Writers Wanted!!! discussion

horror help

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (robin10hood) howdy, guys. in one of my classes i'm writing a horror story, and was wondering if any of you had advice to spice things up a bit. i will take anything you've got, but any insights on how to scare my reader, as well as anything that you tink is scary would be particularly welcome.

the deal is that this girl is going babysitting and there are all these wierd noises adn such, eventually the children go missing, the parents never come home, and at the very end, something comes and destroys the main character. it's just in a regular house, under pretty normal circumstances. (except for the entire horror thing)

i think pretty much any random comment can help me, so don't be shy!!

thanx

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Maybe the house could have a history. Maybe it could be where the house used to be a mental institution and a time where the doctors made their patients crazy on purpose. Maybe it could be the patients getting their revenge or something. I don't read horror books but its an idea..lol. Hopes this helps.

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (robin10hood) good idea, ashley. that's usually a common horror element. i thought about that, but this is a short story/freak accident, so i dont think i'll include that. besides, i enjoy thinking out of the box. (i once wrote a ghost story through the eyes of the ghost!)

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) You could have her hear a short tale about other babysitters who have died. All of them die in different ways, but they all have the same mark on their bodies somewhere.
Or how about the family are ghosts or monsters in disguise, or maybe they turn into poisonous snakes and bite the babysitter and that is how she dies.

message 5: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (robin10hood) woah!! i like that!!
im definitely gonna use that!
thanx!

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat (aliceinlove) | 32 comments Mod
this is just me but you could maybe have a "normal/ likeable" neighbor who pops in and out of the story but he's the one who's taken the parents and killed them then the children then eventually the main character. People are scared to death of the secrects behind our neighbor's closed doors. i mean how well do you know some people, even the one's who you've known for years. you could also kill them with their worst fears if you like. but that's just m suggestion you can take it for use or not.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

In my opinion, how about this...

Have the character stalked by an invisable assailant which turns out to be the ghost of the previous owner who died under mysterious circumstances(add backstory ie, murdered suicide etc.). The ghost leads the main character to a special room in the house where the deed was done and there have some kind of climactic "battle" and if the main character looses, then he/she is killed.

Or something like that....

message 8: by BookWorm (new)

BookWorm | 1 comments i think that plot has been done alot of times. try having the babysitter be the one who makes the kids "go missing" she could have a multipule personality disorder and she doesnt even know it.