Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yesterday my oldest son and I hit Borders with a 40% off coupon, only good if you spend 20 bucks. Now, I have a vested interest in keeping Borders open, as it's the only decent bookstore within 30 minutes of my house, so I don't mind dropping cash there now and then. I decided on a new dictionary because my old dictionary is ancient and my kids don't like using it. Anyway, my son got a science fiction book and I stood in front of the reference shelf and looked at dictionaries for a good thirty minutes, until my son got bored with his sections and bugged me to leave. Looking at dictionaries is fun. Which one has the best typeface? Which can you reject for being too concise at the expense of detail? Know what I mean? Anyway, after entertaining a few different options I went with the Oxford Pocket dictionary and thesaurus (which, by the way, would only fit in a very, very large pocket).

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Oxford-D...

I picked this one because it's got a clear, easy on the eyes typeface, and it's easy enough for my kids to use while still remaining useful to me.

I still use dictionary.com sometimes but there's no pleasure quite like paging through the dictionary.

And you? What dictionary do you use? For what do you look in a dictionary? Other dictionary thoughts?

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I use Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary. It's the gold standard of general-use dictionaries. That's according to this guy who used to host this show locally on NPR called A Way With Words. It has all the information you need (pronunciation, part of speech, etymology, definition, example sentence) without going too far into the weeds.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments I have a shelf of Dutch-English translation dictionaries for specific fields. And I have Webster's New World College Dictionary and the Collins English Dictionary, both tattered and torn, as if they spend nights trying to push each other into the shredder.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I just bought a English-Spanish dictionary, published by Oceano. I´m learning new words every day. Dark chocolate is chocolate amargo. Frutilla is strawberry, here in Argentina (sometimes they have a different word than in Mexico...sigh)

Today, I asked the waitress to bring ¨dos cuchillas¨ with the flan, thinking that meant spoons. It turns out they are NOT spoons, but long knives. Oops.
Fortunately, she knew what I meant. :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.