A Misplaced Massacre: Struggling Over the Memory of Sand Creek A Misplaced Massacre discussion

I'm happy to answer any questions about the book.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ari (new)

Ari Kelman Hi all,

If anyone has any questions about the book, please just let me know. I'll check in from time to time. Also, I've written a bit about it here.

Thanks,

Ari

Jean Hi Ari,

In the preface, you state that although you were a "participant-observer" in the events described, you decided to omit yourself from the narrative. I wondered about the omitted participation. The preface says that you conducted over a hundred interviews. Was this as part of the NPS' oral history collection process, or was it a separate academic project?

Thanks! I really enjoyed the book.

Jean

message 3: by Ari (new)

Ari Kelman Hi Jean,

Thanks so much for your kind words about the book and also for your question. Speaking of which, I called myself a "participant-observer" in the introduction because that's the term of art for a scholar who's present for a process like the creation of the Sand Creek historic site. In my case, I went to most of the planning meetings for the memorial and then also conducted my own interviews, in private, with all of the key players in the story.

I hope I've answered your question. If not, please let me know.

All the best,

Ari