Challenge: 50 Books discussion

*Retired* 2008 Lists > Jen's Books!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (1) Year Of Magical Thinking - Joan Didion

(2) You've Been Warned - James Patterson

So...are y'all going to count audio books in this 50? I kept the numbers separate last year. I want to READ 52 books this year...and listen to lots of audio books, too.

Jen

message 2: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) I'm gonna say yes. My thinking is if you make the effort to invest time in someone else writing whether reading or listening to it it counts. :)

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) I agree! Audio books are great!

message 4: by Jen (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:38AM) (new)

Jen Donnelly (3) Harvesting The Heart - Jodi Picoult (I've read all of her books! Yippee! Can't wait for the new one in March!

(4) Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson

Audio:

(1) A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby
(2) Sisterchicks Do The Hula - Robin Jones Gunn

**I'm keeping audio separate so I can make myself actually sit down and read 52 books this year** :)

Jen

message 5: by *Nan* (new)

*Nan* (Nan4471) Jen - I too am keeping audio seperately but I still list them here and them put either BOCD or audio after the book name so I know which ones I listened too. Also I too am a Jodi Picoult lover and I am on the waiting list for her new book at my library as well as bookmooch and PBS but I am sure I will break down and buy the book because I love her so much.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly I'm number 124 at my library for the new Jodi book! I hate that I didn't think to reserve it earlier. I don't buy many books, so I'll definitely wait for the library copy. I just hope it happens SOON after it comes out!! :)

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (5) Iggie's House - Judy Blume (my friends Charlotte, Laurie & I are reading all of the Judy Blume books this year! Last year, we read the Little House On The Prairie books.)

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 74 comments How was A Long Way Down? That has been on my to-buy list for awhile.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly Hi Emily!

I really liked it. This is the first book I've read (well, listened to) by Nick Hornby. I'm obsessed with the movies High Fidelity & About A Boy! And I really liked this book. There are 4 main characters, and there were different voices for each of them on audio (I believe one woman did both women's voices). If you read it, I'll be interested to see what you think!

Jen

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (6) Responsible Men - Edward Schwarzschild

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (7) Savannah by the Sea - Denise Hildreth. This is the final book in a trilogy and was my favorite in the series.

Audio
(3) In An Instant - Lee & Bob Woodruff. What a great memoir. I LOVE that I listened to it on audio because the authors were the readers.

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (8) Change Of Heart - Jodi Picoult. I LOVE Jodi. And she did NOT disappoint with this one!

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (9) The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls I really liked this memoir quite a bit!

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I am planning to re-read all of the Judy Blume books this year too. But first I'm re-reading all of the Beverly Cleary books. I love re-reading books I loved as a kid.

message 15: by Brianah (new)

Brianah (mrsbrianah) I really enjoyed The Glass Castle as well. It is amazing that people can pull themselves up from such a rough upbringing. It really made me feel differently towards anyone I meet b/c you just never know what they have been through.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly oooo! beverly cleary. maybe i'll do those next year! FUN!

jen

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly Audio
(4) Sisterchicks In Sombreros by Robin Jones Gunn. This is the 3rd in the 'Sisterchicks' series. It wasn't my favorite...but I really liked how it ended. I'm enjoying listening to this series in the car!

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (10) Flies On The Butter - Denise Hildreth. This was a VERY quick read (which I love) and a pretty good story about a woman in crisis. Many strangers are placed in her path to help here deal with her crisis. I really liked that part of it.

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (11) Dragonfly In Amber - Diana Gabaldon. Whew! This one took me a long time to read...it's a biggie! But SOOO good! I loved it and I can't wait to read the 3rd in this series (after I squeeze in a few other books). :)

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (12) Blubber - Judy Blume

(13) Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself - Judy Blume (I had never read this one before...I really liked it!)

(14) A Lifetime of Secrets: A Postsecret Book - Frank Warren (these books are great. some of the postcards make me laugh, but many just break my heart.)

