Comments Showing 1-50 of 249 (249 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by KrisT (new)

KrisT So far this year:
1. Entering Normal by Anne D. LeClaire
2. Strangers in the Night by Linda Howard
3. The christmas pearl by Dorothea Benton Frank
4. Cujo by Stephen King
5. Perfect Balance by Dr. Robert Greene (non-fic)
6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J K Rowlings
7. The Great Pretender by Millenia Black

gosh nothing like variety!! ;) krisT

message 2: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 8. Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez (non-fic)

the subject matter is good but not so sure about the writing style.

message 3: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 9. Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult

good but not her best!

message 4: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 10. Northanger Abby by Jane Austen

It was a reread for the PBS new movie on Masterpiece theater. Not my favorite of her works but still a good story.

message 5: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 11. Slipknot by Linda Greenlaw

her first fiction but I have to say I would rather she kept to her non-fiction writing but maybe she will get better.

message 6: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 12. Elizabeth and Georgiana: The Duke of Devonshire and his two Duchesses by Caroline Chapman (NF)

13. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

That was pretty good so now I am ready for the other "ODD" books!

message 7: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Your count is going quite well!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky Laboy | 7 comments I read Odd Thomas a few years back and I loved it! I didn't read the second one, but just finished the 3rd one: "Brother Odd". Before I voice my opinion - before you've read it, I'll look forward to hearing yours... -Becky

message 9: by KrisT (new)

KrisT Yes doing well. I have so many from the library that came in at the same time so that is kind of giving me a shove.

I am reading the second Odd today and should finish it also. I think Odd is so quirky and I could see this as a tv series. ;)

14. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (NF)

I think this was a good journey book. About discoveries and digging deep into yourself. I think the author tried to do that but not sure she always made good on her tries but that is what a journey of discover is all about.

message 10: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 15. Forever Odd by Dean Koontz

Much like the first of this series, Odd must do something he doesn't like or want to do to help someone else. I think this leads nicely into the next book in the series.

message 11: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 16. You've been Warned by James Patterson

A little different than his other stand-alones but I kind of liked it. Anything with a psychological twist to it is always good.

message 12: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 17. Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

finished the trilogy and hope there is going to be more to this series in the future. What a fun cast of main characters.

message 13: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 18. The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

The sequel to the Tea Rose saga. The story continues and it takes you for a sweet ride back into the streets of London 1900 and the mountains of Africa.

message 14: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 19. Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris

Long but really an interesting read set in a small town in Vermont in the 1960's.

message 15: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 20. In the Wake of Madness: The Murderous Voyage of the Whaleship Sharon by Joan Druett (NF)

I think this would be a fun companion book to Moby Dick. While I did not care much for MD this whaleship journey was very quite interesting.

message 16: by Kelly (last edited Jan 31, 2008 03:27PM) (new)

Kelly Lane (thatgirlkelly) 10. Northanger Abby by Jane Austen

You know, this book gets such a bad rap, and I suppose I agree when you compare it to some of her others, but I just giggle every time I think of this book. It is a quick read, and filled with the silliness of young women (and men) caught up in their own fantasies influenced by pop culture, circa 1700s. Add to that a woman disgraced and a father slighting a guest...all heck brakes lookse I tell ya!

message 17: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments I read a lot of Songs in Ordinary Time but couldn't get through it. I felt like it had a lot of potential but I kept waiting for something to happen-is it worth giving it another shot?

message 18: by KrisT (new)

KrisT I do agree with you there Kelly! It is not my favorite of hers but I do love the fantasys of the those young girls, the days when you read about some dashing knight on a white horse to come and save the damsel from the scary ghost haunting her room after being imprisoned by her horrible stepmother etc.
The pbs new movie of this the other night really showed the young girls fantasys taking her away. It was cute...and yes funny at times. Still not my favorite but I do like it too.

message 19: by KrisT (new)

KrisT I think you have to be in the mood for the slow moving story Joanie. I sort of was able to savor the story and then it does pick up when things start coming together at the end but it is no thrill ride that is for sure. Like the title it is the music of ordinary lives. (I do have to question how ordinary some of it is but you know what I mean).

