Debate discussion

Politics > Should the government legalize Marijuana?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 529 (529 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments SOME PEOPLE FEEL THAT LEGALIZING POT WOULD HELP THE ECONOMY AND LOWER THE CRIMES RATE. I would have to say WE SHOULD NOT LEGALIZE IT.
1) the constition says that the goverment has to protect its people, legalizing pot would not be protecting the people.
2) iTS THE SLIPPERY SLOPE IF WE LEGALIZE POT WUTZ NEXT?
3) MANY PEOPLE ALREADY SMOKE POT THESE PEOPLE WOULD GET THE IDEA THAT THE REASON IT WAS LEGALIZED WAS BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE DOING IT ANYWAY. aND THEN WHENEVER PPL WONT SOMTHING TO BE LEGALIZED THEY WILL JUST START DOING IT.
4) POT IS NOT ONLY A DANGER TO THE PERSON DOING IT, IT IS A DANGER TO THE PEOPLE AROUND THAT PERSON. WE CAN NOT LEGALIZE SOMTHING THAT PUTS OUR PEOPLE IN DANGER.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments No. Absolutely not. I have no reasoning except that your body was not designed to inhale smoke. More people would get sick and die. So..no.

message 3: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments I think that the government actually SHOULD legalize Marijuana. Marijuana like anything else in the world, can be harmful if abused, but right now the drug cartels in mexico are maxing a LOT of money off of drugs, through Marijuana. The only way to stop the problem would be to tax and legalize it.

Pot does not kill people. Not from overdose at least, but why worry about lung cancer now? I mean cigaretts are legal; But you simply cannot overdose on Marijuana. Like Kat William once said
"you might think hes dead! he aint dead! he gunne wake up i 25 minutes hungry ebough to eat up everything in yo damn fridge". Hahahaha.

But seriously. Compared to other illegal substances, Marijuana shouldn't even be called a drug!

And by legalizing it, they aren't making it where young kids are goign to use it! They will set an age, maybe 21 and tax it! Yes Marijuana messes with your Judgment, reflexes and motor skills. is it any worse than alcohol? It doesn't kill your liver, thats for sure. Alcohol is actually a hell of a lot more dangerous than Marijuana. Marijuana wont be like some freebee narcotic if it is legalized. It will be like cigaretts, alcohol and other things that are just as bad for people (if not worse), except you wont go to jail if you smoke it.

ps i dont smoke weed....never have, and wont until im adult just in case you were wonderingz...

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments BUT THE US GOVERMENT IS SUPPOSED TO PROTECT ITS PEOPLE. I UNDERSTAND WE ARE IN DEBT RIGHT NOW AND COULD USE THE MONEY, BUT THAT WOULD BE PTTING THE MONEY OVER THE PEOPLE.
Compared to other illegal substances, Marijuana

shouldn't even be called a drug! i DONT AGREE WITH THIS STATMENT, ANY DRUG IS A DRUG. IT IS ADICTING AND HOOKS PEOPLE ON IT CAUSING LUNG CACNER AND OTHER ILLNESSES. IT STATES IN THE CONSTITION THE THE US GOVERMENTI IS TO PROTECT ITS PEOPLE. ETTING PEOPLE SMOKE AND GET LUNG CANCER IS NOT PROTECTING IT PEOPLE! I HONOSTLY FEEL THAT ALL FORMS OF SMOKING SHOULD BE ILGAL AS WELL AS ALCOHOLE. IT PUTS A DANGER NOT ONLY TO THE PERSON TAKING IT BUT TO THE PEOPLE AROUND THEM.
YOU CAN NOT SAY THAT IT IS TAKEN AWAY FREEDOMES TO MAKE SMOKING AND ALCOLHOL ILIGAL. YOU MAY THINK IT IS, YOU MAY THINK A PERSON SHOULD BE ABLE TO SMOKE OR DRINK IF THEY WONT TO AND NOT LETTING THEM IS ENFRINGING ON THERE RIGHTS. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE THEY KILL AS A RESULT TO THERE SMOKING OR THERE DRINKING? DONT THOSE PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIFE?

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments why are you talking in CAPS by the way..

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments srry i keep clicking caps lock.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments lol it's ok. i don't mind, i was just wondering.

message 8: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments That was hard to understand but, pot really is not a bad drug. Its addictive only mentally, not physically and it causes lung cancer, JUST like cigaretts.

uh, yeah i think people should be able to smoke and drink. hell, its not good, but people need to have a right over their own bodies, and if you think differently your in the wrong country in the wrong century (assuming your in America and that your not from the past...)

