Stephen King Fans discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2585 comments Mod
OK so some of us don't have a clue about twitter. So we started talking about it in another group on here and thought maybe we could twitter while reading Carrie. Does anyone in this group Twitter already and can help out some twitter virgins? Anyone interesting in doing a twitter experiment while reading Carrie?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I think it's oddly fitting that we'll be reading a book about teenagers and the way they relate to each other (not to mention their parents and teachers), while using a new technology that allows teens to "relate" to each other like never before.

That said, I'm probably not going to be tweeting along with my updates, since I've already read the book. But I will follow those who do decide to be Twit-tastic! (New word!) ;)

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam me me ... me me me me me me ... meeeee!

all you gotta do is head on over to twitter.com and sign up ... I guess everyone who wants to do it could post their twitter names here ... and then you just "follow" the other twit-tastic twats tweeting about Carrie

:) - john cleese said twats first http://www.vimeo.com/3181548

but what are the rules for tweeting? ... is it just a Carrie related free-for-all ... or are we gonna be structured about this little experiment?

SammiLC is my twitter name ... already I'm not v creative

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben (cptshinypnts) | 43 comments Would love to read some Carrie-centric tweets! I'm a big fan of Twitter...have been on for a year or so now.

I'm wiredmonkey on Twitter. Add me if you like.

Also, you can use "hashtags" when you post tweets on there, and that way, if we want to search posts for messages about Carrie, it's super easy. I suggest using #Carrie as the hashtag. There are 4 posts that are in reference to Carrie Underwood under that, but that's fine...we can just ignore them. :) Either that or #GRCarrie for Good Reads. That hasn't been used, and is still short, so it won't eat up much of the 140 character limit.

I'm pretty familiar with this, so if anyone has Twitter questions they can't find an answer to on the site, feel free to msg me. :)

message 5: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) Ok, I'm game... HAMIS001 on Twitter.

Also, I second the suggestion of using #GRCarrie as a tag. Makes it easy to follow relevant messages.

message 6: by Ben (new)

Ben (cptshinypnts) | 43 comments Stacie - having trouble finding you as "HAMIS001" on Twitter. Can't find that username. I did see a "Hamis", but that's it. Any chance something was mis-typed?

message 7: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) I think it's being twitchy... I couldn't find Rob by searching either (had to snag him from your 'following' group). I replied to you, so I should show up in your feed.

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben (cptshinypnts) | 43 comments Stacie wrote: "I think it's being twitchy... I couldn't find Rob by searching either (had to snag him from your 'following' group). I replied to you, so I should show up in your feed. "

Indeed! It did work that way, and when I got your message. I know I had trouble finding Rob on my first search, but then I randomly hit search again, and it found him...with the same search parameters. When I did that with you (quite a few times), it still didn't find you. So, now that THAT'S all ironed out.... if anyone else has trouble adding, keep at it, I guess. Or, if you can find one of us, check who they're following, and maybe you'll find the person directly. My follow list is pretty crazy, but the newer additions are at the top, so there's that. :)

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam thank the gods for Ben ... our very our Twixpert

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK... I just signed up... My nickname or whatever is "Tripzlyn".

...Now to see if I can find you peeps' tweets. :\

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Mmm... Twix.

message 12: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) Rob wrote: "This is crazy. A month ago, I didn't even know what Twitter was!

I'm still learning and comprehending. Like....what's a hashtag...and how does it work? I'm kind of old. You'll have to excuse m..."

Don't feel bad... a week ago I was rolling my eyes at people for being obsessed with the whole Twitter deal. Now I've joined them.

A hashtag is a specific word or phrase starting with the '#' symbol included in a tweet to make it easier to search for. For example, if all tweets from members of this group contain #GRCarrie (or any agreed upon 'code word') in them then all you have to do is search for that 'code word' and it will (should anyway) pull up all tweets and @replies that contain it... and then you don't have to sift through half a million random messages just to find the ones that relate to this group. The more specific the hashtag is the better it works to filter out unrelated 'noise'.

(The funny thing is that we've been using them at work to help filter the chaos of shared email systems. Wow! The things you learn at work really can be used in real life. Who knew?)

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK... here's a silly question for us Newbie Twits... How the heck do you search for these code words or hashtags or whatchacallums?

message 14: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) Becky wrote: "OK... here's a silly question for us Newbie Twits... How the heck do you search for these code words or hashtags or whatchacallums?"

All you have to do is log onto the homepage and scroll to the bottom of the page where the teeny-tiny 'search' link is. That opens up a new page with a recognizable search box where you enter the hashtag which should pull up all relevant twitters.

Don't ask me about pictures though... I haven't figured those out yet :)

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Ah... I glanced at those links, but as I am not seeking employment with Twitter, or downloading anything, etc, I didn't really give that area much thought.

Thanks Stacie!

message 16: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) Yeah, bad site design! They should have a big friendly box right at the top, where normal folks look for it ;) (my niece had to show me where the search link was when I signed up)

message 17: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelledazzlepants) I've been on twitter for a while :)

username is jerryfetus

Warning though, I tweet a LOT

message 18: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Wow I've been out of town and wasn't paying attention!
I am going to add myself to Twitter tonight!

message 19: by Ben (new)

Ben (cptshinypnts) | 43 comments Angie - c'mon already - what's your screen name??

And, as a bonus - a couple of authors that King fans might like to follow:

Neil Gaiman - http://twitter.com/neilhimself
Joe Hill - http://twitter.com/joe_hill

And add me too, of course, as I said before: http://twitter.com/wiredmonkey

-B.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments twitter kinda scares me.