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 25 comments Great count you've got going KrisT!

I'd never heard of the Odd series... looks fun; added to my ever-growing list of "to-reads".

message 21: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 21. The House of Meetings by Martin Amis

Not all I expected this one to be but it was an okay read about the concentration camps in Moscow in the late 40's and 50's.

message 22: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 22. Tell no One by Harlan Coben

Really good thriller, kept me on the edge for most of it.

message 23: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 23. Does my head look big in this? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Good YA book!!

message 24: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 24. The Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates

You never know where this author is going to take you in her books. I admit even when it was over I was still not sure but it kept me reading.

message 25: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 25. The Little House by Philippa Gregory

Not her typical historical this is a page turner in a psychological thriller almost...I could not put it down!

message 26: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 26. Heart full of lies by Ann Rule

A little true crime story for my "heart" challenge this month. It is so hard to read true crime because it really is crazier than fiction.

message 27: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 27. My heart may be broken but my hair still looks great by Dixie Cash

Most definately chick- lit but with a cute, strong and funny main character.

message 28: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 28. The Exact same moon by Jeanne Marie Laskas (NF)

This is a follow up to her memoir 50 acres and a Poodle which was really good also!!!

message 29: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 29. The Camel Club by David Baldacci

Political Thriller type fiction. It was not what I expected from this author after reading his Wish you Well many years ago but it was an okay read.

message 30: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 30. There's no place like here by Cecelia Ahern

I thought this was going to be a chicklit book but instead it turned out to be more of an alternate universe type book. I really liked this one!!!

message 31: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 31. Betrayal in Death by J D Robb #12 series

message 32: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 32. Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich

part of the between the numbers books...cute funny story!!

message 33: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 33. Still Summer by Jacquelyn Mitchard

More of a suspense story this time!

message 34: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments How was Still Summer? I like her stuff (and actually got to meet her last year at this "win a book club with the author" thing someone I knew won.) That was after Cage of Stars which was good, but really really sad.

message 35: by KrisT (new)

KrisT Joanie, I liked this one. At first I was not sure as it just seemed so regular but then it changed and was very suspenseful. I think it is a tiny bit different than her others but still there are life lessons there to learn which I think she sort of has in all her books.

message 36: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 34. These is my Words by Nancy E Turner

very good historical pioneer woman fiction!

message 37: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 35. The Plague Tales by Ann Benson

Interesting parallel tale, one set in the 1300's and the other in a futuristic 2005.

message 38: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle Want to let you know there is another ODD book coming out May 20th, called "Odd Hours"! YAY
I too love these books and am really happy that he gave into fan demand and kept writing this character. Its funny, I don't like ANY of his other stuff. :)
Great list btw. You read a lot. Way to go!

message 39: by KrisT (new)

KrisT Thanks Dawn, someone had mentioned it on another board. I loved the Odd series so far so will keep a lookout for the new ones.!!!

message 40: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 36. An Inconvient Wife by Megan Chance

Loved this historical psychological story. What a surprise it was!! I will have to try more of this author.

message 41: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 37. Heartstone by Phillip Margolin

First book by this author for me. Really some nice twists and turns in this mystery.

message 42: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 38. Born on a Blue Day: A Memoir (Inside the Extraordinary mind of an Autistic Savant) by Daniel Tammet

message 43: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 39. Charms for the Easy Life by Kaye Gibbons

Some really lovely writing in this book and the relationships between the grandmother, mother and granddaughter were very respectful and a joy to read about.

message 44: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 40. Cut to the heart by Ava Dianne Day
(Clara Barton and the Darkness of love and war)

message 45: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 41. Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson (YA)

Very good pioneering story!

message 46: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 42. The other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon

message 47: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 43. 7th Heaven by James Patterson

part of the Women's murder club series!

message 48: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 44. Chill Factor by Sandra Brown

message 49: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 45. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Sort of reminds me of the feel of Practical Magic. Cute light romantic story.

message 50: by KrisT (new)

KrisT 46. One Mississippi by Mark Childress

« previous 1 3 4 5