Daily Diary discussion

Bridge of Sighs - Richard Russo

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne | 10 comments I'm about half-way through and just absolutely in love with this book. I remember liking Russo's Empire Falls, and found Straight Man okay, but this is simply incredible - basically the story of a man (Lou) who lives his entire life in the same small town - but then Russo fills in the back story on all of Lou's family and friends. The story doesn't necessarily "go" anywhere, but I love how all the characters unfold as I learn more and more about each one. I hope the second half is as good as the first.

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I love stories that don't necessarily go anywhere but provide great characterization..sort of throws you into the town.

message 3: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie | 16 comments I am a bit in love with Richard Russo. I met him at a book Expo and again at a reading of "Empire Falls" right after he won the Pulitzer Prize. Russo is a short rather stocky man who has lots and lots of smile wrinkles.
I have read every thing he has written and I don't believe that there is an author who can rival him as far as small town characters go.
My favorite Russo novel is "The Risk Pool". I would say that "Bridge of Sighs" is probably number two.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 10 comments I just requested "Mohawk" from the library - I hadn't heard of "The Risk Pool", but just added it to my goodreads "to-read" list. Thanks Jeannie!!

message 5: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie | 16 comments Anne,
Mohawk was, in my opinion, Russo's darkest book. It was his first novel. We read the book for one of my face2face groups and it was not enjoyed by all. The book is fairly short and an easy read. I didn't think it was his best but it WAS his first. Another really good one of his is titled "Nobody's Fool".......there was a movie made from that one staring Paul Neuman.

Let me know what you think.