Literature & Film discussion

Golden Globe Winners

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison I know awards aren't everything, but I feel like I was robbed of an awards show.

BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
ATONEMENT

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
JULIE CHRISTIE
Away From Her

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
DANIEL DAY-LEWIS
There Will Be Blood

BEST MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
MARION COTILLARD
La Vie En Rose

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL
JOHNNY DEPP

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY – FRANCE AND USA

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE
CATE BLANCHETT

I’m Not There

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE
JAVIER BARDEM
No Country for Old Men

BEST DIRECTOR – MOTION PICTURE
JULIAN SCHNABEL
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

BEST SCREENPLAY – MOTION PICTURE
ETHAN COEN & JOEL COEN

No Country for Old Men

message 2: by Arctic (new)

Arctic Hey thanks for posting these! did you watch the "press release"? LOL It was lame. Granted I only saw about five minutes, but it seemed really silly, like they were trying to look all important but couldn't quite pull it off.

What do you think of the results?

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert | 111 comments I had forgotten these were even going to be announced so I missed the actual "show".. I was surprised to see "Sweeney Todd" honored - though it certainly deserves it. I haven't seen "Diving Bell" or "Atonement", so no comment there. I also thing Cate Blanchett was well-chosen for "I'm not there"..for me the biggest surprise - and most welcome one - was the award for "Extras" as best comedy series. It's the only tv program I actually made a point to watch last year...

message 4: by Alison (last edited Jan 15, 2008 06:53PM) (new)

Alison I haven't seen Atonement, but I feel like I have. Haha. I really wanted to see No Country win. But I hadn't seen the other nominations, so it's a little unfair. But I really thought it was THAT GOOD.

I thought Julie Christie was a shoe-in for the GG, as well as the upcoming Oscar (Dear God, please let us have a show!) I have seen Away from Her and she is brilliant and the most gorgeous person I have ever seen for her age (or any age). The movie is a little slow, but the pace actually suits it. It's very wintery.

Daniel Day Lewis--shoe in for the Oscar as well in my opinion. He's just a scene stealer, and so crafty. Awards people love Cate Blanchett, and they should because she's awesome and has great range. I should have listed the nominees so we could compare. Javier--of course he would win. I think he's going to get the Oscar, also.

I have seen only one episode of Extras, but I so loved Ricky Gervais on the British Office. I would give him an award, just so he'd be encouraged to keep working.

I didn't see the press release. I was a little surprised to see David Duchovney win--that was out of left field. Keep in mind, I don't get to see half of these shows or movies, but it's still fun to have an opinion. :)

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissaharl) Hi, just joined this group so I'm coming in a little late. I thought Cate Blanchett was fabulous in I'm Not There, and I see today that she's been nominated for Elizabeth - Golden Age for the Oscars as well.

Like others I haven't seen all the nominated films or performances, but I did like Julie Christie in Away from Her. I agree that she's amazingly beautiful. Maybe it's the bone structure? As someone who's had both parents suffer from Alzheimer's or senile dementia, though, I thought that she was way too capable or aware at points. Could have been the cinematic need to telescope events.

Philip