Short Story Contests discussion

Weekly Contests > Week 23 (Mar. 30 - April 4) DONE

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Arthur | 554 comments Mod
Instructions:
Please do not use a story previously used on goodreads. After the week's contest, you are welcome to put it on your profile writings, but please refrain from using stories you have already put on there.

You have until Saturday afternoon to post a story on here. Please post it directly onto this topic, rather than posting a link. Also, please do not discuss stories on here. You must go to Weekly Short Story Contest Discussion for that. This will avoid any clutter and confusion, so that people can simply come on here and read the story, without having to read comments on the story.

This week's Topic is blood. If anyone has any objections to this topic, please go to the Objections post. The rules are pretty loose. You could write about any kinship, hunting, or the blood pressure (red fluid in body), anything just have the word blood in the story.

Weekly stories must be at least 500 words long to 2,500 words long. (if the whole story won't fit in one post, divide it into two)

Good luck!

Arthur, [acting for Clare:]

P.S. PLEASE say if you would like to have your story on Short Story Galore, if you win. This way it wouldn't take me ages to get your consent afterwards. This includes adding a link to your stories. If you want to have your story on the Short Story Galore, but not the link, just say so.

message 2: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments hmmm, interesting

message 3: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments oooh blood.... :D

message 4: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments it's so purdy isn't it?

well thay was wierd, sorry

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't do a word count, but it looks over 200 to me, and can't possibly be over the max.

message 6: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

any title?

message 7: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 311 comments Wait hasn't this story been posted before?

message 8: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments week twelve >.<

message 9: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

I don't think she wants to resubmit. I think maybe post to comment on it.

message 10: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune hmmm, I think we will have no poll this week. No, I don't believe that double posting stories should be allowed. Once posted, you have to stick that that week, whether it won or not. Well since we have no other stories, I guess we'll just have to wing it this week. I'll post a new topic on Monday, and hopefully will be able to write next week.

message 11: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Oh gosh, my whole perception of time is all messed up. I thought it was saturday!! So yes, we will have a poll if more ppl write before tomorrow.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah its only 259 words but it was the best I could do, I have a lot of other things on my mind, if I win you can put this on the website.

I sat in the chair shaking violently. Tears leaked down my cheeks. I hated life so badly at the moment. My heart beat hard and loudly in my chest. The nurse came into the room. She looked bored at what she had to do. Dully she asked for my arm. Rapidly I shook my head as more tears rolled down my freckle-splashed cheeks.

“I need your arm honey.” She said forcefully. My mother looked up from her magazine and sighed she reached for my hand and gripped in hers.

“Give the nurse your hand Becca.” She said looking at me heavily.

“N-n-no,” I said unable to see clearly through my tear-infested eyes. “Y-y-y-you don’t unders-s-stand.”

No one understood. Blood, veins, needles. It all made me gag and want to crawl into a corner and lay there for all eternity. It was sick and disgusting how could anyone want to poke someone in an uncomfortable place just for a speck of blood. Couldn’t they use saliva, or something else?

Then before I knew it the woman grabbed my arm and nearly yanked it out of its socket. Then I felt a needle slide into my skin. I screamed loudly but couldn’t move the nurse was lying on top of me to keep me still. My mom was somewhere just stroking my hair saying its ok, its ok.

But know it wasn’t. I felt the blood pulsing out of my body into a tube. Weakness began to over come me. I saw blackness around my eyes and dipped away to nothingness.

message 13: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

~Clare~ wrote: "Oh gosh, my whole perception of time is all messed up. I thought it was saturday!! So yes, we will have a poll if more ppl write before tomorrow."

I hype to finish my story before Saturday morning. It's a big mess right now, written on separate sheets of paper.

message 14: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

Name: Bad Batty
Words: 997
Genre: fiction/reference: Bram Stoker
By: Arthur
Notes: Double-jeez.

Bad Batty

Bloody. Bloody. Bloody. Johnathan Harker would have called this the moment of seeing Dracula. Lady Lucy Westerna would have fainted strictly speaking. Never mind mere reaction of any by the likes of John Seward, Quincy Morris, Arthur Holmwood or Abraham Van Helsing. We saw bats!

