Beyond Reality discussion

General SF&F discussion > Hugo Awards!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Mar 29, 2009 09:16PM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Here are the nominations for this year's Hugo Awards. Which one do you think should win?

Anathem by Neal Stephenson(Morrow; Atlantic UK)
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (HarperCollins; Bloomsbury UK)
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (Tor Teen; HarperVoyager UK)
Saturn’s Children by Charles Stross (Ace; Orbit UK)
Zoe’s Tale by John Scalzi (Tor)

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I've read The Graveyard Book and Little Brother. I thought Little Brother was outstanding, but I don't know if it was science-fictiony enough for the Hugo. The Graveyard Book was fun, but I don't think it's quite at the level I would expect for an adult-level award. I haven't had a chance to read the rest, but from what I've been hearing, Anathem is beyond excellent and probably has all the qualities necessary to win the Hugo.

message 3: by Frank (new)

Frank Taranto (xtontox) | 38 comments Haven't read them all, but Little Brother was superb and should be must reading for all teenagers.
FrankT

message 4: by Mosca (new)

Mosca | 12 comments Thank you for posting the Hugo nominees.

The only one of these that I know of at all is Anathem. This is because it is one of the books on my table checked out from the library. So I'm definitely going to reads it soon.

The others I will look into.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I haven't read any of these, but do plan on getting to Little Brother and The Graveyard Book.

message 6: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 177 comments The only one I've read is Little Brother, which I this is a very good book, but I had real trouble with motivation to continue reading at the beginning. There was something about it which really irritated me...

Anyway, if I'd read more of them I could comment, but I don't think LIttle Brother was good enough to win (or even be short-listed, honestly - I know I'm in the minority here).

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (readingfairytales) I haven't read any of them either, but I'd like to read them all. I think I actually picked up Graveyard Book, but moved on to something else after I had read a few pages, because it wasn't catching my interest at the time.

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments I havent read any of them. I rushed out and bought Anathem when it came out. I wanted to finish his baroque cycle first. Still trudging though it

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh most definitely Anathem!

Ken, while I did love the baroque cycle, Anathem IMO is quite a departure from Stephenson in that it's very tight, without the wandering and utter verbosity of his previous books.