Lovers of Paranormal discussion

Stitch (Stitch Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Stitch
Awesome Author Interviews > AOTM - March - Samantha Durante

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cristina (last edited Feb 26, 2013 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Our upcoming Author of the Month for March is Samantha Durante, author of Stitch!!

Samantha not only offered her book for our R2R program but also won over our members with her book, and was voted for as our first Traveling Book!!

Get your questions ready! This topic will open on 3/1. Event has been created here:

http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/8...

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments It's time!!!!

Basic Questions:

Who is Samantha Durante? Describe her in 10 words!!!

Are you a dog person or a cat person?

Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream?

Beach or Mountains?

Gold or Silver?

Beef or Chicken? Wait...or are you a vegetarian???

Do you have a husband? Kids? Want some??

Writing questions:

When did you know you wanted to write?

Is writing your full time job?

Where do you write? Office/Bedroom/Kitchen/Bathroom?

Do you keep a notepad on you at all times for all your ideas?

Where did you get the inspiration for Stitch?

Do you have a favorite quote from your book?

Do you read a lot? What are YOUR favorite authors/books?

Do you have any tips for anyone who is an aspiring author?

About Us Questions:

Your book Stitch was offered as a R2R in our group....how did that go?

What are your thoughts on our program and our members?

Your book Stitch was also voted as our very first Traveling Book!! What

went through your mind when you found out? And was it scary when you

mailed the book to Cristina knowing that you wouldn't see it again for

quite some time?

Isn't Lovers of Paranormal the best group ever????

Because we are excited questions:

Can you give us a sneak peak of the next book??

How many books will you write in this series?

How many other stories are in your head?

message 3: by Carrie (Book Fairy), LoP Heart & Soul (new) - added it

Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort  (carriebookfairy) | 2889 comments Mod
I think Christina covered pretty much everything. I always ask authors What's your favourite paranormal book??

Congrats on author of the month!!

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments First off, thank you guys SO much for honoring me as your Author of the Month! I’m very, very excited to participate. :-)

Who is Samantha Durante? Describe her in 10 words!!!
Debut Author. New Wife. First-time Homeowner. Freelance Writer. Animal Lover.

Are you a dog person or a cat person?
I love both! I grew up with a dog, a great big Akita named Kuma with the most beautiful black velvet face – he was so loving and protective but also calm and actually very cat-like, and he was really like my brother – which is probably why I’m so attached to the direwolves in Game of Thrones! So I always *thought* I was a dog person, but then a few years ago me and my then-boyfriend (now husband) decided to adopt a cat. We were living in Seattle and traveling back to the East Coast a lot, and people told us it’d be easy to leave the cat while we went (unlike a dog). It turns out our Gio is NOT that kind of cat – he’s basically a dog trapped in a cat’s body – so he ended up taking many, many cross-country flights and road trips with us before we moved back to New York! Ku passed away a few years ago, so now Gio is the darling of my whole family (my parents refer to him as their “grandcat”). He’s very spoiled! But we definitely want to get a dog someday, too.

Vanilla or Chocolate Ice Cream?
This is another one where my preferences changed over time – I was a chocolate person my whole life, but lately I’ve started finding myself going for the vanilla. Hey, ice cream is ice cream – it’s all delicious!

Beach or Mountains?
Wow, I’m a really bad decider... I like both! In Seattle there was a beach I loved b/c it looked out over the Sound and you could see all the mountains in the background. Best of both worlds!

Gold or Silver?
Ok, I can do this one! Gold.

Beef or Chicken? Wait...or are you a vegetarian???
Haha, I’m what some people call a “flexitarian,” meaning I eat whatever but I do try to be conscious of eating less meat and only eating it when I really want it. I guess I’m actually a very conflicted omnivore, b/c I love animals and I harbor deep guilt about killing them for food when I have so many other options… but at the same time, could I really live without bacon cheeseburgers? And to answer your original question, beef. :-)

Do you have a husband? Kids? Want some??
Yup, my husband Sudeep and I just got married in September (right in the middle of the big launch tour for Stitch!). That was quite a whirlwind period in my life, let me tell you – I published my first book, got married, and bought and renovated my first house all in a span of 3 months!! I’m just happy to be able to relax now… though not for long, because we DO want kids soon! Deep will tell you we’re hoping for two, but we’re ACTUALLY going to have four… shh, I’m still getting him used to the idea!

