Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Stray - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Discussion of the group read Stray with spoilers

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Hmm.. anyone else considering that Faythe can be quite annoying?? I didn't really think about it until I skimmed it through again. She really is a little child sometimes whining about everything. jeeze. how did I miss that the first time through.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Jess: I read this a while back. I never felt that childish vibe I have heard others comment on. I don't mind character quirks, but annoying? No. I can't continue with characters that work my last nerve. Good pick!

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) after I finished Stray, I wasn't really interested in continuing the series. but as time has passed, these characters have stuck with me, and I am leaning towards reading the next one. I did think Faythe was a bit childish.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Yeah I thought Faythe acted way too childish , with her rebellious behavior/Not thinking before she did something,for her to have been in college but I still love the series.

message 6: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments Well- I read this book because I had just finished a series and I was casting about for something else to read when I saw the message postings in this group.

The treatment of women in this novel really put me off. It reminded me of Saudi Arabia or Afgahnistan. They tried to redeem the mother by saying she had been a member of the council and voluntarily quit. I don't buy it. This mother also let the father put their daughter in a cage for two weeks that included nothing to go to the bathroom in but a coffee can. It's unfortanely not uncommon for fathers or step father to abuse children to death while the mothers stand idly by. The house arrest thing, the cage thing- I never quite got passed that. I'm not sure I agree with glossing it over and making it somehow palatable for the sake of entertainment.
I'm not sure I'm going to read the rest of the series. I'm curious to see Faythe's development in subsequent books-
I've found a lot of series recently that shouldn't necessisarily be judged by the first book in the series.
But for me to hang on not only is the treatment of women going to have to change drastically but Faythe is either going to have to drop Marc or he's going to have to have some serious character development. I was very put off by the scene where Marc pulls in front of another guy at a gas station, cuts him off and intimidates him into not complaining about the rude treatment Marc gives him. The guy is seriously an a-hole and I don't find that one bit attractive- I don't want to see that as a leading love interest. Luckily, Faythe sees Marc's problem with his temper and is conflicted about her relationship with him.
Unluckily- in this first book, she continues to be ruled by her hormones and even though she knows he's an a-hole, her pants keep falling off and she even declares her love for him at one point- I'd like to see a strong female character in Faythe who kicks ass, makes the Pride and the world in general a better place to live in yada, yada, yada- who either inspires her male lead to be a better person- or finds a better male lead...
Don't get me wrong I didn't hang through 313 pages for nothing-
It's overall a good read.
I see potential in Faythe and in turn potential for this series- It would be interesting to see if Ms Vincent plays it out- to see if she resolves any of the aforemention social problems-
I don't know- if there aren't some changes in book 2, Ms Vincent's easy writing style ins't going to be enough to make me go on to book 3.

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Irene - Marc's behavior also irritated me a little bit, but thinking to the other books in the series I'm not sure if it changes all that much.

I think Faythe grows up a little bit especially in the newest book, but Marc will always be overprotective of her. I didn't think he was an ass so much as he was trying to do everything to get his way, and to get Faythe to grow up. I'd be interested to hear what you think of his behavior in the later books in the series. Especially the third one Pride.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) Irene, thank you! What you said is probably why I didn't like the book that much and didn't feel like reading the others. But I may have to, just like people stare at wrecks when they drive by....but I am in no hurry, I may get to them someday.