(15) The Trophy Wives Club - Kristin Billerbeck (I really enjoy Kristin's books)

I checked out 11 books from the library today! FUN!!! :)

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (16) A Version of the Truth - Jennifer Kaufman & Karen Mack. This was a VERY quick read (love those) and I really enjoyed it. Cassie is a great main character...I was very interested in her story from beginning to end.

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (17) sTORItelling - Tori Spelling. I really enjoyed this memoir. She really is quite normal...not the spoiled brat the tabloids always made her out to be. Her mother. Ugh. Not a nice woman. Sad when someone's own mother tries to sabotage things...and make situations alllll about them. Anyhew, it was a quick and enjoyable read. :)

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (18) Comfort Food - Kate Jacobs. I'm on hold at the library for Friday Night Knitting Club, but I saw this one on the 'new fiction' shelf and I'm so glad I did! I became completely enthralled in the lives of Gus & her friends and family. It was a quick, fun read!

(19) Good Dog. Stay. - Anna Quindlen. Sweet book. I got a little choked up. :)

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly I went on vacation last week and read lots (even some with my nephews as you'll see)! :) Very relaxing!

(20) Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy - Barbara Park These books are hysterical. I was laughing out loud reading to my newphew!

(21) Sundays At Tiffanys - James Patterson

(22) Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen I liked this book SO much! I highly recommend it!

(23) It's Not The End Of The World - Judy Blume

(24) Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying - Barbara Park (Junie B. really cracks me up!!)

(25) Are You There God It's Me Margaret - Judy Blume I think I liked this just as much this time as when I read it as a kid!!! :)

(26) James And The Giant Peach - Ronald Dahl

(27) The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, Book 1) - Holly Black

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (28) Cannery Row - John Steinbeck.

(29) Prints Charming - Rebeca Seitz. Cute christian chiklit book about four women who bond through scrapbooking.

(30) Scot on the Rocks - Brenda Janowitz. Very funny chiklit.

(31) The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen. I read her debut novel 'Garden Spells' on vacation in June and liked it so much I had to read this one immediately! What a great writer. Can't wait for her next book!

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (32) The Condition - Jennifer Haigh. When I saw she had another book coming out, I had to read it right away. I've read her other two books (I particularly enjoyed Mrs. Kimble.) I really liked The Condition.

(33) Sweet Love - Sarah Strohmeyer. This was a really quick read and a good story.

Audio...
(5) Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt. I hesitated to read this because I thought it would be so sad. It's actually hilarious! Frank McCourt reads this on audio...I highly recommend listening to it. Really good (and sooo funny).

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (34) Voyager - Diana Gabaldon These books are SO good! This was my favorite so far in the series. They take forever to read, but it's so worth it!

(35) Deenie - Judy Blume

(36) Belong To Me - Marisa de los Santos I liked this a lot. Many of the wonderful characters from 'Love Walked In' were also in this book. And there were some very lovable characters introduced in this one. Perhaps there will be a third??? :)

(37) Just Who Will You Be? - Maria Shriver

(38) The Wedding Officer - Anthony Capella

(39) Then Again, Maybe I Won't - Judy Blume

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen Donnelly (40) The Little Soul and the Sun: A Children's Parable Adapted from Conversations With God - Neale Donald Walsch

(41) The Will of Wisteria - Denise Hildreth

(42) The Cure For Modern Life - Lisa Tucker

(43) Stuck In The Middle - Virginia Smith

(44) Gluten Free Girl - Shauna James Ahern

Audio (6) In Defense Of Food: An Eater's Manifesto - Michael Pollan

message 29: by Jen (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:31AM) (new)

Jen Donnelly (45) The Shack - William P. Young This is a great book.

(46) Remember Me? - Sophie Kinsella

(47) The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible - A.J. Jacobs. Laurie's choice for book club and it was so good. Very interesting!

(48) The Friday Night Knitting Club - Kate Jacobs. Loved it!

(49) In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars - Mark Batterson. read this in life group. i liked it a lot.

(50) The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel - David Wroblewski. I think I would have enjoyed this much more if it hadn't taken me 3 weeks to finish it. I think I started to lose interest.