Writing questions:

When did you know you wanted to write?
I always loved to write, and my mom always told me I should be a writer, but I never thought I could make a living doing writing, so it took me a LONG time (25 years) to actually pursue it professionally. I studied engineering and business in college and took a job in software engineering at Microsoft. But then I wanted to move back home to New York to be near my family, and I knew we were going to get married and start a family soon so I wanted a more flexible job than I had, and writing just seemed like the right answer. I started a company doing freelance business writing (marketing materials, website copy, blogs, etc. for small business clients), and once I got established, that’s when I started writing Stitch on the side for fun. :-)

Is writing your full time job?
Yes, it is! I would love for FICTION writing to be my full time job, but so far I haven’t even covered my costs with Stitch… sooo I think I’ll probably need to get a few more books out there before I think of doing that! But in the meantime, my business writing is fun and provides a steady income, so I can’t complain!

Where do you write? Office/Bedroom/Kitchen/Bathroom?
All over! I have a cute little office off my bedroom upstairs with a big ole window I like to sit in front of. Sometimes I write from bed, or the couch in the living room, or the kitchen island. And my new house also has this gorgeous sunroom where I put a turquoise chaise lounge – I like to write from there since it makes me feel all “luxurious” lol.

Do you keep a notepad on you at all times for all your ideas?
Yup, but it’s a OneNote doc on my phone. I often think of stuff as I’m falling asleep or when I wake up in the morning, so I’ve always got that thing nearby to jot down ideas!

Where did you get the inspiration for Stitch?
For my first book, I wanted to write a story that I was REALLY excited about. And I knew I loved paranormal romance, and ghosts, so I started there. I didn’t understand why there were so few books about college, so that’s why I chose that as a setting. But then I kept running into the same problem – I wanted a happy ending, and I couldn’t figure out how to unite my main characters at the end, being as one was dead and one was alive. I thought of a bunch of ideas – time travel, some kind of séance or meeting on a spiritual plane – but they just weren’t exciting to me, and didn’t feel true to the characters I’d envisioned (you think Alessa’s going to leave her sister to go live in the 1900s? Not happening). But I also love science fiction, so I was trying to think of other possibilities and then this crazy idea occurred to me to have this HUGE dystopian twist. I’d never read anything like that and my first reaction was, “I’d love to read that book! Why hasn’t someone written that book??” So I decided to do it – and Stitch was born!

Do you have a favorite quote from your book?
This is a really hard one. I’d have to go with the paragraph from the bottom of page 284, where Alessa is steeling her resolve for the fight ahead. It goes like this, “The frightened long-haired girl who had stepped through Paragon’s gates clutching her little sister – and the world that girl had come from – was no more. Alessa had decided that she was done being afraid. … She wasn’t going to be a victim anymore. She was going to fight.” It’s not particularly poetic or anything, but it really embodies what’s going on inside Alessa, that inner strength that makes her so special and keeps her going when the chips are down.

Do you read a lot? What are YOUR favorite authors/books?
Yes, I do, though once I started hanging out with all these book bloggers and Goodreads groups, I started feeling like a reading slacker! Haha. I love epic sci-fi/fantasy series that you can bury yourself in for days on end – Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, Chronicles of Narnia, Eragon, Game of Thrones (which I’m re-reading right now in anticipation of Season 3 on HBO!), and some of the great new dystopian series like Divergent and Delirium. But Pride and Prejudice is probably my all-time favorite.

Do you have any tips for anyone who is an aspiring author?
Yes – just do it! It took me SO many years to just accept that this was my dream and take a stab at it. The idea of writing a book is daunting, but really, anyone can do it – for me, all it took was planning. Once I fleshed out the characters and world and plot, I came up with a detailed chapter-by-chapter outline, and that allowed me to just sit down and write. And if you’re stuck for inspiration (which was also a big problem for me – I felt like every idea I thought of had been done to death already), just think about books you love to read and how you can combine different elements from them to make something different. That worked for me with Stitch!