There was a flat area of grass near the house under the big hickory tree. Math, Soldier and Allusion propped up their summer’s tent there in Math’s backyard.
If anything the tree reminded the boys of the air-refresher Math’s father always used in the car they all had been in after their baseball practices.
They were next seen carrying in a night worth of food.
About the property of Math’s backyard there had been a fence with wall-to-wall climbing plants and his mother’s flowers. Growing and living samples from different parts of the world Math’s mother explains this is the horticulture making home one of leisure. They are just simple forms of their small plots of land or vegetables, in gardens or greenhouses.
Math brought out his comic books. He had a long list he wanted to bring down from his room but he took his favorites he will share. They crowded around the lantern operated on batteries. Light spilled over a pile of comics. Math had anxious hands to handle the first.

Soldier’s watch had said it was ten. Way past a boy’s normal bedtime. Listening to Math and the comic books had done its trick of making Soldier sleepy. It was getting late. He began yawning.
Then Soldiers eyes were feeling heavy and occasionally were drooping. The next time he looked at his wristwatch it had budged one minute past ten. Anxiety.
Allusion crouched against a rolled up section of his sleeping bag. It was big and heavy and he had his pillow already stuck inside it. He moved far to one side leaning out while still in his bag. He had flattened popped corn kernels spill out from the open zipper of his sleeping bag. He could hear a slight crinkling noise from an empty potato flavor chip bag under him.
He almost seemed to stop in motion. He was trying to concentrate on Math and the strangeness of sleeping in his tent late at night; even though they were just outside a house.
The discussions had switched from war stories to Tron to Super League. Back to Looney Tunes and now and again to comic Daffy Duck. Daffy was in a haunted house. His story spoke for itself. Really there were no such things as vampires. Although Daffy was really a duck even if his feather were smooth as ink and even if he was a carton. But most everything else didn’t have that much more realism.

Math had remembered to bring his favorite comic. It was on the bottom. A half full moon shone a bright casting light through the tent nylon. The crickets chirped and quietly died. Then a cat somersaulted somewhere across the backyard lawn disappearing into the night. The evening’s noise around the backyard deadened to stillness in the tent. Even Soldier lay still. Probably fallen asleep. Math had to bring out his favorite comic. It was none other than a piece of resistance. The man called Morbius.
The comic book looked like it had been worn thin on the edges. A second hand copy no doubt. A very old issue in an old series before they were born. The story had taken sudden shape to appear written about true events of history. There was a gallant looking man perhaps he was a Viking or Nordic with a pretty woman lying below the shaded forest of a toppled over hallow tree. They were obviously talking of romance. They were suddenly interrupted. They hadn’t then lasted much longer because the man called Moribus ate them as do all vampires; they wilily drain blood from their willy-nilly victims.

Allusion didn’t mean to interrupt Math’s retelling of the slain likeness of the Viking character in the story, but he kept hearing strange screeching noises outside for a while. Could it have been a stranded dog off a leash and lost nearby as he first presumed? It had gotten clearer or closer since the crickets stopped suddenly.
The screeching was clearer and was very eerie while making Allusion uncomfortable. It now sounded totally different. It hadn’t sounded like screams before but now it suddenly did.
Both Math and Allusion looked bewildered towards each other. Math’s heart began racing. They popped there heads outside of the tent and saw the screeching came from flying bats overhead.
They rushed to the end of the backyard and climbed up a post of the fence to get a better look. They could hear the screaming. Math’s bracelet made a clinking noise against the metal fencing. The medical bracelet he wears to warn of his asthma.
He had to wear a medical bracelet. It was the reason he was only allowed to camp outside if he had been with friends. Now he found he was looking over the tall fence and could see the neighboring house. He could see a house and a falling wall of nylon like their tent but collapsing. In the terror stricken moments he could also see the girls racing around in their pajamas in a panic. They put out a Hitachi BBQ, the smoke and smolder rolled into the night air. The next door must have lit it to roast marshmallows in midnight.
Math then recognized one of the running girls. She was stopping to take down a telescope from its tripod and packing it into a bag. There were enormous bats screeching in the air above them. bats attempting to fly from tree to another. The newborn bats thinking they were birds and with the half moon brightness had made them easily visible. And half moon estranged.

