Ratebeer Readers discussion

1 view
Do you use a bookmark?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank Hays (logicalfrank) | 40 comments I stopped a while back and am glad I did. I have a nasty tendency to "sport read" where I really try to push how many books I can read in a given week and that.Not using a bookmark forces me to go back over the last little bit before I stopped and I feel like I remember things better after I'm done. Also, it encourages me to stop reading at good spots like the end of chapters and such.

message 2: by Dodd (last edited Jan 13, 2008 08:00PM) (new)

Dodd | 127 comments No. I do something much worse, I put the book open and face down to keep my place.

message 3: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments I don't have any hard/fast rules. Books I'm whipping through quickly (The Subtle Knife, currently) I don't; books that I know are going slowly (Atlas Shrugged), yes. Sometimes when I'm really ambitious, as with Rand's "masterpiece", I use a 3x5 or 4x6 card and I make occasional notes, which helps a lot when you put something down for a month or two at a time...

message 4: by Nate (new)

Nate (Gueuze) | 13 comments I dog-ear.

message 5: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments BOOK-KILLER!!!!

message 6: by Nate (new)

Nate (Gueuze) | 13 comments Yeah, I know. Although, if I borrow a book from someone, or it's a "good" book, I'll use a bookmark of some sort. But all the library books and used paperbacks I read ... dog-ear.

message 7: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (bbbrr) | 18 comments You dog-ear library books? Oh man, YOUR that guy!

I usually use an index card. If it's a book I don't want to write in, I'll make occasional notes on the card, and stick it in the back of the book when I'm done reading it.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason | 39 comments I usually use whatever receipt I have in my pocket.

message 9: by Claude S (new)

Claude S | 200 comments I use whatever is handy... usually a plane ticket of something if I am reading on a plane. Or if it is hardbound with a cover I just use the cover fold to mark my place.

message 10: by William (new)

William (acknud) I read electronically so my PDA does it for me.

message 11: by grantonio (new)

grantonio | 24 comments I usually use little scraps of paper that I tear off of bills or something, but I do have a few nice bookmarks around. I was at my parents over the holidays and I started using a little scrap of newspaper so my mother went and bought me one that was handpainted on leftover tin by artisans in Puerto Rico, or something like that.

message 12: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 17 comments I usually use the subscription cards from magazines. They're really good for bookmarks. I've also used receipts and other paper scraps. I was so anal about my books as a kid that I wouldn't dare dogear or lay a book open face down to save my place. That would have been sacrilegious, and the habits just continued.

message 13: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments I'm totally anal about keeping books in good shape as well. My copy of "The Hobbit", bought in probably 1977 when I was 11 or 12, doesn't quite look brand new anymore, but most people wouldn't guess it had been read 30-40 times either.

I don't think I've ever dog-eared a book in my life, unless perhaps it was a library book that was already beat to hell.

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian (bkco1213) | 12 comments I always use bookmarks. I do reread the past couple of pages. If I didn't use a bookmark, I would read ahead and piss myself off.