About Us Questions:

Your book Stitch was offered as a R2R in our group....how did that go?
It went GREAT! I couldn’t believe how quickly everyone read the book, and how much they liked it! It’s always nerve-racking to get reviews, but it seems I found the right group! I am SO grateful to everyone who participated for their help, and it was really fun to get to talk to readers directly about what they thought.

What are your thoughts on our program and our members?
Wow, I’m FLOORED by this group! Everyone has just been SO supportive of me and Stitch, and it’s really such a beautiful feeling to enter a community as a complete stranger and be so wholly welcomed. I’m really impressed with all the different programs you guys have running (mods, I don’t know how you do it!!) and all the opportunities you offer both as a reader and an author. I had no idea that joining this group would be such an incredibly rewarding experience, and it really has been!!

Your book Stitch was also voted as our very first Traveling Book!! What went through your mind when you found out? And was it scary when you mailed the book to Cristina knowing that you wouldn't see it again for quite some time?
OMG, I was THRILLED when I found out! When I saw the initial post about the idea, I thought it sounded like the coolest thing EVER, and I could only dream that that would someday happen with my book (and that I’d somehow magically be able to get my hands on it after…). And then Stitch was chosen, and I just about died! I’m SO SO excited to see what readers have to say about it – it will be the ultimate keepsake. But yes, there is a lot of mailing going on (including internationally), so I AM a little worried about it getting lost somewhere along the way before it makes it home! But I’m trying to have a little faith in the postal system – I did ship hundreds of copies of Stitch to reviewers when it first launched and not one of them got lost, so hopefully this guy will make it everywhere intact as well! But I just can’t wait to see reader reactions as they go through the story – I always love to check that feature on Goodreads, and this is like that times a MILLION! I can’t wait!!

Isn't Lovers of Paranormal the best group ever????
Um, did you read my responses to the last few questions? Unequivocally, YES. You guys are the BEST. :-)

Because we are excited questions:

Can you give us a sneak peak of the next book??
Well since you asked so nicely… :-D This is the FIRST EVER snippet of Shudder I’ve shared outside my beta readers. It’s the very first paragraph from Chapter 1:
---
Hundreds of acid voices swarmed about her, their derisive gibes poking at her ears as she shuffled her way through the crowd. Stumbling over a loose rock, she caught herself, steadying her breath as it dawned on her that they’d all been gathered here for one purpose: to kill her.
---
Can’t tell you who it is, sorry!!

How many books will you write in this series?
Three planned right now, though I still don’t know exactly what’s going to happen in the third…

How many other stories are in your head?
I’ve got a OneNote notebook full of ideas, but right now there’s only one that I’m really dying to get to next. It’s about an underwater society, and a girl who makes one very big mistake that puts everyone living there in great jeopardy. That will probably be my next project, but I’ve still got to finish the Stitch trilogy first!

THANK YOU AGAIN for choosing me as your Author of the Month! I’d absolutely LOVE to answer any other questions you guys have! Please go wild and post them in the comments below! I’ll be checking back daily to make sure I don’t miss anything. :-)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Carrie wrote: "I always ask authors What's your favourite paranormal book??

Congrats on author of the month!!"

Thanks so much, Carrie! As much as Bella and Edward drive me nuts, I have to go with the Twilight series. I held off for a long time before reading it since I'm always skeptical of "fads," and then once I finally gave in (which I'm SO happy I did!!), I devoured all the books in a matter of days and literally entered a two week depression when I was done since I knew it was over. :'-( I was just super thrilled that Stephenie Meyer gave us such a great ending - Bella finally got awesome and everything worked out for everyone I cared about - what more can you ask for? I wish George R. R. Martin would take a page out of her book!!! Every time something irreversibly terrible happens to someone I love in Game of Thrones (which is often, sigh), I curse him. I'm still praying he'll wrap things up nicely in the end... though I have a feeling there will be at least a few more painful losses before he does!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Congrats, Samantha! I'm so happy that your book is doing well. Best of luck with writing. :)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Alexandra wrote: "Congrats, Samantha! I'm so happy that your book is doing well. Best of luck with writing. :)"

Thanks Alexandra!! Readers, if you guys don't know, Alexandra is also an author with lots of very creative and highly-rated books - I encourage you to check out her stuff on her author page! http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 8: by Carrie (Book Fairy), LoP Heart & Soul (new) - added it

Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort  (carriebookfairy) | 2889 comments Mod
Samantha Thanks for answering my question and you moved up a notch in my eyes for picking an amazing series!!!
I love my twilights books and was crushed it was over!