I hope I’m not scaring you with my story, but that’s all I have of it. The End

message 15: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments Title: Full Moon
Author: Sunny
Words: 559
Notes: It's not that great I was in a hurry so...

I stood in the dark on our lawn, waiting. Waiting for the moon to appear.

Suddenly I ducked into the bushes along side our house, I had felt the tingling in my hands and feet. The tingling meant that the full moon was about to rise.

Stripping off my shorts and t-shirt I stood waiting for the transformation to take place. I didn’t have to wait long, within a minute it started. I was pulled to the ground as my legs changed, my skull morphed and thick fur sprouted all over my body. By the time it was over I was a large grey wolf.

I ran through parks and the neighbor’s yards to avoid being seen and soon I was out of Los Angeles. Tonight I wanted to be alone. Los Angeles had several large packs of werewolves so it was nearly impossible to not run into them on full moon and I had no wish to. If I met werewolves from a different pack there surely would be bloodshed, I didn’t want any more lives on my hands.

I had run along the beach for several miles, until I couldn’t smell humans or other wolves, and I finally stopped.

Listening to the waves was relaxing. I lay down, careful of the large scar on my hind leg. That scare was why I was a werewolf.

Over a year ago I had started dating Scott, the new boy at school. Scott was tall, gorgeous and just my type. At first it seemed perfect, then after several weeks Scott became possessive, wanting to know where I had been and who I had been with. He became jealous if I talked to any other boys and often threatened me.

I finally left him after he hit me. But Scott wouldn’t leave me alone; he followed me after school and sent me several emails a day.

When I started dating Cori, Scott quit harassing me and I thought he had finally given up, but then one day I was walking home after dark and I took a shortcut through an alleyway.

Scott had been waiting for me in a doorway, “Hello Jamie,” he had said and suddenly Scott was gone and a black wolf stood in his place. I bolted but the wolf was much faster and it bit my calf. I fell, feeling the hot rivers of blood running down my leg, and then I passed out.

I woke up in a hospital room surrounded by nurse and doctors with my parents hovering behind them. I lied and told them I couldn’t remember how I had gotten hurt. That seemed to worry them even more and they told me that a dog had bitten me.

The wound had taken far to long to heal and I hadn’t been able to walk on it for several weeks, but it finally healed.

On the next full moon I had transformed. I immediately realized what had happened and I realized why Scott had done it. I wasn’t safe to be around. I had had to break up with Cori.

So, in the end, one bad boyfriend had changed my life forever. I had no human friends any more, it was too dangerous for them; I had developed a taste for blood, both werewolf and human.

message 16: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments jeez, i keep forget ing to do this! if i win i'd like my story to go on short stories galore, thanx!

message 17: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

No more stories for this week. You all can now vote at the contest poll.

Don't forget to visit Weekly Topic Suggestions with suggestions. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 18: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

If you still wanted a story posted, check out the two week contests.

message 19: by Olivia, summer (new)

Olivia (livibooks3) | 229 comments Mod
cool story sunny

message 20: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

I loved 'Full Moon' it reminded me of Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (

message 21: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune gahhh Im soooo sorry!!! such a BUSY week!!! 2 plays and a karate test! It's finally over. I am SOOOO going to write a story this week!

message 22: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune Good job Arthur!

message 23: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune They were all very good!

message 24: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune hey, arthur, you want it on the S.S.G. site, right?

message 25: by ~Sunny~ (new)

~Sunny~ | 207 comments congrats arthor!!

message 26: by Arthur, Live a little Give a lot (new)

*takes a bow*
Yes please, post 'er up on S.S.G.

message 27: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 306 comments ooh congratulations!! :D

message 28: by Clare D' Lune (new)

Clare D' Lune cool will do!