Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Alex Woolfson
This topic is about Alex Woolfson
Webcomic Discussions > Wildcard: March - The Young Protectors

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Mar 08, 2013 01:46PM) (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Discuss this month's wildcard, The Young Protectors, here.

The Young Protectors: Engaging the Enemy is a multi-chapter superhero m/m webcomic created by writer Alex Woolfson, penciler Adam DeKraker and colorist Veronica Gandini.

message 2: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Holly-Rosing (mhollyrosing) | 152 comments I would give this 3 stars for the story and 4 to 5 for the paneling/artwork. I really like how the story is laid out. I think the paneling is nicely done and flows very well. The splash pages are excellent and very dynamic. How the action is presented is done well.

But I have a big problem with the story. We never see The Annihilator really being a bad guy in the prologue or the first chapter. It's all very talkie and expositional. And the scene where we see the young superheroes save the "baby from a burning building," really? It's a little cliche. They seem like every other superhero group. There is nothing special about them or their world.
And can "Red Hot" really be that naive? I don't get a sense of where the lead characters are coming from or where they are going.
Maybe the later chapters will be better.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments I think it was supposed to be kind of a typical superhero world. We are already familiar with superheroes, so it gives us a sense from the get-go that The Annihilator and Red Hot are on different sides without having to take a really long time to tell you. It helps us get to the romance-y bit quicker ;)

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
We had a lot of great discussions with Alex on his comics and a number of other topics last night during our Q&A!

You can check out the full thread here. Thanks again Alex! :)