Yes people do very horrible things whilst under the influence of Alcohol, and sometimes Pot. usually when someones high on pot, they tend to fall asleep, laugh and eat. Not kill their wives as the case usually is with Alcohol.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments Yes and as I said they should make make it all iligal. The constition says the the goverment has to protect its people, and allowing people to have adicting substances it not protecting the people.

message 10: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Spelling, please.

And alcohol has been around since before europe stumbled across the americas, no one is going to make that illegal, and if they do--no one's going to stop drinking it. No ones going to stop smoking, seeing as that goes back way into history too. And no one is going to stop smoking pot, or using pot for medical reasons (which is its actual purpose).

message 11: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments The abolitionist movement. It didn't work and increased crime rate. So maybe with the legalizing of pot the crime rate will decrease.

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments That may happen however the death rate will increase

message 13: by Emily (last edited Mar 30, 2009 01:17PM) (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments Also, the mind and body cannot handle marijuana and is effected in many major ways

http://teens.drugabuse.gov/mom/mom_mj...

http://drugpubs.drugabuse.gov/

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments Chandani wrote: "Spelling, please.

And alcohol has been around since before europe stumbled across the americas, no one is going to make that illegal, and if they do--no one's going to stop drinking it. No ones g..."

yeah, i know it wouldn't work now but they never should have made all this stuff legal in the first place. I mean it may not have stopped people but i'm sure we would see much less of it

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz I agree with Chandani, surprisingly. She has got it spot on. it isn't all that harmful and can be used medicinally (to help chemo patients recover, even). We spend so much time and money and energy arresting people for use of something that isn't all that detrimental whioch seems kind of pointless.

message 16: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 544 comments I think it should be legal for MEDICINAL USE ONLY!

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments I agree Seth...and why are we saying Medicinal? why not just say medical? lol

message 18: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 544 comments Because my brother corrected me last time I said it >.< but yeah i think it should be legal everywhere for medicinal use. but not other use >.<

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments lol wow...and yeah i still agree. oh and the doctor/nurse would have to give an oath not to fall under the pressure or manipulation of a patient to give them more

message 20: by Seth (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 544 comments oh, of course.

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments Yup :)

message 22: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Agree with Chandani and Liz.

message 23: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments Chandani wrote: "That was hard to understand but, pot really is not a bad drug. Its addictive only mentally, not physically and it causes lung cancer, JUST like cigaretts.

uh, yeah i think people should be able t..."

BUT IT DOES NOT JUST EFFECT THE PEOPLE WHO DO IT. WHEN SOMEONE IS UNDER THE INFLUENCE THEY CAN BADLY INGURE AND EVAN KILL OTHERS WHO HAVE THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO LIFE!! THERE IS NO WAY THE ANY COUNTRY CAN EVER BE TOTALLY FREE.

message 24: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments I MEAN I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND UR POINT, IT IS LIMETING THE FREEDOM OF THE PEOPLE. BUT THERE IS NO ANY COUNTRY CAN EVER BE TOTALLY FREE. WE HAVE LAWS TO PROTECT OUR PEOPLE. LEGALIZING POT WOULD PUT THE PEOPLE OF AMERICA IN DANGER.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat wrote: " POT IS NOT ONLY A DANGER TO THE PERSON DOING IT, IT IS A DANGER TO THE PEOPLE AROUND THAT PERSON. WE CAN NOT LEGALIZE SOMTHING THAT PUTS OUR PEOPLE IN DANGER..."

There are a lot of LEGAL items for consumers that are dangerous. Sure, the government should protect its people, but you should know that when MONEY is involved, a person's health really doesn't matter.

Besides, the earth gives us marijuana right? We might as well use it.

This reminds me of a Two and a Half Men episode I saw a while back. Charlie says to his nephew, "Don't drink unless you can afford to lose some brain cells."

Haha, that pretty much goes for drugs also.

message 26: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Pot doesn't get you angry... That alcohol. Somebody doesn't know their drugs...

