could own land of their own, even if they were married, and leave it to who ever they so wished.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul | 1 comments I'd like to read the book first.....

Q&A for Paula Lofting - Author of Sons of the Wolf

unread topics | mark unread