Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Duplicated books in comparison

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by HM (new)

HM Sometime when we use "compare book" facility apart from different versions of a book, a particular book is seen more than one time.

message 2: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Jan 15, 2008 11:51AM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Hi Hamed,

That usually means you or the other person have rated more than one edition of a book. You can find if there are any duplicates in your account by going to 'my books' => 'edit view' => 'find duplicates'.

message 3: by HM (new)

HM Hi Otis;

There are cases in which number of repeated books are more than rated number of them. as an example we have both rated two edition of a book but in comparision 6-7 items of the same book with a same hyperlink have been repeated.

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 113 comments Am I blind? Now I've found the list of duplicated books, how do I remove the duplicates???

R

message 5: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 81 comments Select the duplicate you wish to remove and when you are looking at your books on your shelf there is a link on the right for "remove" or "edit".

You can also remove books in the "edit review" option. W-a-a-a-y down at the bottom of the page - under the box for your review.

message 6: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Hamed,

Can you give us a specific example (ie which person you are comparing with?)

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 113 comments Melody, thanks. But I must be nutz. I have gone to Bookshelve/edit and used the "find duplicates" function, which has rooted out a sizable list of duplicates for me. I find nothing on that page that allows me to either select, remove, or edit.

R

message 8: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12269 comments Mod
You need to click on each book individually and go from there.

message 9: by HM (new)

HM As an example when I compare my profile with:
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/12081
There are about 10 books which are repeated more than two times like One Hundred Years of Solitude and کلیدر
but I am sure that I have not rated them more that two times.

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 83 comments Hamed, If the other person has rated the different editions of a book more than once, it will show up multiple times in the compare books function. It looks like that profile you linked to has several duplicate ratings.

message 11: by HM (last edited Jan 17, 2008 08:03AM) (new)

HM Jessica, You are right. But I think it is a bug because when we have not rated the same edition of the book, it should not be mentioned in comparison function(It's better to be AND not OR) and this function should just bring common editions (mutual interests)or in the best state it can just show one sample as the common book (when our editions are totally different from each other and there is not any similar edition)

message 12: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 81 comments Ah - you want a delete function right there in your search. Right? Rather than having to click each book. Sounds like a to do. By the way, Ruth, is it raining there? (snicker).

message 13: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 113 comments That's exactly what I want, Melody. To go to each book individually is a royal pain in the blank, and I ain't gonna do it.

And it's bright and blue and beautiful today. So there.

R

message 14: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 243 comments I agree. Since the duplicates list is generated from the edit view, I would love to see all the options you have in edit view -- the shelves & date added of the duplicate books so I know WHICH to delete. And having the check boxes and the ability to delete a whole bunch of duplicates at once would be ever so helpful.

message 15: by HM (new)

HM Hi Otis;

Could please give us your final point of view on this problem and suggestions to solve it.

message 16: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Hi Hamed,

My apologies. The problem is that you have 26 duplicates in your account, and your friend has 250. If you and your friend clear out the duplicates, the compare page will work much better.