I haven't read Mr. Martin but, I'm will admit to watch the TV show (I know it's not the same) so I will look into those next THANKS!!!

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Carrie wrote: "I haven't read Mr. Martin but, I'm will admit to watch the TV show (I know it's not the same) so I will look into those next THANKS!!! "

You're welcome, Carrie! And the show is actually surprisingly close to the book (though they started to deviate slightly in Season 2), so if you're enjoying it, you'll def like the books!

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Awesome answers Samantha!! :)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Cristina wrote: "Awesome answers Samantha!! :)"

Awesome questions! That was a very fun (and thorough!!) interview, lol.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Samantha wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "Congrats, Samantha! I'm so happy that your book is doing well. Best of luck with writing. :)"

Thanks Alexandra!! Readers, if you guys don't know, Alexandra is also an author wit..."

Aw, thank you! :)

Erika Congratulations, Samantha! I LOVED Stitch and can't wai to read the next installment! How are excited are you to get your "traveling" copy back? I guess it's ok to say that I am excited to be a part of that group!

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Thanks Erika!! I'm SO excited to see the traveling book once it's done! It's so amazing to think of all the places it's been and how many different readers held it in their hands. I will treasure that copy forever, seriously. :-)

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Dear Samantha,

How much snow did you get THIS time????

Seriously, Mr. Groundhog...wth?!?!

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments OMG, I am SO ready for spring!! Only a few inches here this time, but I'm praying this will be the last snow of the season... March is really dragging this year, isn't it?

Cristina (mrsbudryzer) | 371 comments Oh, you have no idea!! lol My tulips are showing themselves and we get snow?? Really? Come on! We actually only got rain during this round of silly Jack Frost. But, really, I need some sun and 50+ degrees already! So do my tulips!!!

Danielle (Dannie) (daniellers2012) | 251 comments Thank you Samantha! I'm waiting for 'Stitch' to get to me since it is our current Travelling Book!!! :) I'm looking forward to reading it!!! :)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments You're welcome, Dannie! Awesome, very excited to see the Travelling Book making progress so quickly! Hope it gets to you soon!!

Danielle (Dannie) (daniellers2012) | 251 comments Samantha wrote: "You're welcome, Dannie! Awesome, very excited to see the Travelling Book making progress so quickly! Hope it gets to you soon!!"

I hope so too!! I'm waiting with undisguised impatience!!! LOL!!! :)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Hey everyone! Thanks so much again for hosting me as AOTM - it was such an honor! In case anyone is still following this thread, I just wanted to post a link to Stitch below since it's FREE on Kindle for the next 5 days. :-D I'm very excited about the upcoming release of the sequel, Shudder, on June 15th, so if you haven't read Stitch yet, now's the time to get your hands on a copy! More info below. Thanks!!

---

FREE - Stitch (YA/NA Dystopian/Paranormal Romance) by Samantha Durante - June 7-11th ONLY + $25 GC Giveaway!

A college ghost romance with a SURPRISING dystopian sci-fi twist, Part 1 of this trilogy is sure to keep you on your toes! (And better yet, Part 2 - Shudder - launches on the 15th!) Don't miss this innovative debut novel that will appeal to fans of the YA and New Adult genres.

Stitch (Stitch Trilogy #1) by Samantha Durante
Stitch (Stitch Trilogy, Book 1)
by Samantha Durante
Genre: YA/NA Dystopian/Paranormal Romance
Get Your FREE Kindle Copy Today! Limited Time ONLY (June 7-11th):
http://www.amazon.com/Stitch-Trilogy-...

Share the news for a chance to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card! (Open Internationally)
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/disp...

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Hey everyone! Wanted to let you know that Book 2 in the Stitch Trilogy, Shudder, is available today! More info here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1... :-)

Samantha (sdur211) | 58 comments Hey guys! The Shudder Blog Tour is ending, and to celebrate there's a HUGE giveaway going on until the 16th with lots of chances to win free copies, Amazon Gift Cards, and other swag - more info here: http://www.samanthadurante.com/2013/0... Best of luck! :-)