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz Kat, please chill with the caps, I can barely read your posts. How would legalizing pot put the lives of the american people in danger? When marijuana users are under the influence they can kill others and are reckless? I think you are confusing pot with alcohol. The effects from marijuana are actually much more mild and not as severe as they preach in schools. I kind of feel like our youth is brainwashed into believing all drugs are bad just because educators don't want them to be using drugs.

message 28: by Tree (new)

Tree (onehopelesshero) I agree with Kat. I'm sorry but legalizing pot wouldn't help anyone except those who are hopelessly addicted to it. Marijana has some of the same effects as alcohol in that it impares judgement and reflexs. We're talking about a whole new set of traffic laws not to mention the increase in collusions due to impared judegement and reflex. Plus its a burden to teh community. I find it hard to work with people who have been smokeing pot. The smell is overvearing, foul, and makes me feel ill. A lot of people have health conditions effected by smoke imagine how they will be effected by marijana smoke. Plus think of the environment. With this new, go green movement, do we really want to make it worseby adding marijana smoke to teh air. Kids might encounter it and be effected. Asthma will go through the roof. And it may help teh economyy a little bit by slapping on a tax and legalizing it. But really all that we are going to do is create a number of multi billion dollar companies in America that will be selling pot to our kids. And, Kat is right. Its a slippery slope argument. Its like giving into a kid whos whining for candy. Once they see they can get what they want if they just do it, regardless of legality, they wont hesitate to do that in the future with crack and coke and meth and other serriously harmful drugs. There will still be an illegal underground of sorts that sells pot because people wont want to pay for the high prices and kids will want to try it now verses waiting to turn twenty one. In short drugs are bad. They effect our lives, jobs, family, neighbors, environment and our societys. There are not nearly enough positive to support legalizing something so harmful.

message 29: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments I dunno...it's one of them things I don't know much about. But meh aunt smokes pot and she is MESSED UP! She also smokes cigarettes and drinks...so that could add to it. Plus she was a mentally diseased young man's girlfriend.

So I don't know how much is pot.

message 30: by Chandani (last edited Mar 31, 2009 09:21PM) (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Kat wrote: "Chandani wrote: "That was hard to understand but, pot really is not a bad drug. Its addictive only mentally, not physically and it causes lung cancer, JUST like cigaretts.

uh, yeah i think peo..."

Um no. You obviously have never smoked a joint Kat, pot does not make you want to kill people. It makes you lethargic, tired and hungry. Harmless compared to things that ARE legal these days.

we have to think of it in the bigger picture in the benifit of the country!! If pot is legalized, the crime rate will by no doubt drop!

People have been saying that teh death rate will go up if its legalized. No!! This will not affect demographics in any signifigant way.

I personally have never smoked pot, but i've been around people when they are high, a lot of my friends smoke, i just haven't. When Sam and June light up a joing they dont start twitching and wanting to kill people. Their eyes droop, they laugh and then they buy a bag of chips.

And about the slowing of reflexes, and judgement, its not nearly as bad as alcohol. Alcohol sparks violent tendencies, whereas pot really does the opposite. If you ever felt like hurting someone, pot and bob marley are an alternative way to calm down.
Were not talkign about heroin, Cocaine or any other kind of drug that should never be legalized. EVER. We are talking about an herb which has been used for hundred of years to stop pain, calm people down and even used in religious gatherings.

Also about kids wanting to try it, kids want to try it more because its illegal! Thats the whole fun part, breaking the law. Making it legal would probably reduce the amount of young people wanting to smoke.

Oh and about the end of Petrinas post, its really not harmful in anyway thats not already legal.

message 31: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments lad idah.

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz The smell is overvearing, foul, and makes me feel ill.

I can agree with that, but hte rest of your post I disagree with. I don't think you have ever smoked pot because then you would know that the effects on your health are not very significant. I would say pot, in general, is less harmful than cigarettes and nicotine, which is legal and thriving.

If you will notice, in Amsterdam pot is legal and they have avery safe society with lower arrest and crime rates.

message 33: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments I love Amsterdam. Everyone there is so like, philosophical. I actually think pot makes you think really abstract and whatnot.

message 34: by Tree (new)

Tree (onehopelesshero) Liz - its true i've never smoked pot or done any kind of drug. My CO (commanding officer) would kill me.

Maria & Liz - I might go to Amsterdam for AIT (job training) if I get the MOS (job) I want when I commision. Least ways that where I hear all MP (military police) get sent. I'm really looking foward to it! :)

message 35: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments Chandani wrote: "Kat wrote: "Chandani wrote: "That was hard to understand but, pot really is not a bad drug. Its addictive only mentally, not physically and it causes lung cancer, JUST like cigaretts.

uh, yeah i..."

I'm not saying it makes you wont to kill people, but it impares ur judgement. If ur on pot and u get behind the wheel u could easily kill someone.

message 36: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments yeah the crime rate would drop with we legalized everything. making something legal to lower the crime rate makes no difference in the country it just makes it so the people who do it dont get charged.

message 37: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments Chadani, u say that kids are more tempted to smoke pot because it is ilegal, so if we legalize pot wouldn't u agree that kids would be less tempeted to do pot and more tempted to try worse drugs

message 38: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments Kat wrote: "Chandani wrote: "Kat wrote: "Chandani wrote: "That was hard to understand but, pot really is not a bad drug. Its addictive only mentally, not physically and it causes lung cancer, JUST like cigar..."