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam Rachel wrote: "twitter kinda scares me."

me too :) ... but not as much as Pennywise does

message 22: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelledazzlepants) Sam wrote: "Rachel wrote: "twitter kinda scares me."

me too :) ... but not as much as Pennywise does"

I'm lame and thought you were talking about the band for a second there -_-

message 23: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Mar 31, 2009 06:16AM) (new)

Twitter scares me too!!!! That must be why I have been putting it off... so here goes....

so my name is... kingmod

I am going to try to look you guys up~

message 24: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Mar 31, 2009 06:18AM) (new)

HA! This is the message I got:

Twitter is stressing out a bit right now, so this feature is temporarily disabled.

So I will have to try again later!

message 25: by Craig (new)

Craig (digitalcraig)
My twitter name is digitalcraig. Instead of using search you can also append the username after twitter.com. So http://www.twitter.com/digitalcraig

message 26: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I can't figure out this hashtag thing? How do I do it again?

message 27: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Following me.... twat is scary and has scary terms!

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Rob wrote: "Yeah. It feels kind of creepy following someone's twat, but hey. It wasn't MY idea! ;)

That was in terrible taste, wasn't it?"

Hilarious though.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Rob wrote: "Yeah. It feels kind of creepy following someone's twat, but hey. It wasn't MY idea! ;)

That was in terrible taste, wasn't it?"

Rob, I love you...hehe

message 30: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

What about this hashtag thing?

message 31: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Maybe I can't do it because I'm on a mac?

message 32: by Craig (new)

Craig (digitalcraig) Angie wrote: "Maybe I can't do it because I'm on a mac?"

There's nothing specific about a hashtag. It's just a convention that twitter community adopted to allow people to follow specific subjects or topics. It's similar to using the @ sign to indicate you are directing a tweet at a specific person. In the beginning, there was no official support for @ and it was added when everyone started using it.

To use a hashtag, you just put a # mark in front of any word or phrase that describes what you are talking about (sometimes at the end).

So, if I'm in Boston and I'm talking about a Boston-specific event I would write #boston somewhere in my tweet.

To follow specific subjects, just go to http://search.twitter.com and put the a search term in the box and you'll see every tweet where someone uses that term. In this case, "#boston".

Does that help?

message 33: by Sam (new)

Sam Jerry wrote: "I'm lame and thought you were talking about the band for a second there -_-"

aw i don't think you're lame - a little kooky yes but not lame darlin'

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam Rob wrote: "Yeah. It feels kind of creepy following someone's twat, but hey. It wasn't MY idea! ;)"

c'mon now Rob - I do believe it was you that started the whole Twitter thing

message 35: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Thanks Craig that really helps!

message 36: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Was it Rob? I should've known! :)

message 37: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) | 8 comments I just signed up on Twitter.com :) My name is "adwielle"..

message 38: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) | 8 comments Now I think I have found most of you on Twitter.com, so if there is someone with the name "adwielle" following you on Twitter, relax... It's just me ;)

message 39: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

I think I got a spam twitter person! I am pretty sure I have all of you as a twitter person and someone was following me that I didn't even know so of course I went to their page...spam? ? ? ? ?

message 40: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelledazzlepants) Angie wrote: "I think I got a spam twitter person! I am pretty sure I have all of you as a twitter person and someone was following me that I didn't even know so of course I went to their page...spam? ? ? ? ?"
There are a lot of spambots on there for adult social networking sites and just random fake profiles that don't even get used =S

But there are some genuine random people that will follow you :)

message 41: by Craig (new)

Craig (digitalcraig) I use a service call Socialtoo (http://www.socialtoo.com) which has a number of neat features, including auto-following anyone who follows you (reciprocity) and notifying you when someone unfollows you (including their guess on what you said to make them unfollow you).

You can use this to help fight the spammers as well because many of them will only follow you with the hope that you'll follow them back or visit their website. Because of limits on the followers:following ratio, they also tend to unfollow you a short time after following you. Socialtoo.com makes it easy to automatically identify those spammers and unfollow them.

Or, just look at anyone who follows you and block anyone that's a spammer. If they are blocked enough times, they get booted. I usually look for anyone who is following lots of people and very few people following them.

message 42: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

message 43: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Angie, I have been trying to find that video for like forever! Every time I would find it on the site, my computer would lock up. Thank you!

message 44: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

HA! I get on there every now and then. It's OK. I don't really care about it though. But what is going on with people following you is right? I keep getting random followers.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments Anybody read the EW column by Mark Harris where he talks about Ashton Kutcher having "followers" on Twitter and when did Ashton Kutcher become a religion? Great column about the woman who became an internet sensation on Britian's Got Talent. Can't remember her name though...

message 46: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments 'Possibly', it is a righteous fear.
Not quite as scary as a cell phone tho (that we know of)

Ben wrote: "Angie - c'mon already - what's your screen name??

And, as a bonus - a couple of authors that King fans might like to follow:

Neil Gaiman - http://twitter.com/neilhimself
Joe Hill - http://twitter..."

message 47: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Long ago we did a thing with Twitter and the book Carrie. Now KING has a twitter. This is pretty big since he doesn't like social media really.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing

So check it out if you want... let's see what he has to say on there!

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments I was wondering if you'd seen that, Angie! I heard he's also on GR now.

message 49: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Rachel wrote: "I was wondering if you'd seen that, Angie! I heard he's also on GR now."

WHAT!!!!!! Man we need to do like a big campaign for him to stop by the group!

message 50: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

It's crazy to me that this made buzzfeed... of course it's also crazy that King is on Twitter in the first place. http://www.buzzfeed.com/isaacfitzgera...

« previous 1