message 9: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments well surprise, surprise- I now finde myself a third of the way through the third book- Pride. True to form that I've seen in other series I've read lately, the first book is not a good representative for the series.
The justice system still sucks but have faith in Ms Vincent because it's poor state is intergral to the plot of the story.
Offending to me we have someone lingering in the cage in the basement indefinately. We are also operating under the Napoleonic code of guilty until proven innocent. "Justice" is swift, harsh and far from blind. It'll be interesting to see how Ms Vincent plays these plot intricacies.
I still find Marc an unacceptable lead. His integrity is shot. He will cheat to win. In one scene, he bites Faythe's tail to slow her up and beat her in a race. In another scene we're offered up a look at police brutality wherein Marc tries to beat information out of someone. Luckily, Ms Vincent deals with that by having Marc's brutality attempt backfire. But Faythe even though she sees the problem remains smitten. She's still falling all over herself whenever she sees his hot bod.
And as mentioned in earlier posts- Faythe is getting down right irritation. While she wants to be a strong female lead- she continues to be ruled by her hormones- she's hotheaded results now and doesn't consider the results of her actions- she often comes off like a spoiled brat.
This I'll temper though by allowing that her character is only 23- she acts young because she is young. Perhaps it is more a credit Ms Vincent's writing ability than a fault. Some similar allowance can be made for Marc's character. His integrity or lack of it really bothers me but a young woman may not have as much care. When we're young, we're attracted by a pretty face. We don't ask if there's a problem between you and me are you going to play dirty to get what you want? That's where Faythe is. She knows he's a dirty player but GOD!! he's so good looking! and he's great in bed too!- what else does a 23 year old woman need to know?
So maybe the problem isn't Ms Vincent's character development. Maybe it's one of demographics. I'm 45- what I look for in a partner today isn't what I looked for 20 something years ago. Ms Vincent might not have been targeting me when she created Marc. Still however while thats understandable- I'm a little troubled by the message it sends to the younger audience that may be its target.
I'm hoping that young Faythe doesn't fall for the underhanded player with the pretty face. So far the enlightment of Faythe doesn't seem to be where this is going. Right now- they've broken up- They are as we say "on a break". Poor young Faythe is getting her belly button pierced- not because SHE wants to but because he once mentioned he liked naval piercings and she's desparately trying to get his attention. What's going of that mark on herself in twenty years? Shes buying sexy jammies. She's obessing over his slightest glance yada,yada,yada- the sexual tension is high- I'm predicting a reunion and a romp. We'll see what Ms Vincent comes up with. The game is still on.

message 10: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 130 comments my apologies if I gave too much away. truthfully I don't usually follow message post too far down if I'm thinking about reading a book. I don't want any spoilers accidental or otherwise. I stay out customer reviews on Amazon or Barnes and Noble- and won't read book reviews on series books I haven't read yet. It's not all black and white however because I did come on this site looking for books. I came on this site to see what other people were reading and sometimes get their opinions. I love the lists section. Then I started looking into the groups section. It's in this group's section I found out about stray. I'm a vampire girl normally and I wouldn't have picked up this series if it hadn't been under discussion. So while I take issue with some of Ms Vincent's plot devices- I feel lucky. The urge to share overcame me.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (booklover6) That's fine by me, Irene. I'm a vamp girl too! But I have been reading a ton of shifter books lately!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I guess I'm in the minority here, in that I really enjoyed the book. It had a real Kelley Armstrong feel to me. I'm not disputing that Faythe acted irresponsibly at times (but forced with a lack of freedom and a responsibility she didn't want, I couldn't really fault her for it) and that there is a gender imbalance in the pack structure, but as Faythe is in line to take over the pack, I look forward to seeing how it all plays out. I'll definitely be reading more.

message 13: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I'm with you DarkHeart, I think it was a solid UF and I quite liked it. Yes Faythe was immature. Duh!!! No doubts about it! But it was done deliberately and, in my opinion, it works (though she seems more like a 15 yo than a woman in her 20s).
This gives Faythe room to grow and she grew some in "Stray", I'm sure in next books we'll be seeing her becoming more and more responsible - that's the impression I got from Armstrong and I stand firmly behind it. So I'll bear the annoying Faythe for the time being.

message 14: by Clorinda (new)

Clorinda | 31 comments I really liked this book. Especially considering it was her debut novel. The fact that Faythe did exactly what she was told not to is just formulaic for this type of novel. It does annoy me. Sometimes it makes me think the heroine is too stupid to live, but the book was so entertaining. I also like her take on pack dynamics.

message 15: by Trace (new)

Trace (runetracey) I read this a few months ago, one i got from the library. I wasnt really impressed to be honest. There wasnt a strong enough character for me to be really taken into the story. And I found Faythe kinda annoying - LOL