Plus Chadani secound hand smoke is just as bad and its not fair to people to have to be inhailing pot

message 39: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Kat wrote: "yeah the crime rate would drop with we legalized everything. making something legal to lower the crime rate makes no difference in the country it just makes it so the people who do it dont get char..."

But there are many serious crimes involving the legality of pot. For instance, my sister's ex-boyfriend was sent to jail for robbing a drug dealers house in order to get pot from there. He had no money. He spent it all on pot. If pot was legalized than the price would drop, making it so he would never have to break into the home. Now he isn't the only one who has done this, and many other have murdered each other over it.

Now, I don't agree with what he did, I was simply using it as an example.

message 40: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Kat wrote: "Kat wrote: "Chandani wrote: "Kat wrote: "Chandani wrote: "That was hard to understand but, pot really is not a bad drug. Its addictive only mentally, not physically and it causes lung cancer, JUS..."

Well, we could could do what we do with cigarettes. Make it illegal to smoke in certain places.

message 41: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Kat wrote: "Chandani wrote: "Kat wrote: "Chandani wrote: "That was hard to understand but, pot really is not a bad drug. Its addictive only mentally, not physically and it causes lung cancer, JUST like cigar..."

Its the same with alcohol, but taken down a notch. Both of my parents smoke pot,and really it just relaxes you. It doesn't make you ridiculously sleepy, or light headed. it affects your judgment in the sense that it makes you not care about people insulting you, or not caring if you smell bad, but it doesn't make you lose any kind of judgment that you need while driving. Plus if you smoke a joint, you want to be in a room with a bowl of chips and some friends, with a season of Friends, not in a car driving cross country.

Also the effects of pot do not last very long, in reality it is not harmful in any signifigant ways that as i said are not already legal.

message 42: by Liz (new)

Liz Plus Chadani secound hand smoke is just as bad and its not fair to people to have to be inhailing pot.

If we are counting second hand smoke, I know what I'm talking about. I've been all over Amsterdam and it is kind of hard not to inhale some of it without meaning to.

No, Kat. I think you are a little mistaken about the effects of marijuana. Chandani is right. It just makes you feel relaxed, and mellow.

Petra:
Have fun in Amsterdam! It is wonderful - my favorite city in the world! You have to go to a little pancake bakery and see the Ann Frank House and you definitely have to take a boatride!

message 43: by Liz (new)

Liz Kat wrote: "yeah the crime rate would drop with we legalized everything. making something legal to lower the crime rate makes no difference in the country it just makes it so the people who do it dont get char..."

Nobody is saying to legalize everything, just pot.

message 44: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments Liz wrote: "Kat wrote: "yeah the crime rate would drop with we legalized everything. making something legal to lower the crime rate makes no difference in the country it just makes it so the people who do it d..."

Liz wrote: "Kat wrote: "yeah the crime rate would drop with we legalized everything. making something legal to lower the crime rate makes no difference in the country it just makes it so the people who do it d..."

yeah but if we legalize this wutz next? I mean its the slippery slope. We cant start legalzing everything.

message 45: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments i understand wut ur sayiong about the effects being no worse then alcohole, but wouldn't u say alot of people die from the side effects of that? wouldn't u say this country would be better if we never leglized alcohole or smoking?

message 46: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookfan101) | 37 comments i mean we cant have total freedom, can we? that would just be a disaster.

message 47: by Liz (new)

Liz Kat wrote: "i understand wut ur sayiong about the effects being no worse then alcohole, but wouldn't u say alot of people die from the side effects of that? wouldn't u say this country would be better if we ne..."

The effects are not nearly asw bad as alcohol, on average. I do not think the country shouldn't have legalized alcohol or tobacco. I think that when alcohol is used responsibly it is enjoyable and perfectly fine.

message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyamazingxx) | 2237 comments Chandani wrote: "People have been saying that teh death rate will go up if its legalized. No!! This will not affect demographics in any signifigant way."

I would like to contradict that chandani. if it's legalized it's going to eventually be harder to obtain and people will fight over it. more people have guns and knives on them these days and will kill for drugs.

message 49: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments If it legalized it will be easier to obtain, not harder.

message 50: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments Maria wrote: "If it legalized it will be easier to obtain, not harder."

I think she means like a shortage.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11